Sign in to follow this  
Guest OneTinSoldier

Lightning strike a Flight Sim 2004 aircraft?

Guest DonaldS

Hi:I was making a routine landing at Oklahoma City's Wily Post airport. A thunderstorm had developed between the time I took off from my home airport in Nebraska and by the time of my arrival at Wily Post airport.On final, I was nearly blinded; or so it seemed, by a very close flash of lightning. After safely landing, I did the Intant replay thing and viewed the aircraft from outside the aircraft, (something I never do) and saw how close my sim Mooney had come to being struck. Anyhow, I got to thinking. Has anybody flying FS 2004 ever been struck by sim-lightning? Or did MS rule out that possibility?Just curious.Regards,Don S

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi,I doubt that it's ever happened in an older version of the sim. But maybe in this newer version it's a possiblity. Even if it did hit you dead to rights I doubt it would do anything though. It'd probably just go right through the plane. But I'm guessing there. ;)Jim

I dont know if i was hit..but here is the detailsOn approach to CalgaryOnline Flash of lightning, same as you, very bright and quickInstruments - did the power on dance, lost my oil pressure gauges, they went to 0...came back on a min later.Could have been a processor thing, where the sim shut down somethings to make my FPS stay at 20??? I dont know..but was kinda kewl too think i was struck by lightning in a simulator.BUt i must say, the lightning is pretty darn kewl too watch.

Guest OneTinSoldier

Shooterman, whoa! That is cool. Makes me wonder if you really can get hit then. I was flying in a thunderstorm just a bit ago myself and had a very close call, but I didn't actually get hit. And yeah, they did do a great job on the lightning, it's cool to watch. :)Jim