Sign in to follow this  
moss1

World Of AI in FSX

Hi Everyone, 1) I wanted to install WOAI packages in FSX as I would assume they don't hit performance half as much as the default? Correct Im if that's not true please. 2) After installing the WOAI, do I remove the traffic.bgl file to disable the default AI from showing up, or is there another method?3) If question #2 is correct, is the Traffic.bgl file I am questioning in the World/Scenery folder like FS9? Thanks for all of you help. I really want to bring the airports to life, and I hope just installing WOAI will do it, unless I have to do further steps which I have not taken on since the day I started simming way back EX: Traffic tools etc... Thanks in advence folks :)Warm regards, Jeff Moss

Hi Everyone, 1) I wanted to install WOAI packages in FSX as I would assume they don't hit performance half as much as the default? Correct Im if that's not true please. 2) After installing the WOAI, do I remove the traffic.bgl file to disable the default AI from showing up, or is there another method?3) If question #2 is correct, is the Traffic.bgl file I am questioning in the World/Scenery folder like FS9? Thanks for all of you help. I really want to bring the airports to life, and I hope just installing WOAI will do it, unless I have to do further steps which I have not taken on since the day I started simming way back EX: Traffic tools etc... Thanks in advence folks :)Warm regards, Jeff Moss
1. Even WOAI packages will impact FR - just how much depends largely on how high you run your Traffic slider and if you are flying large Metropolitan areas like New York. If feel having "real world" airlines is far better than the fictitious default ones.2. To disable the default Traffic file in FSX. rename the file trafficAircraft.bgl to something like trafficAircraft.bgl.ORIGYou can find it on your Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery subfolder.Note that WOAI Traffic files are in FS2004 format and it would be wise to convert them to FSX format. FSX can use either format BUT not at the same time. If FSX finds even one FS2004 format Traffic file it will block the display of FSX format files.The conversion tool I use is on the file menu of the free AI Flight Planner utility by Don Grovestine. You can get the latest version of the utility here: http://members.shaw.ca/aifp/

Hi,1. Correct.2. Yes, remove that file. Or re-name the file extension.3. Correct!

Also be aware that disabling the default FSX Traffic file will disable the default GA traffic as well as the default Airlines traffic.Fortunately Reggie Fields and friends have compiled some excellent replacement files for the GA traffic - you can check them out here:http://www.flightsim2004-fanatics.com/uploads/DefaultGA/Def_GA_DL.htmHope that helps.

Note that WOAI Traffic files are in FS2004 format and it would be wise to convert them to FSX format. FSX can use either format BUT not at the same time. If FSX finds even one FS2004 format Traffic file it will block the display of FSX format files.
Very true. Yesterday I spend a few hours getting WOAI to appear on my airports without any luck. In the end I found out I had two bgl's left that were still FS9 (I converted the others to FSX with AIFP)... BTW I still have default FSX AI enabled.Another note: if you are using some Aerosoft airports, then you may have to turn off aircraft shadows otherwise the aircrafts won't show up!And finally: be sure to install packages with airliners that actually visit the airports you are visiting! When you install the WOAI packages, you can check the aiports each package visits by using the WOAI installer's expert mode. Be sure to do that before converting the files to FSX because expert mode won't work with these converted files. Another option is to go the the Airports page on the WOAI site: you can enter an ICAO code there and then you will see ALL packages that visit the airport.

Be sure to do that before converting the files to FSX because expert mode won't work with these converted files.
The 'expert" mode works just fine for me on converted Traffic files. I just select the path to my FSX installation on the first screen before going into "expert" mode and what I have installed in FSX is properly displayed.BTW - the FSX information is written into a separate file (with no extension) named WOAIDATAX - FS2004 data is written to one named WOAIDATA.

The 'expert" mode works just fine for me on converted Traffic files. I just select the path to my FSX installation on the first screen before going into "expert" mode and what I have installed in FSX is properly displayed.
Ah, yes, it does display well indeed, but when I press Airports info then I get an error message (because the FSX files have been renamer, probably). So to check the Airport info you need the (not renamed) FS9 bgl's.

Ah, yes, it does display well indeed, but when I press Airports info then I get an error message (because the FSX files have been renamer, probably). So to check the Airport info you need the (not renamed) FS9 bgl's.
Aha - right you are - indeed it must be because the files have been renamed (and altered to change the day of the week starting info also)I understand WOAI is working on a new version of the installer - perhaps that issue will be addressed in it.