Sign in to follow this  
mcnobody

The infamous Martinair MD-11

Hello.I hope it's ok to post this here. This is a preview of one of the more well-known MD-11s in the scene. The infamous PH-MCS (CS-503) - operating for Martinair - which you know from the ITVV "Boeing MD-11" Amsterdam-Palma de Mallorca roundtrip DVD. Actually I only the snippets which are available on a video-sharing website, but that's already quite impressing.Everything is handpainted except the parts coming with the paintkit. I tried to make it as exact as possible. All small decals should be in place. I haven't seen a repaint of this one yet, so now everyone can fly that roundtrip.Thanks for watching and comments are welcome.-Christian

Very nice work sir! Now I just need to grow a MASSIVE moustache like Captain Ruud Bakker and I'm all set :(

Rob Prest

Get yourself Ms Miriam from dispatching and F/O Robert and then you're set. :( Wonderful, nice work!

Great job here Christian, I look forward to downloading. Other than the mustache Rob mentioned I need to practice the Sean Connery accent as well :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Looking forward to the release!!!!!!After studying the ITVV video, I went ahead and did both flights with my FSX PMDG bird with the PMDG "cargo" variant of this paint. Even using real world weather on the eham to lepa flight (9/17/10 at 9:24z) and the return flight on 9/23/10 at 13:42z, the winds favored the exact same runways as the video! Here are the routes I used in case anyone wants to replicate:EHAM to LEPA LEKKO UN872 MEDIL/N0430F370 UN872 KOVIN UY317 RESMI UN857 DIRMO UN855 PPG UP84 LORES Sid: Lekko1s rwy 18LStar: Lores1p rwy 24LCruise altitude: 39000Actual Flight time: 1 hr 54 minutesLEPA to EHAMGALAT UN861 FISTO UY156 ADABI UN858 VADOM UN874 BAMES UT191 PODEM UN873 BELDI UY473 LUMIL UY873 DENUT Sid: Galat1a rwy 24RStar: Denut1a rwy 18RCruise altitude: 38000 Actual Flight time: 2 hours 2 minutesHere's an interesting note, the first half of the lepa-eham route is west bound so I used a even numbered cruise alt (FL380). However, at the FOUCO waypoint at the half way point, the direction changes to east bound, which also happened to coincide with my a/c's FMC suggested step climb to FL400; so instead of climbing to FL400 I climbed to FL390 to be compliant with west(even)/east(odd) cruise level rules. This is my first flight where the route was not in either exclusively east or west direction, but both. Did I do the right thing? This is a nitpicky detail I'm sure, but I try to do everything by the book :Thinking:Anyhow, will be on the lookout for the proper passenger paint. It was odd to be at the Schiphol gate with the huge barn door opening!

Hello!First of all, thanks a lot for the comments. I didn't expect so much interest in this livery. In addition to the other posts, I'll have to grow that mustache too, work on my english accent and - even more - work on the coolness Mr. Bakker has while flying the aircraft.Iñigo: I own the PMDG MD-11 only for FS2004, so that version is definitly covered, if those are your worries. Regarding the FSX version, I have to check what I can do.A.J.: Thanks a lot for the routing, I'll have a look at it. Too add to the realsim - Gate Golf 9 is the departue gate in Amsterdam which they are using in the video. Regarding the cargo door, since CS-503 is a Convertible Freighter (CF) I have included it. But I am using the PAX model of the PMDG MD-11, so the main cargo door can't be opened unless you are changing the model.For realism purposes we only need the Martinair MD-11 checklist now - anyone who can give an input? :-)Kind regards,Christian

Two more shots of the bird while flying from - guess where - Amsterdam to Mallorca.Got to find some time to prepare files and ipload it to Avsim, I guess not before tomorrow.Comments are welcome.-Christian

Hi Christian,Just to through it out there. If you want to send me your .psd files I can pump out the FSX version for you and mail it back soon as I finish.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hi Christian,Just to through it out there. If you want to send me your .psd files I can pump out the FSX version for you and mail it back soon as I finish.
Hi Christian & Dan.You two guys are the cream of just what this particular PMDG Forum is all about.Where would the rest of us not-so-talented mere mortals be? It was watching that Martinair MD-11 DVD which I bought ages ago at Manchester Airport's aviation shop that prompted me to go for the MD-11,but after having had a taste for it with the Alain Capt SwissAir version,I decided to wait patiently for the PMDG output because having the B1900,737NG and the 'Queen of The Skies' products,I knew they would do a sterling job.And in the end,although it took a long,long time to land,for FS2004,it was worth the wait,now made all the more better by the inputs from guys like you two.Well Done.Look forward to both your uploads.

Thanks but Christian's the one that did all the work. I just figured I offer to do the FSX files since I have the plugins (just in case he doesn't) and FSX paints is just what I'm just more familiar with. I know no matter how many paints I do when it comes time to do one for FS9 I have trouble remembering the steps so just imagine it's the same in reverse for others. The whole process only would take about 5 minutes but only because again, he already did the actual work.In case you want to do them yourself Christian, and just in case you're not sure, there are only few differences:

• The alpha channel
  • Mipmaps (not a huge deal though)
  • Flipping each texture Vertical
  • Saving as DDS
  • Thumbnail 256x128, named "thumbnail"
  • Texture.cfg
    • Due to the Texture.cfg you only need to supply the textures you painted (Others will use the fallback method).

[*]Possibly some Aircraft.cfg changes, but not always.

Personally I find FSX paints much easier, it's just a matter of remembering the differences. I NEVER remember the FS9 procedures without looking at the tutorial, haha.

Dan Prunier

Here are the routes I used in case anyone wants to replicate:EHAM to LEPA LEKKO UN872 MEDIL/N0430F370 UN872 KOVIN UY317 RESMI UN857 DIRMO UN855 PPG UP84 LORES Sid: Lekko1s rwy 18LStar: Lores1p rwy 24LCruise altitude: 39000Actual Flight time: 1 hr 54 minutesLEPA to EHAMGALAT UN861 FISTO UY156 ADABI UN858 VADOM UN874 BAMES UT191 PODEM UN873 BELDI UY473 LUMIL UY873 DENUT Sid: Galat1a rwy 24RStar: Denut1a rwy 18RCruise altitude: 38000 Actual Flight time: 2 hours 2 minutesHere's an interesting note, the first half of the lepa-eham route is west bound so I used a even numbered cruise alt (FL380). However, at the FOUCO waypoint at the half way point, the direction changes to east bound, which also happened to coincide with my a/c's FMC suggested step climb to FL400; so instead of climbing to FL400 I climbed to FL390 to be compliant with west(even)/east(odd) cruise level rules. This is my first flight where the route was not in either exclusively east or west direction, but both. Did I do the right thing? This is a nitpicky detail I'm sure, but I try to do everything by the book :Thinking:Anyhow, will be on the lookout for the proper passenger paint. It was odd to be at the Schiphol gate with the huge barn door opening!
Thanks for the routes A.J. I'm about to test flight the recently finished FSX version, hopefully available soon.FSD.jpg

Dan Prunier