Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Paging File

Some here say set the paging file to zero, but I am not sure this is a good idea. Or to 64MBs so that you have error reporting enabled properly. I have 6GB of RAM..Assuming the consensus is not to remove the paging file (Windows 7, 64-bit), where is the best place to put it? The OS is on a Corsair Force 60GB SSD. I also have two Spinpoint F3 HDDs - normally I'd move the paging file to the start of one of those drives, or better, have two smaller paging files (4GBs each?), one at the start of each HDD, leaving a small paging file on the SSD. Maybe it's a factor that constant writes to the SSD will shorten its life too? Or is it best to leave the paging file (I'd set the same min/max value) on the fast SSD?What would those 'in the know' recommend?Thanks,Martin

Guest wims

Never put the page file on an SSD, it will kill your ssd really quickly. Personally I keep a 9 gig fixed size pagefile for my 6 gig memory system. I keep it on a separate partition to avoid file fragmentation, but I'm not sure if its required when I use a fixed size.

"Never put the page file on an SSD, it will kill your ssd really quickly"Well, according the SSD manufacturers' comments I've read, that's a total myth. It may or may not make a small difference to the overall life of the SSD, but apparently the impact of writing to a page file is only ever relatively small. Well, that was a couple of 'expert opinions': I can only quote what I've read - I have no technical input on that myself.. I was really wondering about this from a performance point of view.I did quite a bit of research on this before posting. If I can find the pages I was reading with the above information, I'll post the link..Thanks,Martin

Guest wims

Yeah, well, im just paraphrasing what an ssd manufactorer was saying on their forum. Maybe these things have been improved since I was really into SSDs (I have an "old" ssd, first generation sandforce). But seeing that you have 6 gigs of ram I dont think you'll be using the pagefile much at all when you play FS.

I think I'll do more or less like you: put my page file off the SSD (but leave about 64MB on there for error reporting purposes), but split it between two 10GB partitions at the start of each of my two SATA HDDs - 5GBs page file on each. I have over 2TBs of space, so I can afford 20GBs for the page files. Current opinion seems to be that you should let Windows manage the size rather than set min & max to the same value (as has long been stated), but maybe the jury's still out on that one. (My defragger will defrag the page file, so that should be OK).Thanks for the replies,Martin

Guest TomOOO

Windows XP/Vista/7 all have good page file management and it would be normal to allow windows to manage it.Never set the page file to zero - if you over commit the memory the machine will likely crash. In any case,you will force all programs to leave their memory in physical RAM.It is usually best to have 2 disks and leave the OS + page file on C: and put all FSX on the second disk. Inthis way you will not have conflict with systems activities and scenery reading.SSD : they do have a limited R/W though they are quite good now. My work laptop only has SSD, so the pagefile is on the SSD. It is 3 years old and bit battered with going though airport security, but I have noproblem with data/program corruption.