Sign in to follow this  
Guest padds

MS F9 Patch..You know ,

Richard I will post some problem flights in the next few days for people to try out. Flights that, at least for me, give very poor framerates. I would really appreciate if people who don't have a problem also try them, and also list their configuration.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest FPSFREAK

As a hardware guy I feel a need to respond here. As Big noted, one should not be flamed for an opinion or question that doesn't jive with others so......On with the show.Have any of those that are having problems ever read the back of the box stating system requirements?. You do realize that this is the minimum requirements for the minimum outcome. To play it. Period, dot end of story. This is assuming a machine in top condition. Not actually top rated hardware but good condition. It amazes me how many people whine and moan about poor performance pointing fingers at everything except the last thing sitting in front of that computer.........YOU. The USER.For those that want even decent performance from a program, especially one as involved as FS9 stop the finger pointing and MS bashing for a minute and start at the top. Or the front if you like. You the user.When was the last time you did a good defrag of your machine? With a good Defrag program, not MS's default app? If you spend more than 2 hours a day on your machine and you answered more than 5 days ago, than here we have fault #1.How many are running anti-virus software and don't disable it before firing up the sim? Fault #2I'm sure we are all running the latest Bios / Chipset drivers / Video card drivers and updates for our OS right? Highly unlikely so..Fault #3Adaware/Spyware is a notorious culprit for stealing memory and CPU cycles. When was the last time you checked?. Been on KAZAA or such in the last 24 hours? Check again, you'd be surprised. Fault #4How many of you have a start bar that looks like a software add for COMPUSA. 9 apps loading at startup stealing 40% of your resources. Sure 512 megs of Corsair memory is great but not if 220 megs of it are being eaten up by uneeded apps and services. Fault #5Not finally but I think I'm getting my point across, how many of you are just flat out trying to get the Sim to run at slider settings that are just not doable on your machine?. I don't agree with it but you do realize that the minimum requirements to run are based on the minimum settings within the sim. All sliders to the LEFT.If this has come across sarcastic or snotty it was not meant to be. Does FS9 need a patch?. Only for those issues that are reproducible on a broad number of setups proving a fault with the code and not the user's equipment.I realize that not everybody has the resources to spend on a system to truly appreciate the beauty that is FS9. If that's your case than understand that you than need to do things to maximize your performance. Not Mr. Gates or Microsoft. We want the software, his company creates. Have you ever thought of how many different hardware combinations there are. Now try to figure out how to get a program to run good on everyone of them. Windows XP has over 50 MILLION lines of code. It supports over 12,000 different devices in over 15 languages. The problem with most people is that they expect perfection in a world (Computers) that it is almost impossible to make everyone happy.I'm done with my rant. I am now applying my Airport firefighters suit and await the heat.Bobby

Guest Bigshot

That's a good idea. Just make sure they're short flights cause I'm impatient. I like to takeoff, fly 60 miles; land; takeoff again and fly back. Maybe there's a problem with specific spots that I haven't run across yet.

Guest panzerschiffe

I've also had the aircraft hopping problem occassionally. Usually with very heavy jetliners. Nothing enough to make the landing gear break, but I've no idea what could cause it to happen.

"I've also had the aircraft hopping problem occassionally. Usually with very heavy jetliners. Nothing enough to make the landing gear break, but I've no idea what could cause it to happen."What's the phrase for the newest web craze, where a bunch of people show up at some odd place like a McDonalds in Hong Kong and act a bit odd? Maybe that explains the a/c hopping? :)-John

Guest RichD

I'll be happy to give them a shot and post the results.Richard

Guest Ideas

You forgot Fault #6 - adding Add-ons that may not be fully compatible. After all, the SDKs are not even out yet.

Guest 747drvr

These tweaks you just mentioned in your reply have been done this is the conditions AFTER the tweaks. my sys is a pent4 with 2.53ghx 1gddram 533 fsb gfti 4600 1208 mb soundblaster 5.1 gamer(might be my prob here)17 in monitor latest patches from ms, no sp1, All the latest drivers. as far as point 5 goes you can try it anyware really. At first it was kind of cool but now annoying.

Guest 747drvr

I tried it very very chuppy like watching a fast slide show anything over 17 is good no slide show. i lock mine at 22

