Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shayt

The ALT key halts my FS2004!

Guest Shayt

hey guys!67 viewers and no one encountered this problem? or any idea for solution.Pleeeease try to help!Thanks in advance,Shay

If you're talking about halting as in pausing the sim, then this is normal. The Alt key pauses the sim and pulls down the menu options when in full-screen mode. I don't believe there is a way to stop this.-Smitty

Guest Shayt

The point is that after I press ALT, the FS indeed freeze but the menu doesn't appears! So I have to go outside of the FS, either by Ctrl-Alt-Del or by moving to window mode and then back again. One thing more that complicates the problem is that it doesn

Guest Shayt

Hello Fellow Simmers,I finally got my own FS2004! Installation was very easy and without any hesitations I start it in order to see how my low-mid range PC will handle the job.Surprisingly, it did quite well! Unless the 3D clouds are above 30-40% , I've got 20 FPS (locked) with almost no stuttering. I haven't tried any dense areas since most my flight are GA/VFR. My only problem is that every time I press the ALT key in order to get the pop-up menu, everything halts and I have to go out using the Ctrl-Alt-Del, go in again and then I can use the menu. It happens to me in window mode as well.First I thought that it may be my drivers so I installed the new Omega drives but with the same results.Anyone encountered the same problem? Any suggestions?ThanksShayMy rig:EPOX 8KHA+AMD XP+1700ATI Radeon 8500LE 64MB512MB DDR2100

Hi Shay,Are you using current drivers and do you have AA enabled? Try updating your drivers or disabling AA and see if this helps.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 Mechanic

Guest Shayt

John,Thanks for the response.Yes, I've installed the latest ATI drivers and disabeld the AA. No good so far.Thanks again,Shay

Guest southie4

If you had not just indicated that it only happens most rather than all the time, I was going to suggest that you try shrinking the image on your monitor a bit. It had sounded to me as if the menu bar was there but not visible due to being beyond the viewing area of the monitor. Ditto for the red text upon hitting "control/z".Robert

You don't say your OS but this happened in FS2002 with XP and SP1. Turning OFF AA in the sim was the fix then. You might also check your screen refresh rate. It really sounds like your screen display is stretched outside of your physical screen.If you press ALT and see nothing, what happens if your press ESC and then ALT ENTER - get to windowed mode?hth,Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

The ALT key with win xp is used for anthor function, but can be turned of somewhere. I have Dragon's Lair 3D on PC and with XP with ends the program, so had to assign it another key. Also one other program I used the ALT key with something else, and had a message saying something about this being able to be turned of in XP, but cannot remember anymore, but ALT is used as a function in XP

Hi,You haven't by any chance got a program like 'Powerstrip' running in the background? I do and quickly found I had to reassign the default ALT-SHIFT-M combo, that powers down my monitor, to CTRL-SHIFT-M if I wanted to execute a soft switch monitor power down while the sim was running.Mike

Guest Shayt

Hi Guys,Thanks for all the tips and remarks. I was impressed by idea if the enlarged screen as the cause of the problem, though the phenomena appears only 90% of the time. Anyway, I found a way to overcome the problem and it well may connect to the enlarged screen. When I press the ALT key and the screen is paused, I move the mouse pointer to the upper edge of the screen, press it and suddenly the menu appears! So I still don

OK - now that's a different issue. I've had that happen several times when I was trying out different video drivers for my GeForce4 TI4600. I'm currently using 4403 and don't have the problem. FWIW, when the problem occurred, ZI also had issues with AA.I'd try another driver AND double check your refresh rate.HTH,Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors