Sign in to follow this  
OPS1

A stupid but a serious questions

If any of you are an airline pilot can you answer this stupid question. On the ground can you play a personal CD through the PA for passngers? I know youll be probably in the fightdeck listening to ATIS requesting clearences and doing checks. But can you do it! Cheers, Tom

Apart from the fact airline pilots will usually not talk too much to the pax during pre-flight, yes, it is possible to play pre-recorded tapes and of course music (not from the flight deck though).

I'm thinking the license that you purchase at most retail music and video stores wouldn't include the right to "exhibit" the material in a commercial environment like a store, restaurant (including bar), entertainment hall (at least by hall staff or a hired DJ) or vehicle for hire (again when the media was provided by a staff member). Most DVDs include a notice expressing this limit (and menu functions are often disabled when it's on screen). Record and CD labels often have information for entertainment professionals to submit to the brokers who distribute royalty payments.The point being, if the music has ANY role in attracting customers to a money making enterprise the publishers and/or artists are entitled to a share. The price for media targeted for the retail market is theoretically only providing that revenue source for your family entertainment and in home parties.

Aside from copyright discussion, I was talking to a friend one day who flies for Colgan. He was telling me about a guy he knew who had rigged a jack himself to play his Ipod over the PA.So yeah, in some cases it is POSSIBLE, but against company policy.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I always wondered what pilots do in critical stages of flight like before takeoff and suddenly have a case of diarrhea... :( You think of this stuff sometimes when your at home where you can put the sim on pause if there's an issue. You go come back and continue flying but in the real world holding something like that until you reach cruising altitude could be a problem.I think this qualifies as a 'stupid but serious question'. :(

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

If any of you are an airline pilot can you answer this stupid question. On the ground can you play a personal CD through the PA for passngers? I know youll be probably in the fightdeck listening to ATIS requesting clearences and doing checks. But can you do it! Cheers, Tom
You could play "The Smiths"..."And if a double-decker bus crashes into us... to die by your side, the pleasure, the privilege, is mine..."I'm sure the pax (especially the nervous ones) would love to hear that coming from the cockpit... :(

LOL, Morrisrey is awesome! :) He’s so brutal.I’ve always assumed if you flew with Bruce Dickinson (Astraeus Airlines) he’d play a little Aces High as you stowed your bags – just softly of course. LOL.gif

Danny

LOL, Morrisrey is awesome! :) He’s so brutal.I’ve always assumed if you flew with Bruce Dickinson (Astraeus Airlines) he’d play a little Aces High as you stowed your bags – just softly of course. LOL.gif
Danny
It would be quite entertaining for sure, I would love to see that happen.

He was telling me about a guy he knew who had rigged a jack himself to play his Ipod over the PA.
Don’t know why (it must be a personal problem) but I am always amazed at the callous (or blatant) disregard of the FARs by certificated individuals. :(
I always wondered what pilots do in critical stages of flight like before takeoff and suddenly have a case of diarrhea... :(
Hopefully a pilot uses the IM SAFE mnemonic to assess fitness to operate an aircraft to reduce something like that from becoming “an issue”. :(

Don’t know why (it must be a personal problem) but I am always amazed at the callous (or blatant) disregard of the FARs by certificated individuals. :(
I'm not sure where in the FAR's playing one's Ipod over the speakers is prohibited. It's light hearted enough and unless the stewies hate the music, can't see the issue.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I'm not sure where in the FAR's playing one's Ipod over the speakers is prohibited. It's light hearted enough and unless the stewies hate the music, can't see the issue.
Hi Zach,Where you said, "who had rigged a jack himself"... that...I took "rigging a jack" to mean "adding a jack" to the audio system.Apologies if that is not what you meant.Even adding an iPod to a Part 121 Aircraft (given there was an audio jack) the FAA might take a dim view of... but there I don't know.

FARs require us to comply with company procedures. If company manuals prohibit this sort of behavior, then behaving like this violates the FARs. The rigging of devices to input music into the flightdeck audio serves no purpose other than to violate parts of the flight ops manuals pertaining to flight deck duties that are commonly found in most airline's manuals. We already have a whole bunch of new laws working their way through Congress because of Colgan pilots. Do we need more?

FARs require us to comply with company procedures. If company manuals prohibit this sort of behavior, then behaving like this violates the FARs. The rigging of devices to input music into the flightdeck audio serves no purpose other than to violate parts of the flight ops manuals pertaining to flight deck duties that are commonly found in most airline's manuals. We already have a whole bunch of new laws working their way through Congress because of Colgan pilots. Do we need more?
God knows this new 1500 hr minimum for pt 141 hiring ####### me off... Thanks Colgan.On that note, my question was more rhetorical than anything but I appreciate you know what you're talking about. LOL.gifBTW Rob, after I thought about it I figured that's what you assumed. Sorry I was vague!

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

God knows this new 1500 hr minimum for pt 141 hiring ####### me off... Thanks Colgan.On that note, my question was more rhetorical than anything but I appreciate you know what you're talking about. LOL.gifBTW Rob, after I thought about it I figured that's what you assumed. Sorry I was vague!
I think you meant pt. 121 ops. :biggrin:Also the way the bill is worded only PIC will require the ATP cert. SIC's can still be hired with a commercial only. Seems like the FAA is forcing the industry back to the hiring minimums of the 1990's. I just wish the FAA, Senators, and the general public would stop thinking hours is the end all to experience. I have flown with 500 hour SIC's that knew the aircraft inside and out and most importantly could fly the aircraft correctly. Then I have flown with 12,000 hour Captains that had me wishing I took a sick day.