Sign in to follow this  
Guest GabrielR

vornav

Sorry but a question, after setting the vor to the right frequency is the vor 1 indicator already set automatically? or do I have to set it using the knob. If so how do I find the exact directions for which to set the vor with the help of the radio. Thanks a lot.

Guest Macs

Your question couldn't have been more confusing. I have absolutely no idea what you're asking!"vor 1 indicator already set automatically?"Is what set automatically? The OBS/Course heading?The answer is no. There are 360 different possible directions you could fly, how would they know what direction you wanta go?For you to realise the correct OBS heading, you'd need to consult the charts/FlightplanJohnP 2.53 GHZ512 RAMWINXPGFORCE 4 128MB Ti4600http://homepage.eircom.net/~eamonnmca/images/logo_ba.JPGwww.bavirtual.co.ukhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

What I meant was once U tune the correct VOR radio frequency do I have to still turn the obs knob manually to the course I want to fly. In that case whats the point of the tuning to the VOR in the first place? Where do I get the correct headings, the map?

Guest rbbarker

Dear Thanks-A-Lot (you really should sign your posts), What I think you should do is spend some time going over Charles Wood's excellent tutorials on air navigation and specifically the section on VORs. It seems to me that you aren't completely clear on some of the key concepts of VOR navigation. Good luck and enjoy!http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/Boyd Barker, Senior Command CaptainDirector of Special ProjectsKBOS Hub ManagerWestWind Airlineswww.flywestwind.com

Guest Milamber

Of course you have to turn the OBS manually. As was said above how does it know what course you want to fly. The OBS selects what RADIAL of the VOR you want to fly down. You can use it to select a particular radial and then use the course deviation indication to guide you to that radial or you could just turn the knob until you have no course deviation and then turn to the heading indicated and that will have you heading towards the VOR on any radial. I sugest you read the section on VOR navigation in the Learning center. It will tell you all you need to get started :)

Guest GabrielR

yes they are completly right, one thing is setting the frecuency of the VOR, that means, you are tuned to the navigational Aid, no more...The other thing is selecting the course from or to the already tuned VOR.Think of the VOR as the central point of a circle, once you Localize (Tune) the central point you have to decide in wich Radial of the circle (heading:360 possibilities here) you fly, for example I want to fly on the 270 heading of the BOG VOR, that means:1 tune the BOG VOR2 select the 270 on the nob3 Fly Heading 270Now your going to get 2 things here:1. the arrow pointing UP which means you are going to the VOR Or, The arrow poinging Down which means your going away from the VOR (in other receivers you get a FROM/TO indication)2. Also you get a Deviation course that is the needle of the VOR gauge is broken, If the middle piece of the needle is pointing to the Left, that means that in order to intercept the Radial of the Selected VOR You have to turn Left and fly at a different heading until the Needle comes to the center, the same for the the opposite direction.Once I intercept the radial, I correct againg my heading to 270 and wait... If the needle deviates again, I have to correct again the heading, Chances are the wind is pushing me sideways... In the end I have to find the balance and keep the needle centered...If the VOR has a DME facility also, I will read the distance from/to the VOR... As soon as I get closer, the needle will start to swing from one place to the other, it is important not to start chasing the needle which is very sensitive due to the closer distance between the AC and the VOR...Hope this clarify a little bit... is a very basic explanation... of course a good tutorial is better, and necessary.