Guest FPSFREAK

>The sim does not run on MS min req...adequately to enjoy alll>of its options.Sure it does. And where does it say on the box, these minimum requirements will allow you to use all the features?>There is no gaurentte upgrading to the top, like some of the>specs seen here, will help.There's not? I can gaurantee that more than half the issues are from users with machines that are really not suited to running the sim the way "THEY" want it to run. This than makes it there fault, not the sims.>I have more power than MS asks for..the sim does not run>smooth.Again, what settings are you trying to run the sim at? In your case your major setback is the Video card your running. A very major setback at that.>The frame rates are never the same for me. I have been to some>airports at nite ..12-=15-20 fps. I have 3d clouds going 12-15>20 grate love it. Land a plane in a rural airstrip, The sim>hogs down to a 4-6-8 slide show..there is no scenery there.So>system or not, you can not prove a larger system will help.Yes I can if you'd like. Pick a strip and a setup. I will set my machine up the same way and lets see if there is a difference. Your framerates won't always be the same. The sim is always changing as are the tasks the cpu is performing at that moment. As far as rural meaning no scenery, your wrong, some of the more mountainous terrain contains some pretty complex textures to load.>Anyway that was not the point when I point the sim.>Is it the cpu, ram, card , or the simDepends on the situation. Could be any or all. Also depends on the hardware.>P4 1.4 256 m rambus GF 440 128m. Oh, it is a small system,>but I have had most of fs sims and this is a dog.Every Sim before this A: Never came close to the abilities this one has. B: Never was able to utilize DX9 C: Never was as complex.Unfortunately with that staement your comparing apples to oranges.This was not meant as a flame. Just trying to point out errors in your statements to help you understand why your situation is what it is.Bobby

I agree with this post. I also have to say that most of us in here know what we are doing with our computers. I regularly see folks basically insulting ones intelligence when it comes to "did you try this or that etc" We all know how to run pretty much lean and mean machines. When so many high end computer users are having these kinds of problems there is most definitely something wrong with the code. Yeah it runs ok here, but i have seen these other issues. Not everything was solved for me by going from a GF4 ti 4200 to a Radeon 9800. It made a big difference, but its not magic. Hell, just the menu/fullscreen issues alone with the Radeon line justify some kind of work on MS's part to at least help ATi work out the driver issues. When you release a game/sim that won't run correctly on three out of four of the top end video cards, you have to ask what was up with final QA and testing. I'm not pointing any fingers, i know how it works, MS just made some bad last minute decisions IMHO. We are not a bunch of whiners, we are demanding software owners, and by the way, very experienced ones at that.Hornit

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi Bobby,Great post! :D I really enjoyed reading it and think you are da man! :-lol MSFS isn't perfect, and there may some fairly major bug found in it yet. I don't know. Don't think I see one though. But I'm willing to do some of JimmiG's tests to help see if there is some issue that is hard to pinpoint.But anyway, I have a fairly powerful system by todays standards(it's not the latest and greatest anymore) and the sim runs REALLY good now after quite a bit of trying this and that. I found that I cannot run with every slider turned all the way to the right, hehe. But pretty close though! I have listened to all of Bigshots suggestions and now have what I think is probably just about the same settings he does and it runs just fine, thank you Bigshot. :)Regards,Jim Richards

Guest FPSFREAK

> I agree with this post. I also have to say that most of us>in here know what we are doing with our computers. I regularly>see folks basically insulting ones intelligence when it comes>to "did you try this or that etc".Explain to me how telling someone to try this or try that is insulting. Perhaps it's not what's being said so much as how it IS said. The same could be said about how certain questions are asked. We all know how to run>pretty much lean and mean machines. When so many high end>computer users are having these kinds of problems there is>most definitely something wrong with the code. Yeah it runs ok>here, but i have seen these other issues. Not everything was>solved for me by going from a GF4 ti 4200 to a Radeon 9800. It>made a big difference, but its not magic. Hell, just the>menu/fullscreen issues alone with the Radeon line justify some>kind of work on MS's part to at least help ATi work out the>driver issues. When you release a game/sim that won't run>correctly on three out of four of the top end video cards, you>have to ask what was up with final QA and testing. I'm not>pointing any fingers, i know how it works, MS just made some>bad last minute decisions IMHO.Why should MS write code for a Video card that wasn't even released when FS9 was available? I'm quite sure that MS is working side by side w ATI to remedy the situation. For right now I'll live with the flickering menus knowing I have amazing visuals and framerates and a fix is imminent. It's called product development. Can you name one application that at some point hasn't had a bug or fix released for it. As far as I know the only real cards having issues are the Radeons. Besides there are only really 2 top end video cards. the 9800 and the 5900. Nobody said going to 9800 would be magic. The same people screaming it didn't really make a difference are probably the ones pairing it with a 933 P3 or an older T-Bird running SDRAM.If "We" all knew how to run pretty lean machines than there really wouldn't be any need for this or the hardware forum now would there?> We are not a bunch of whiners, we are demanding software>owners, and by the way, very experienced ones at that.On the contrary. There are quite a few whiners. The people who have a legitimate problem are a lot different from the people who come in here crying becuase the sim won't run on their machine the way "THEY" want it to. Reality is a hard thing to grasp sometimes and pointing the finger at oneself is not the first thing that is done.There is a difference between being demanding and knowing the limitations of ones equipment. Oh and by the way....Not everyone is experienced as you state.Bobby