Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

Thinking of Flying more FS9 and less FSX

So I am starting to become a bit frustrated with the long load times and sometimes not so great performance with FSX. Although my computer is pretty solid, I have alot of addons and FSX is starting to become unstable. Since I have many great addons for FS9, I am thinking about spending more time with FS9 in the near term. My question is: What can I do to make FS9 great? The programs I am thinking will help most are REX, GEX, and UTX (I have the FSX versions of all of these and they are great). Would adding these transform FS9 to a new level that make it look and feel quite a bit like FSX? Any input would be appreciated.Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Briefly, as I have to go to sleep (it's 2:25 a.m. here).Yes, there are many addons which will let you make FS9 look unbelievably excellent.But I wouldn't suggest asking people to compare it to FSX, as it might lead to another nervous (maybe locked) thread.The 'FS vs FSX' posts, including comparing their visual aspect, never lead to anywhere.If you are used to high resolution ground textures and Earth's curvature, you WILL miss them in FS9 anyway.I believe it also matters if you fly GA or heavy metal. In the first case I don't think going back to FS9 would do it a justice.For jets, mega airpots and dense traffic, that is another story.Also please remember that to make FS9 look great, you will have to use A LOT OF addons.Most of them (like GE, UTE, REX and all the aircraft and airports you will want to use) are paid, so think twice if buying many addons is a better way than saving some money to improve your computer and enjoy FSX.Take care!

Briefly, as I have to go to sleep (it's 2:25 a.m. here).Yes, there are many addons which will let you make FS9 look unbelievably excellent.But I wouldn't suggest asking people to compare it to FSX, as it might lead to another nervous (maybe locked) thread.The 'FS vs FSX' posts, including comparing their visual aspect, never lead to anywhere.If you are used to high resolution ground textures and Earth's curvature, you WILL miss them in FS9 anyway.I believe it also matters if you fly GA or heavy metal. In the first case I don't think going back to FS9 would do it a justice.For jets, mega airpots and dense traffic, that is another story.Also please remember that to make FS9 look great, you will have to use A LOT OF addons.Most of them (like GE, UTE, REX and all the aircraft and airports you will want to use) are paid, so think twice if buying many addons is a better way than saving some money to improve your computer and enjoy FSX.Take care!
As far as addons go, I have a ton of them, and the vast majority (including almost every mega airport and mytraffic X which I use currently in FS9 and FSX) are for both FS9 and FSX. In fact, I probably have more for FS9, so no issues there. The things I am missing most are ground and sky textures. Also, I fly almost 100% heavy metal, so I generally only get close to the ground near the airports. I have been using FS9 more lately as I have it installed on a couple of pc's along with FSX.I guess the question then is would adding the ground textures and REX push FS9 to where it needs to be. By the way, I certainly have no intentions of starting a FS9 vs. FSX war, since both are great sims and these debates serve no purpose.I know that no matter what I add to FS9 it will still not be quite what FSX is, but if I can get close I think I will be happy.Cheers, Pete

As far as addons go, I have a ton of them, and the vast majority (including almost every mega airport and mytraffic X which I use currently in FS9 and FSX) are for both FS9 and FSX. In fact, I probably have more for FS9, so no issues there. The things I am missing most are ground and sky textures. Also, I fly almost 100% heavy metal, so I generally only get close to the ground near the airports. I have been using FS9 more lately as I have it installed on a couple of pc's along with FSX.I guess the question then is would adding the ground textures and REX push FS9 to where it needs to be. By the way, I certainly have no intentions of starting a FS9 vs. FSX war, since both are great sims and these debates serve no purpose.I know that no matter what I add to FS9 it will still not be quite what FSX is, but if I can get close I think I will be happy.Cheers, Pete
HelloUltimate terrain , GE pro , REX together with your airport sceneries and you are nearly there.Add ENBseries mod and i-Fly 737 and you will start to see why a lot of us are still in this forum.

Fsglobal if you want better quality mesh for the entire fs9 world.
I currently have Fscene installed for the entire world since I got fscene x on the cheap a few months back. If I had to pick one, would REX be the first choice?Cheers, Pete

would REX be the first choice?
REX is nice, really. Anyway you can try something free for a starter. Try Pablo Diaz freewarer but excellent HD sky textures:http://library.avsim...ftp&DLID=143422And to make it clear, Pete:FSGlobal - mesh (there is also FSGenesis and tones of freeware mesh files)FScene - ground textures (like Ground Environment Standard or Pro)UT - roads and waters + landclass (guess you know, you have UTX)REX - environment (sky, water, etc) textures + Weather Engine (so a double gain if you don't have Active Sky)You could also replace the autogen trees with this freeware: http://library.avsim...=ftp&DLID=84502

I currently have Fscene installed for the entire world since I got fscene x on the cheap a few months back. If I had to pick one, would REX be the first choice?Cheers, Pete
HelloIt is all down to personal preference but in my opinion GE pro is much nicer than FSceneThe colors in FScene are just too bright.http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=gepro

HelloIt is all down to personal preference but in my opinion GE pro is much nicer than FSceneThe colors in FScene are just too bright.http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=gepro
Yeah i sort of figured that was the case. I have everyone of these for FSX and they are fantastic. I figured I would get Fscene a while back since it was so cheap for the whole pack, included FSX (which was useful for the non GEX covered continents) and I still flew FS9 from time to time to use some of my older addons not compatible with FSX. Since there is a discount on REX for FS9 if you already pruchased the FSX version, I figured I can start here. One more thing; I have real environment pro (freeware) installed for FS9. Does REX for FS9 blow this away?Cheers, Pete

Yeah i sort of figured that was the case. I have everyone of these for FSX and they are fantastic. I figured I would get Fscene a while back since it was so cheap for the whole pack, included FSX (which was useful for the non GEX covered continents) and I still flew FS9 from time to time to use some of my older addons not compatible with FSX. Since there is a discount on REX for FS9 if you already pruchased the FSX version, I figured I can start here. One more thing; I have real environment pro (freeware) installed for FS9. Does REX for FS9 blow this away?Cheers, Pete
HelloReal environment pro was Tims freeware set of textures and very nice, but then he went away and created REX along with Reed Stough the author of Weather maker pro.REX is a lot better with a huge amount of different texture sets.