Sign in to follow this  
Hirgab

Is there anyway to adjust windshield brightness?

Hi,I fly the Captain Sim 767 but I find the windshield to be too dark, can't see any of the bloom happening outside. CS767 manager has nothing to adjust brightness levels, I was curious if there was a way I can adjust it manually?Thanks,

Hello friend,I posted at the forum that you linked but I have yet to receive a response. Would you know how to change the windshield brightness if I were to send you the .dds file that contains the windshield? Or, would you tell me how I can do that myself? I have paint.net.Thanks!

As I understand your problem you'll have to edit the alpha channel on the glass bitmap if you can find it. If it's got an easy name like glass.bmp then you're already half way there. If it's got some obscure name then you'll need to exercise some patience to track it down.A lot of your textures won't display in a regular image viewer because they have mipmaps which make displaying them at distances in the sim easier. If you've got the SDK installed then you won't have much trouble finding the ACES Image Tool which will remove the mipmaps and make them viewable and editable in an image editing tool like Gimp. If you don't have the SDK installed then search the internet - I know it's there because I've seen it.When you've got the mipmaps removed you're ready to edit the alpha channel in you're favourite image editing tool. Gimp will do it and it's free which makes life easier. You'll find it here: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/It won't take you long to get the hang of using Gimp to edit the alpha channel - the darker it looks the more transpaent it will be since FSX reads black as completely transparent.When you've got it fixed use the ACES Image Tool to replace the mipmaps.Good luck on your image editing journey.

Mike Beckwith

Thank you HighMike, unfortunately I was not able to locate the .dds file that contains the windshield. At times like this, I wish I was a computer wiz.

After many weeks, I have finally been able to locate the .dds file for the windshield.It can be downloaded from the following link:http://rapidshare.co...s767_C_31_T.ddsCan someone be kind enough to edit the 'alpha channel' so that the windshield is almost near transparent? Actually, can you make one file 100% transparent and the other 90% transparent? I would be eternally grateful!Thank you!![EDIT]Nevermind folks, I figured it out. One happy simmer here. :-) All I had to do was play with the "opaque" option

Well done Hirgab, you've acquired a powerful skill. You can now fix a number of FS9 imports whose only fault is black VC glass.

Mike Beckwith