Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

UPGRADING & FRAME RATES THEORY

Is my theory correct? I have a 2 Gig CPU and get say 20 frames per second in FS2004 in a particular scene.Thats 10FPS for each 1Gig of processing power.SO if I upgrade to a 3Gig CPU I should get 30 FPS, 10 fps for each 1 Gig of CPU power. All settings in FS2004 are the same for each test and only the CPU is changed for this exercise.SO to take this theory a step forward, if I am struggling with 6 fps with heavy useage ( and I know many of you are )an upgrade to a 3 Gig CPU as mentioned above would yield a huge 9 fps. ( 3 fps for each Gig ) WOW big deal.As I like lots of "eye candy" when flying FS I have all settings at max except water & auto gen at dense.The average FPS I get most of the time is about 12 which means the scenery tends to "stutter" past the side windows a great deal of the time. Mind you at certain times have seen 20fpsin light flying conditions and as low as 4 fps at large airports with cloud. SO using the above theory I could expect average of 18fps past the side windows, 30fps in light flying conditions and 6 fps at large airports with cloud.That last one is frightening.It seems to me that we are running out of processing power for FS with the 3.2 Gig CPU the best we can do at the moment.My current set up.AMD 2000+ CPUAsus A7V266-E Motherboard

I'll add my theory...If you are getting 20 fps with a 2 Gig CPU, you will get 30 fps with a 3 Gig CPU only if your memory and video card are either not a bottleneck, or more likely if you upgrade memory and video card as well.. so no extra fps for "using modern technology".. this is needed to keep everything else in balance.Now for the 6 fps.. this tells me that something is choking.. could be the video, the CPU, the motherboard chipset.. the point being, if you can substantially improve this bottleneck, your fps could move up much closer to 20-30..The way I envision this, is like a car on a highway.. with a 100 hp engine, I can go 120 km/h, with a 150 hp engine, I can go say 150 km/h.However, if I get to a road bottleneck, like merging traffic, I am suddenly going only 60 km/hr and no amount of hp makes much of an improvement.. however, little things like cutting back on merging traffic can suddenly get me back to almost normal speeds..That is why things like Chris Willis' cloud replacements, 80% vs 100% settings, lower AI etc, or a new faster video card can dramatically improve these situations.. Given time, the flight sim community will figure out how to overcome the worst bottleneck situations and you'll be seeing FS9 in "all its glory" well before FS10 is out.

Bert

Guest Bjorn

Your theory are most probably not correct...You must find your own bottleneck, which in your casemost certainly is the video card.If you changed your video card, without touching the CPU,you will gain a lot in fps.I know this, because I have about the same setup as you,and I switched my card from a GF440 to a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro.What a difference....Best regards Bj

Hi ausie.I agree with the above post. Hold off on the CPU/Mobo/Memory upgrade and get a new video card. Radeon 9500 Pro or better, or a higher end nvidia card.Dick