Sign in to follow this  
V1-Rotate

Would you accept Microsoft Flight to be subscription based?

238 members have voted

1. 1. Would you accept a subscription based MS Flight Simulator?

Guest veeray
I believe that most of these people do play other games .... plus, I don't see any one asking for a subscription service. And if you are calling me crazy .. thats so far from the truth its not even funny... but, I do see when people are lost for words .. they start to call others names.
Uhmm read the topic for this thread, and the second sentence in the OP post... so yeah you are crazy for your outbursts.

Never!! I would keep FSX + FS9 as long as something normal comes out...Microsoft is already rich enough, now they should even push out little companies like PMDG, Aerosoft out?Should we one day live through two companies, McDonalds and Microsoft??? C'mon...

Guest wingflex

I'd like to see myself as a pretty open minded guy, but this just would not fly with me. I enjoy being able to customize and fine tune my sim to my liking. I don't want a giant corporation doing it for me.If it aint broke, don't fix it. Obviously there are things that are broke, and need fixing, but this is not one of them.

For most serious MSFS simmers, such a move would end the hobby at FSX for them -- includes myself. The open nature of MSFS, and the third party market it has created, and the ability of simmers to go as deep as they want into the sim, has been its cornerstone of success. Let us hope that good business sense trumps greed in this case. MS should make a good and fair profit from selling their product --- ONCE. Subscriptions? --- Shame%20On%20You.gif (Don't mess up a free lunch...)

Would I? Absolutely. I've played many subscription based online games, and I'd welcome the influx of development cash such a system would bring to Flight sims. Of course, the details would need to be right, such as a real world interactive ATC environment, real weather, real nav procedures, aiplanes that know how to slip, etc. And paramount would be an integrated online marketplace for addon items like aircraft, scenerey etc.It could be done "right" and if so, would be more than worth the usual $15/month fee.Then again, I'm also a guy who would have gladly paid $200 for an FSX version with all the suck removed, so maybe I'm not typical...

If Flight was subscription based and it had all of the features that you said, sure I would buy it. But is that the realistic situation? No. Everything about Flight has been to appeal to more casual gamers, and nothing about this would accomplish that. The more realistic situation that includes subscriptions would be that we end up having to pay a monthly fee for things like new missions and large (casual) multiplayer servers. This I would not pay for.

If Flight was subscription based and it had all of the features that you said, sure I would buy it.  But is that the realistic situation?  No.  Everything about Flight has been to appeal to more casual gamers, and nothing about this would accomplish that.  The more realistic situation that includes subscriptions would be that we end up having to pay a monthly fee for things like new missions and large (casual) multiplayer servers.  This I would not pay for.
you can have sim that appeals to the casual and the enthusiast at the same time ....

The problem isn't that Microsoft should make the sim all full of detail and then charge for it, but that the detail is in the eye of the beholder.Why are we seeing so many different screenshots, each one with different set of sky textures, dusk/dawn colors, in different parts of the world at different parts of the year.Something like that, which has taken many many man hours and very talented people (=addons), is not possible for Microsoft to replicate. And if they don't reach such quality, why should I pay for such service? And I think many other simmers share my opinion.But then, in the end, how many are there in the world doing that? Microsoft is out for money... nothing else.

Thanks for your reply guys. I see most of you are very negative to such marketing scheme. In my opinion if and only if Microsoft could stand up to the competition and really be equal or better to 3rd party software, I would accept a micropayment or subscription fee.That is if and only if and I would never encourage a subscription scheme just for $$$. I would be very demanding with the quality of tools, addons and services.Many said (correctly) that nobody has to pay for something should not use. I agree but sicne I am not a market professional, I just suppose that could besolved using different kind of subscriptions.

For the most part, he only really profitable PC game projects these days are subscription based (ie MMO's like WoW). Profit drives innovation, and it makes a lot of sense for a flight simulator to follow this model for other reasons as well. Consider the similarities between FS and World of Warcraft:1) Long "life". FS users play the same version for *years*, same with MMO's. Contrast that with something like a Call of Duty or some other 40 hour game. Long life makes the platform worth investing in.2) Add-on content. MMO's survive by offering pay as you go content to expand the game world. Same with FS, just look at the richness of the payware market.3) Massively multiplayer. VATSIM on a global scale. Enough said, yes?There's potential here. For those that are resistant to this idea due to the lack of good internet connectivity where you live, I sympathize. For those that hate the idea of MS or anyone making "profit", get over it.

For the most part, he only really profitable PC game projects these days are subscription based (ie MMO's like WoW). Profit drives innovation, and it makes a lot of sense for a flight simulator to follow this model for other reasons as well. Consider the similarities between FS and World of Warcraft:1) Long "life". FS users play the same version for *years*, same with MMO's. Contrast that with something like a Call of Duty or some other 40 hour game. Long life makes the platform worth investing in.2) Add-on content. MMO's survive by offering pay as you go content to expand the game world. Same with FS, just look at the richness of the payware market.3) Massively multiplayer. VATSIM on a global scale. Enough said, yes?There's potential here. For those that are resistant to this idea due to the lack of good internet connectivity where you live, I sympathize. For those that hate the idea of MS or anyone making "profit", get over it.
Peopel like the idea of being able to cutomise their FS as they wish AND being able to use an ocean of freeware given by enthusiasts. The whole idea of a subscription flightsim is and only is a way of MS taking yet more money from people.As far as I am concerned as stated earlier for me it is a definate No, No! I will not and would not buy a flightsim to which I would have to subscribe. I'm sure I am not alone!vololiberista

If the subscription fee was sunk into MS's pockets without benefitting the software, then sure its a bad idea. However if the revenue lead to a better flight sim experience, then why would you not want to pay it? Consider that a large portion of the freeware and payware market is addressing deep flaws in FS as it ships from MS. Wouldn't it be much better to have a platform that isn't so flawed to begin with? I think this is where MS is heading with this, and if I'm wrong, then they won't get my dollars either.All I'm asking is that you don't discount the power of subscription based pricing and its ability to deliver a seriously improved experience. I dont know about you, but I have a lot more than $200 or so bucks/year to invest in my hobby.

How are you guys saying no to a subscription service that you dont have any details about?  The most prudent response should be .. it depends.  So if MS decided to go that direction and provided details on pricing and content .. then you could make a intelligent decision.  Who knows, perhaps they could propose a system that still allowed for 3rd party development with tons of benefits from the service all at a reasonable cost.... and perhaps not .   But until you know more ... saying "no way" just seems premature.

HelloNavdata I would be interested in, A standardised format that all devs could use.I use Navigraph but don't like the fact that purchased credits expire.

You all know perfectly well that an MS sim subscription would be what they MS want to provide. Not a paltform that can be expanded as are FS9 and FSX. I repeat it is a method of extracting money on a permanent basis. And I will not countenance it in any way shape or form. I prefer my freedom to choose what to buy or not.vololiberista

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.