Sign in to follow this  
Simba

FSAutostart

Hello everyone,Just wondering everybody opinion on using FSAutostart to shut down other applications that are running. I thought I read somewhere that it was a waste to utilize. I have a mid range system that runs FS9 great and FSX decent at medium sliders, so I wonder if I need it at all. Just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks.

Guest belga1

Hello,Of course you can use autostart .. if you are really a noob and don't seen you have many applications running background :( But those can be stop without Autostart.As for the differents (sometime unecessary) services ... they consume a very little amount of memory .. but if your are memory saver maniac like me :( .. you can of course stop them :( For performances (on a decent machine) the following can increase performances:Don't let running antivirus realtime scan or any software who scan files regularly (anti spyware .. etc ..) or exclude the sim and associated files-folders from the scansStoping also the HD indexing service can helpDisable also all auto updates of all the softwares or make convenient schedules.All this will maybe not increase the FPS but will help to avoid stutters AFAIK ..Results can varies .. depending of the OS used.Of course if the sim run already satisfactory .. why use Autostart in first place B) The best for really increase performances is not Autostart .. but instead a powerful CPU and good game settingsRegards.bye.gifGus.

Hello everyone,Just wondering everybody opinion on using FSAutostart to shut down other applications that are running. I thought I read somewhere that it was a waste to utilize. I have a mid range system that runs FS9 great and FSX decent at medium sliders, so I wonder if I need it at all. Just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks.
HelloYou would be far better off with Gamebooster(no chance of shutting down something you shouldn't), I have been using there latest beta version and its evolving into a very useful and professional looking piece of software.The beta has lots of other useful utilities as well.Best of all its FREEWARE.Check out the I-OBIT site.Google is your friend.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

A more modern development based on FSAutostart, is AlacrityPC written by Ken Salter. There are both 32bit and 64 bit versions. Look at AlacrityPC for more information.

Regards

Trevor

Guest simmer9304
HelloYou would be far better off with Gamebooster(no chance of shutting down something you shouldn't), I have been using there latest beta version and its evolving into a very useful and professional looking piece of software.The beta has lots of other useful utilities as well.Best of all its FREEWARE.Check out the I-OBIT site.Google is your friend.cheers Andy
Yep Gamebooster gets my vote there's no hassle all you do is press a button and it gives you a readout of everything it does then the memory you gain and then it's off an away to flying!I never play Flight Simulator without it.

Yep Gamebooster gets my vote there's no hassle all you do is press a button and it gives you a readout of everything it does then the memory you gain and then it's off an away to flying!I never play Flight Simulator without it.
My vote also - you can check it out here:http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

My vote also - you can check it out here:http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html
Is it safe for a non-technical user to let Gamebooster locate new drivers and execute them without any additional interference or change?Not familiar with driver updating and quite scared to try it before asking for information.Basic question is: download and run new drivers over whatever is now installed?In the back of my mind looms the age-old question as to why tweak a winning team; but I am certainly tempted!Thanks for any advice.Clarindo

Is it safe for a non-technical user to let Gamebooster locate new drivers and execute them without any additional interference or change?Not familiar with driver updating and quite scared to try it before asking for information.Basic question is: download and run new drivers over whatever is now installed?In the back of my mind looms the age-old question as to why tweak a winning team; but I am certainly tempted!Thanks for any advice.Clarindo
Game Booster and similar utilities does not do anything other than shut down non-essentail services to free up more computer resources to run FS or any other "game". Whne you are finished "playing", you hit another button and those services which were shut down are restarted.Quite a number of these services are running all the time on your computer and they simply are not needed when playing most games.You may or may not experience some improvment in how FS performs - those of us who use GB do so because it does for us.

After reading this post I've installed GameBooster (FS autostart always gave me some problems).I have gained about +3 FPS in exterior view, but when starting GameBooster it says I have not installed (among others) Direct X.Excuse me for my ignorance, but, What is Direct X and what is the use of it ?(I'm running FS-9.1 with Windows XP)Thanks.

Game Booster and similar utilities does not do anything other than shut down non-essentail services to free up more computer resources to run FS or any other "game". Whne you are finished "playing", you hit another button and those services which were shut down are restarted.Quite a number of these services are running all the time on your computer and they simply are not needed when playing most games.You may or may not experience some improvment in how FS performs - those of us who use GB do so because it does for us.
Actually David that's not true of the latest beta.It will actually check for driver updates,offer some system tweaks and other stuff as well.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Excuse me for my ignorance, but, What is Direct X and what is the use of it ?
Hi,DirectX is the core of Flight Simulator :wink:It is the development framework for Windows games.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest belga1

Hello,Just a warning !Take care of all those checks and suggests for download new drivers .. DirectX and tutiquanti :( Don't allow them or be sure of what you are making ... AFAIK If your sim is already working good I advice to not upgrade anything.Some of those wild downloads installs can wreck your system if not installed properly.I hope it's not already a too late warning :(

What is Direct X and what is the use of it ?
Check in Windows\System32 if you have a file calleddxdiag.exeIf yes .. you have DirectX installed.You can run dxdiag.exe (twice click on) and you will have the DirectX info panel and some graphics - sounds tests availables I'm sure you have it already installed.The latest version is 9.0c Regards.bye.gifGus.

Thanks a lot, Gus. Your alert arrived just in the nick of time, as I would probably would have ruined beyond my repair capabilities the set-up which is currently running so well.I even had some problem uninstalling the beta version, as it seemed very reluctant to go.I do have dxdiag.exe running smoothly.Thanks again,Clarindo

Actually David that's not true of the latest beta.It will actually check for driver updates,offer some system tweaks and other stuff as well.cheers Andy
That is good to know - guess I am not using the latest version of GB - whatever version I am using works really well for me.