Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fortress

Aperture Setting with 128mb Video Card

Those of you with 128MB video cards, I have a choice in Win98 SE(Gonna update to WinXP soon!) of 64MB or 256MB aperture size setting in my system BIOS. What should I set it to, 256?Thanks!http://southwest.corpmerchandise.com/image...l/200015138.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

I would try 64, is there no setting for 128? Just do some testing and see. Depending on the system some folks have better results at 64.Hornit

Guest daveg4otu

As I understand it(wait for someone to disagree--) the aperture setting should be left at 64mb unless you atre using a very low-end graphics card (EG 8 or 16 mb).Pushing it up to 256 may well be counterproductive.Dave

Every credible report I've seen says leave it at 64MB irregardless of the total VRAM.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest Max Cowgill

> Every credible report I've seen says leave it at 64MB>irregardless of the total VRAM.>>Dougirregardless LMAO! I haven't seen that in awhile... That's not a word, just so you know ;) Oh, and to stay on topic, I generally leave my aperture at 256 and get better results than 64 w/Nvidia cards. Nvidia says 64 on their website but FS seems more fluid to me w/256.-Max Cowgill

The bottom line is to do what works best on YOU system, just do a bit of testing to see, simple :)Hornit

>> Every credible report I've seen says leave it at 64MB>>irregardless of the total VRAM.>>>>Doug>>irregardless LMAO! I haven't seen that in awhile... That's>not a word, just so you know ;) Oh, and to stay on topic, I>generally leave my aperture at 256 and get better results than>64 w/Nvidia cards. Nvidia says 64 on their website but FS>seems more fluid to me w/256.>>-Max CowgillI haven't heard it for some time either, but in defense of Doug and according to my miserable Random House dictionary as well as Webster's, "irregardless" is a word but a nonstandard one.

>irregardless LMAO! I haven't seen that in awhile... That's not a [/bR] >word, just so you know ;)"I haven't seen that in awhile..." ROFL!! That's not a correct sentence, just so you know. :DAwhile is an adverb meaning "for a while", while "a while" is obviously just an article with a noun. Of course, it wasn't your intention to say "I haven't seen that in for a while" -- because that would be pretty stupid.Har Har!Oh, and to stay on topic, yeah, if you have enough RAM, 256 is usually the way to go, even though the differences are probably marginal at best. Consider looking at http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/aperture-size/

Guest Max Cowgill

>>irregardless LMAO! I haven't seen that in awhile... That's>not a [/bR] >word, just so you know ;)>>"I haven't seen that in awhile..." ROFL!! That's not a correct>sentence, just so you know. :D>>Awhile is an adverb meaning "for a while", while "a while" is>obviously just an article with a noun. Of course, it wasn't>your intention to say "I haven't seen that in for a while" -->because that would be pretty stupid.>>Har Har!>>Oh, and to stay on topic, yeah, if you have enough RAM, 256 is>usually the way to go, even though the differences are>probably marginal at best. Consider looking at>http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/aperture-size/ Oops, I forgot to put a space in *:-* (either way it's pronounced the same). Oh, and being a jackass to a senior member when you have all of 4 posts generally isn't a good idea. I've been posting here since 1998 and most people know I'm a jackass sometimes so it's ok ;)-Max Cowgill

I have an ATI 9500 Pro, A7N8X Deluxe motherboard with 512K memory. I tried a few different Aperture settings and didn't notice a great deal of postiive difference. I'm leaving things at 64MB.Leemon

Well Max, don't laugh too loudly or you may fall off your dictionary :-). Those of us who ain't never used no double negatives are, indeed, few. But you ain

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest FPSFREAK

Just a little techno babble for you guys that may help clear things up a bit....The AGP aperture setting specifies to the north bridge how much of a PC's system memory is addressable by an AGP video card for textures after the video card has used all of its video memory. In that case, if you have 128Mb video card and your game textures never exceeds 128MB then you will never even use the AGP apertureAGP aperture is merely address space, not physical memory in use. The physical memory is allocated and released as needed only when Direct3D makes a "create non-local surface" call. Windows 95 (with VGARTD.VXD) and later versions of Microsoft Windows use a waterfall method of memory allocation. Surfaces are first created in the graphics card's local memory. When that memory is full, surface creation spills over into AGP memory and then system memory. So, memory usage is automatically optimized for each application. AGP and system memory are not used unless absolutely necessary.It is quite common to hear many people recommending that the AGP aperture size should be exactly half the amount of system RAM. However, this is wrong for the same reason why swapfile size shouldn't always be 1/4 of system RAM. Like the swapfile, the requirement for AGP memory space shrinks as the graphics card's local memory increases in size. This is because the graphics card will have more local memory to dedicate to texture storage. This reduces the need for AGP memory. So, if you upgrade to a graphics card with more memory, you shouldn't be "deceived" into thinking that it will therefore require even more AGP memory! On the contrary, a smaller AGP memory space will be required.So those with 128 and higher VC's may actually do better at a smaller (64) AGP Ap.Just some info.Bobby

Guest SlimDady

I have heard im some cases to do double the amnt of ram , and also the same.. never less?

Guest PaulL01

Simply do some benchmarking, as each system may give better or worse performance for a certain game with 64/128/256/512 settings.My Epox VIAKT333 board gave 2-5% better performance with an AGP setting of 256mb compared to any other setting, same as this NforceII Board I use presently using the identicle GFTI4600.