Sign in to follow this  
gosta

Please explain the difference ....

I've read, with much amusement I have to admit, the latest outpourings and flames regarding the No CD crack or No CD patch depending on how political you wish to be. So can someone please explain this to me?There have been many references on exactly where to go to get the software to create a virtual CD drive on a hard disk and then copious explanations on exactly how to do this. This is a way to eliminate having to keep the FS9 CD disk 4 in the CD drive.Using a a No CD crack or No CD patch is also a way to eliminate having to keep the FS9 CD disk 4 in the CD drive.According to some people avoiding Microsoft's intention of having to keep a CD in the CD drive is a form of anti-piracy.What is the difference in these two methods and why is one of them approved, apparantly by Avsim as well as they have allowed virtual CD drive postings here, and the other not?David

Hi David,first, this is my personal opinion only, and does not reflect Avsim's policy.There appear to be some fundamental legal differences between using a virtual CD drive and a No-CD crack. A virtual CD drive is created by a legitimate piece of software and does require a medium (i.e. CD) of which an image can be created. In the majority of countries, a consumer has the right to make back-up copies of software for personal use, and CD imaging software appears to enable the consumer to do so. As far as forum postings concerning this topic go, it would appear that the posts are merely giving advice on how to use legitimately purchased software titles (FS9 and the cloning software).A No-CD crack is a different story. It replaces an integral part of the program (i.e. the main executable) with a modified version. As the program is copyrighted, this could be regarded as a violation of the creator's copyright. Although MS don't seem to be too concerned about customers using those cracks, it would seem prudent for sites like Avsim not to condone such activity.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg