Sign in to follow this  
Turbine777

Martinair MD-11 DVD

Hi gents, I know a lot of you also own the Martinair MD-11 DVD (great dvd) so hoping someone can shed some light on something. During both of the flights there's a Stabilizer callout and weird buzzer sound I never heard before. Both the pilot and 1st officer don't seem to pay much attention to it, if any, and I can't make out what else is said in the aural warning.I watched it this morning and heard it on both the flight to Palma de Mallorca as well as the return trip back to Amsterdam. I just spent an hour or so looking for the chapter where you can hear it but now I can't find it so if no one knows I'll watch it again later and get some sort of timeline. I think it was sometime during the descent but it continues to elude me at the moment.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hi gents, I know a lot of you also own the Martinair MD-11 DVD (great dvd) so hoping someone can shed some light on something. During both of the flights there's a Stabilizer callout and weird buzzer sound I never heard before. Both the pilot and 1st officer don't seem to pay much attention to it, if any, and I can't make out what else is said in the aural warning.I watched it this morning and heard it on both the flight to Palma de Mallorca as well as the return trip back to Amsterdam. I just spent an hour or so looking for the chapter where you can hear it but now I can't find it so if no one knows I'll watch it again later and get some sort of timeline. I think it was sometime during the descent but it continues to elude me at the moment.
It's the "Stabilizer Motion" callout. You will hear this when your stab make quick angle changes.Sorry my bad englishMurillo Gumiero

Ahhh, the ole Stab motion callout :wink:Thanks Murillo, it was driving me nuts.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Ahhh, the ole Stab motion callout :wink:Thanks Murillo, it was driving me nuts.
Dan,if you don't hear this on the PMDG MD-11 then for SOME reason your stabiliser is not moving at its intended rate when trimming. Or you're not keeping the trim button pressed but only press it intermittently?Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Hi Markus, I always start from cold and dark and set my stab trim right before engine start with the use of the Aux pump maybe that's why? I think I once did it during taxi but don't remember if I ever heard that buzzer sound or Stabiliser Motion call out.My Trim set on my saitek throttle quardrant as a button in FSX controls with the repeat set to max. I hold it down when setting stab trim until close then one click at a time.

Dan Prunier

I don't hear it normally like in the Martinair DVD but if I manually control the trim in flight to a reasonable amount I do get the "Stabilser Motion" callout. I rarely do that so I have only heard it a couple times in all my flights without doing it intentionally.

That's probably why I never hear it. I never set the trim in flight because I either fly with Autoflight following my FP or I make course corrections via the heading knob. The only time I'm manually flying it is for a few miles after TO and about 1500' before touchdown, but by then the AP has set the trim and I'm just making small corrections lining up and landing.

Dan Prunier

With the PMDG MD11 you have to hold the trim for a certain number of seconds before it activates, they modeled the amount of time correctly according to the FCOM however it's far longer then any of us or the A/P needs to trim the aircraft in the FS world.In all the other MD11 films I've watched you don't hear the Stab motion call, in the Swiss air film they fly around six sectors and you dont hear it once, on the Martinair video it's going off all the time, I cant remember if they say what the CG was.

Rob Prest

The Stab Motion alert is not available on ground.If you want to hear the alert inflight, try hand-flying a go-around. If the aircraft accelerates fast then there's a good chance a substantial trim is needed on climbout. Remember, the idea is to fly the airplane in trim, don't just keep pulling or pushing the yoke to maintain the desired pitch.Dan, you definitely need to hand-fly her more often :) Try intercepting the ILS manually, it's good practice, or do it raw data without the FD, even better!Cheers,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Dan, you definitely need to hand-fly her more often :) Try intercepting the ILS manually, it's good practice, or do it raw data without the FD, even better!Cheers,Markus
I totally agree, Markus. I do indeed. I know I should list an excuse now to why I haven't but let me just say, I love the MD-11 just that much to where I've been content letting her do most of the flying. I also need to make room for my old flight yoke rather than the little tiny controller I've been using (hehe, I just noticed that last part was an excuse).

Dan Prunier

Hi everyone, I am not disputing anything said about the stab trim or call outs but I dont use stab trim at all, I set the stab trim in the Init page during the load and in particular during the cruise if you look at the dial next to the landing gear handle I can see the c.o.g. and the trim setting changing in increments all the time and this pattern continues all the way down to landing and everything is spot on no problems. richard welsh.

Oddly you get the warning with certain weights and hand flying, must depend on a set of circumstances.... certain loads versus climb rate, etc. Have heard it a few times Batting%20Eyelashes.gif John Ellison