Sign in to follow this  
Guest flying_pilot

Ariane or PMDG 737 for FS9??

PMDG, hands down. Ariane isn't even in the same leauge.Bear in mind the PMDG offering comes with a full panel setup incl FMC, virtual cockpit & sounds. As well as beautifuly painted textures. Ariane model comes with a horrible FDE, no panel, no VC, no sounds and horrible textures.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey Kevinc5,Personally I'm waiting for the Dreamfleet 737, due out in the middle of next year. You might be interested in reading the new PMDG 737NG review at flightsim.com before you commit to buying, I know it has saved me some money...for now.CheersDavid

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hello Kevin,There are what some of us that feel there are some discrepencies with that review. Admittedly, we are PMDG users, but read this post if you want to see what I and a few other users think about the review. Much of the review is pretty good. But if I were to review the review, I wouldn't call it excellent.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...&topic_id=16862Regards,Jim Richards

if you like the classics with a nice panel with TCAS, go for the Ariane one, although the panel has no FMC, but the TCAS has real callouts :Dif you like ti have a buggy 737NG, PMDG is recommended. It is flyable but even after 1.1 patch it is still not performing like the Ariane 737 with the same system specs. certainly, they work on it. but how long will it take, till the product is finished.both AC's are well modelled, however the PMDG one has flaws in the visual model. decide for yourself if details like nose shape are important to you or not ;)cheers

Guest Toni Rauch

"Chalk and cheese"PMDG wins in every aspect (authenticity, eye candy, flight dynamics/handling, panel inclusion, sound, support, free liveries, ongoing product enhancement, bug-fixing, value for money, etc.)However, Ariane does feature a cardboard-cutout 'stewardess' blocking the doorway......Toni.

please understand that the choice between PMDG and Ariane, is not only a matter of detailsI have both, i am flying the Ariane 737-BBJ with the PMDG panel, simply because Ariane has no NG panel yetThere are flaws in the PMDG noseshape and in the pylons, as an example, however, everyone must decide himself what such details are worth for him. there are a real bunch of freeware liveries for the Ariane 737-300 and -400 / -500, painted by me or other freeware artistshttp://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...0&CurrentPage=1if you are a 737 fan, you may consider to purchase all of them- 737-200 from Dreamfleet, once it's out- 737-300 + TCAS II analog panel from Ariane- 737-400 from Dreamfleet, once it's out- 737-500 from Ariane- 737-600/-700 from PMDG- 737-BBJ from Arianefor me this is the roadmap :D now choose yours, cuz this is more a matter of believing than of pure facts.;)cheers

Come on Martin, the nose shape? Maybe that is your opinion and one other guy I know but please show your proof with detailed comparisons. I would say that fact that you fly a 737 without a FMC is more of a issue than the nose shape.. [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/winglets_lg.jpg [h3] AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]

well there was a few weeks ago a quiz in the screenshot forum, about the nose issue. i added there a few pics, it say now "pictures have been deleted by the administrator":D i will of course upload them later.@Randy. all i said, is, for me the nose shap is more important than flying a 737-300 with an FMC. maybe you care more about the FMC. your decission. no need to be flaming ;)my opinion, my choice, my money :D

Guest Tim W

Martin>>Randy. all i said, is, for me the nose shap is more important than flying a 737-300 with an FMC. maybe you care more about the FMC. your decission. no need to be flaming <http://www.cambridgeflyingclub.com/images/timavatar2.jpg

>Martin>>>Randy. all i said, is, for me the nose shap is more>important than flying a 737-300 with an FMC. maybe you care>more about the FMC. your decission. no need to be flaming <<>>I don't think in any way can Randy's remarks be construed to>be "flaming" you. He was just voicing a valid opinion that>didn't agree with yours. I happen to agree with him.>>Don't be so touchy!>>Regards>Tim >http://www.cambridgeflyingclub.com/images/timavatar2.jpg"I would say that fact that you fly a 737 without a FMC is more of a issue than the nose shape"i consider this as flaming, as he is pointing with fingers at me, saying, "bad guy, your are flying the bird with wrong panel. you are st**id to do that" i was very objective with my observations, i communicated my opinion but i did not directly point with the finger at anyone saying you're bad guy.it's not his right to judge my way of playing this game. cause it is a game. nothing else.if Randy did not want to give me that understanding, he might wanna drop me a line ;)

I just bought the pmdg 737 the other day. I was holding off because of all the negative comments I was hearing. I am just starting to scratch the surface with it, but I am really enjoying it. I do have a new system to run it on, so I am very happy with my frames. I certainly wouldn't recommend it for anything less then a recent, new PC. While I am looking forward to the Dreamfleet offering, I certainly will need something to keep me busy until then. I can't compare it to the Airane offering, since I don't own it. For me, accurate flight synamics and a functional panel are what I am looking for in an airplane. My idea of eye candy is what is inside the cockpit, not the shape of the nose surrounding it :)

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest Tom EverittAFG
"Ariane or PMDG 737 for FS9??"
Depends what kind of flying you want to do. Ariane if you like lots of dials and switches. PMDG if you want modern 'glass cockpit' flying. However in terms of value for money, PMDG wins hands down.TomAFG.

Kevin...In addition to all the other answers you received, remember that one aircraft models the 3/4/5xx (Ariane) , and the other models the NG series (PMDG). I haven't purchased the PMDG 737--I spent way too much on add ons this year and realized that when I started questioning the cost of a vacation for my wife and daughter--I realized that I've been investing way too much in the hobby and not enough in what's really important (sorry die hard simmers). But I think the PMDG aircraft gives more for the money, from what I've seen. Also, there's the issue of after purchase support. Several items--texture alignment fixes, spoiler animation fixes, landing light animations--that I reported as bugs or not fully implemented in Ariane's model are now being released as "enhancements" costing as much as the original package. No--I am not Ariane bashing no more than someone else who always responds to these threads is PMDG bashing--I haven't mentioned personalities or past issues--just support of a product that's been out a year now. I know mention of freeware Ariane repaints was made, but the freeware offerings are obscure liveries, plain and simple. If you want to grab more common liveries, you have to pay, again and again.One aircraft to also look at if you like flying the iron is VANS DC-9 series. I think they did a great job with their aircraft--I kind of consider it a sleeper, seldom mentioned but great in quality.Hope this helps.... I own the Ariane 737 for what it's worth, and I have a few of Martin's repaints which are pretty nice, even if I don't see the liveries flying our friendly skies stateside. There's a really decent Ariane freeware livery I do like--I call it the poor man's BBJ, as it's a replication of a converted business version of the 733 (and it shows up often on airliners.net). Can't speak for the panel, but as someone said it comes down to whether you prefer steam or digital. I kind of prefer the old steam gauge cockpits, the same way I like to look at the minutes hand chasing the seconds hand on my watch :)-John