Sign in to follow this  
Guest tfriend

Might this be my problem?

Last night as I was running yet another test of my PC and FS9, I went to System Information and looked (I'm at work and don't remember the specifics of what I looked at) at System Information. Looking at the details, I exported it to a .txt file. I did this while I had FS9 minimized. Since I had done the CNTR-ALT-DEL thing and reduced my running programs to just Systray and Explorer, I expected to only see FS9, Systray, Explorer, and that other program ~whatever (it's related to FS9 clean up or something).What I actually saw under running programs (I think this was showing what was resident in my Ram) was my video card in several places, Systray, Explorer, FS9 and the other FS9 program, and two programs that run my router. :-hmmm My PC is connected to a Linksys router (hard wired). My wife's PC uses a wireless card.Could the router be utilizing enough of my ram to be causing me problems? Since I'm locked into only 512 Mb of Ram if FS9 takes say 400 Mb, my video card aperture is 64 Mb, could the router be taking up maybe 128 Mb of the Ram? Does that make any sense? I saved a .txt file that shows everything about my PC. I could e-mail it to anyone who knows of these things. Still searching for the FS9 missing link......

Guest daveg4otu

SteveTry using RamIdle(free download at ZDnet or CNET).It frees up RAM by transferring to the Swap file.You can configure it very easilyto keep a chosen minimum of RAM free.I use it on WinME (and in the past 98SE).Here FS9 runs fine in ME(uses RamIdle) or XP.The dual boot system has 512 MB DDRAMDave

Thanks. I'll do that first off tonight and run another test. Next would be to delete and reinstall FS9. I didn't notice the pauses at take off when I first used FS9. Might have been something I did with all the tweeks. Second course of action would be to install one of my spare hard drives and load up Win98 & FS9 only and see if that works. I bought XP Home but it hasn't come yet. Hopefully, I can do the install and won't hose up my PC too much. :-lol

Guest 747drvr

Hey, Captain, I want to know something. Run DXDIAG and tell me if you have a double entry in the network/ direct playable.let me know here.

I reloaded DirectX9.0b last night. Looked it over to see if I had any problems but I didn't look in the network/direct playable tab. I'll check it out when I get home this evening.DxDiag didn't show any other problems. As a matter of fact, in the Input tab it finally said that I didn't have a problem with my CH USB Yoke -- and that had always shown as a register problem before.... I'll answer back later. Thanks.

When you discuss programs running your router, that is where your 98 install deviates from my own.Have you checked the basics? Any of your IRQ's being shared? Just for kicks, even if they don't appear to be, you may want to think of moving the sound card to another IRQ. I'm lucky in that my BIOS allows me to assign IRQ's to my ISA cards...in effect allowing me to override Windows' choices. Otherwise, the router should not be taking up that much RAM.... My WAN is full of them--and initially some of our servers started out with only 256 megs of RAM. But your LAN port on the PC could be tied into an IRQ that's shared.I've tried to research some past threads.... Odd pauses have also been traced to USB devices, conflicts with Sound Card drivers, and the like....-John

Guest Ken_Salter

What software do you need to connect to the router? Are you connected via Ethernet? I can't imagine what you would have to install to connect to a network router...I have a DLink Wireless Router - one pc is wireless and another is connected via Ethernet - no software required other than NIC drivers.http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

My connection is via an ethernet connection. It goes from my PC to the router to the cable modem and out the wall .... The Linksys system came with a CD that I had to run before I could use the router. The wireless card in my wife's PC (used the same on my son's before he moved) is set up on the Linksys wireless network via channel 6. I've never seen anything running when I hit CNTRL-ALT-DEL, just when I went to system information did I see something in the Programs Running section -- indicating RAM usage, I think. I'm probably grasping at straws here as I seem to be the only one on this forum who has actual pauses not just stutters.

Guest tfriend

Hi Steve,I to am grasping at straws. I have the pauses on approach/landing too. It makes it quite unusable. I have pretty much the same setup as you including the wireless router with Win 98se. Have you run into other folks who have this issue and are running winXP? Just curious as I would rather not have to spend $100 to upgrade to it right now.