Sign in to follow this  
Guest Philip Olson

Landing Gear

Guest citybus2200

In reality, during the landing and takeoff, does the wheels of the airplane have any motion?How many times does the wheels need to change after the landing and take off?

Guest FPSFREAK

OK I'll bite. And if these are serious questions than.....Oh hell I don't know.In my reality the wheels have a lot of motion. It's called spinning. :)How many times does the wheels need to change?. Um as many times as they get dirty?? Maybe I'm missing the question. Maybe a language barrier??Care to try again ??Bobby

Guest citybus2200

I am sorry, I think you must be misunderstood my meaning. Obviously I know the wheels "spins". But does it have any power to make the wheels in moving? And, how often do they replace the tires?

Gotcha now, Hong Kong Busperson,To my knowledge there are no aircraft out there that "drive" through the wheels; brake, yes, and independently, but not drive. Usually the main wheels will simply roll along happily waiting for a touch of the brakes now and again or a lot of brakes if the pilot cocks up the takeoff. However, the nose wheel is usually steerable, and in the case of an aircraft like the DC-3, the tail wheel can either be left to rotate freely on its axis for taxiing or be locked for takeoff/landing so that it doesn't wobble all over the place. Don't think there are any steerable tail wheels ... there may be.As for wear and tear ... someone else will have to answer that. It's obviously going to depend on the aircraft and the usage. And who is looking after it.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest citybus2200

So, that means all aircraft's tail wheels have no supporting power to make them spins. Basically they stay at neutral where there is no small engine (something like that) in a airplane that enable the tail wheels to spin(move)?

Guest Fortress

Some aircraft (Airbus?) have little fins on the inside of of each wheel. When wheels are lowered on App, the air rushing over them makes the wheels spin and is supposed to reduce wear on the tyres by reducing the friction at the instant the tyre makes contact with the runway. I understand there is a brake/axle-assembly cooling effect here too.Cheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/sbird.jpgOfficially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logo[p]AMD XP2800+ Barton, Gigabyte GA-7NNXP nForce2, 1Gig Crucial PC3200 DDR 400MHz, Gainward 128 MB GF4-4200, SB Audigy, 3 x WD Caviar SE[/p]

Guest citybus2200

If so, how often do the tires need to be replace since it's worn so quickly?

It all depends upon the landings and the braking action. It also depends upon the quality of the tires. Some will lat longer than others, just like on a car. Different treads, different material, etc. In my own experience, I had brand new tires on a pa-128 and landed hard and 'rode' the breaks after landing 'hot'. The steel belts were showing thru after one landing and needed to be replaced. I had to pay for them and the cost for 2 new tires was only 32.00. These being training tires, really didn't expect much wear from these.keith

Guest citybus2200

How deep is the tread of a boeing aircrafts? If you say it depends on the braking and weight. Wouldn't a boeing aircraft tread will last shorter and need to be replace since it is very heavy and need to brake harder?

All landing gear to my knowledge is free spinning. It takes the power of the engine to make the aircraft move forward. If you want to turn you apply differential breaking (one side at a time, left, right) or you use the rudder which is conected to the nose wheel or tail wheel (depending on your gear configuration).Pretty simple, nothing fancy....The tires get replaced like car tires, when the tread is worn down. This all depends on the usage of the tires. Space shuttle tires I think get changed after every flight. But you didn't ask about the space shuttle. Maybe someone who knows about Boeing aircraft could tell you how offten the tires get changed on an airliner.

Guest citybus2200

I see... I should've post a question specifically on how often do a boeing aircraft replace its tires, right?

Guest Dakota

Actually if you look inside of the wheel wells of Boeing planes (maybe airbus too), you will see large pads inside that stop the wheels from spinnng once they are retracted inside the plane. This so they will not continue to spin inside the plane and cause a gyro effect that could affect control of the plane.

Don't know about large aircraft, but in real-world advanced GA aircraft I was raught to touch the toe brakes to stop wheel spin before retraction.

Guest citybus2200

Then how is it going to effect the trim just to stir a drink in an anticlockwise direction in Northern Hemisphere?