Sign in to follow this  
michal

XP Slowdown? .....read this, might help

Hello,In win98 it was a good idea to let window managing the swap file. In Windows NT at my work, all machines had the page file min set to current memory and max set to double of installed memory, same thing in win2000.When windows is managing the virtual memory, it always change the file size and sometimes get a fragmented space in disk that can slow down the system.Now in WindowsXP, I get the min/max to double of installed memory, so if I have 1gb RAM, I set 2gb as min/max for swapfile and in a isolated disk partition to avoid fragmentation, so the file is always at the same size, speeding up the system, but I always set the min size as 512mb, never less than this.In this way my system is very stable and fast.Sharing my experience,Ulisses

>(though unrelated to this discussion), says that Joe is on a>self-imposed hiatus, not banned. So, you're incorrect about>this as well.>Aha ! He was banned from Avsim about a year ago (plus/minus). You can check with Avsim people - don't blame you if you won't take my word. Whether he was reinstated in the meantime have no clue but since he never showed up again here I have to speculate he still remains banned.Nothing relevant about Capt Slarty - again you better dig forums archives from 1999-2001 but whether it is possible I don't know. But again I was probably dreaming and nothing like that took place.Michael J.

>When windows is managing the virtual memory, it always change>the file size and sometimes get a fragmented space in disk>that can slow down the system.This is exactly what I have been experiencing. For browsing internet or doing other chores - it hardly matters, for playing FS - makes significant difference. Thanks for reminding me of the word I somehow missed - "fragmentation".Michael J.