Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

How to stop OOM ?

I'm having my main Flight Sim computer rebuilt with the I7 6 core CPU and 12 GB of triple memory and a duel boot system so that FS2004 will run on Windows XP and FSX will run on Windows 7. Is there anything at this time that the company rebuilding it can do to STOP those OOM errors that I have had lately? jerrycwo4

I'm having my main Flight Sim computer rebuilt with the I7 6 core CPU and 12 GB of triple memory and a duel boot system so that FS2004 will run on Windows XP and FSX will run on Windows 7. Is there anything at this time that the company rebuilding it can do to STOP those OOM errors that I have had lately? jerrycwo4
Make sure the XP is 64 bit and that your FS9.exe is largeaddressaware...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

You should never see an OMM error.Did you ask the company that is rebuilding your PC why any PC gets this error?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Jerry as Psolk said. Make sure your running a 64bit O/S and that your FS9.exe is flagged to be Large Address aware.Of course a wayward LC file can cause a memory leak too.Vonmar, this is a common problem with Flight Simulator (both FSX and FS9). They run over the 2GB virtual address space that 32bit allows.The "fix" is to run on a 64bit system and flag the 32bit EXE (with a hex editor) to look beyond the 2GB virtual address space.By default the SP2 FSX.EXE is already flagged to look beyond 2GB.

I simply mentioned that you are not supposed to see this error message, OMM, on any system.I understand the problem does come up.The question is, on the OP's setup, what is causing the problem?What, if not running, will allow the MSFS to run without OMM'S?So he can have his computer builder make sure his new system will be error free.Now, even with the "fix" for the unknown cause of the problem, at this point:You really need a little software "techie" experience to work with switches, HEX editors and OS's.And it may not be a foolproof solution, the fix, as other not so obvious memory intruders, like advanced video cards, may put you right back into OMM's again.Is the problem actually "a common problem" with MSFS9 or MSFSX ?...or is it caused by something else running on the PC at the same time as MSFS9 or MSFSX?

Best Regards,

Is the problem actually "a common problem" with MSFS9 or MSFSX ?...or is it caused by something else running on the PC at the same time as MSFS9 or MSFSX?
Yes, it is a "common problem" that's typically caused either by a memory leak, such as an land class file problem, or another scenery problem where textures cannot be located and loaded.It is also caused anytime FS cannot find a 1MB contiguous block of virtual address space (VAS) in the application's VAS table.This type of "OOM" is never caused by anything external to FS.In fact, the name "Out of Memory" is very misleading, since it has absolutely nothing to do with physical memory in the computer!This topic has been discussed (and cussed!) for many years both here and elsewhere. :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Fr. Bill,How does this happen, internal to MSFS, nothing else running - default MSFS aircraft, just default MSFS?"It is also caused anytime FS cannot find a 1MB contiguous block of virtual address space (VAS) in the application's VAS table."

Best Regards,

Hi,If a default install of FS throws a OOM error, then there is something wrong with the default install on that particular computer.It is possible that a hardware/software combination/failure could cause this, but it would be rare, and no computer builder or tech. is going to be able to check or prevent this from happening.Since the day FS2004 was released, I have never gotten a OOM error using 256, 512, 1GB or 2GB of memory on different computers!

Jim,Yes, I agree with you.I have upgraded hardware and software (only 4GB now with another 1GB on the video card) over the years starting with the Sublogic Simulation.And my last PC was 2GB WinXP with 512MB on video card.And before that, like you, the systems advanced from 256, 512, 1GB or 2GB.And, I do no "tweek(s)" the software files either.And, I do not attempt to run the "slider(s)" at maximum.If I get a quick scenery pause or stutter ..it's ok.Never had OOM.

Best Regards,

The OOM issue also happens with Paint Shop Pro and some Adobe programs, just for the record. Try loading many large images into the program and eventually it will OOM on you. Does not on my 64bit system....I had many OOM errors while running FS9 on a 32bit system (usually with ultimate terrain and a complex plane like PMDG for example).Now on both my 64bit systems I run FS9 with sliders full right, 1920X1200. I can fly any of the complex airplanes anywhere in the world. I have almost every top of the line addon package you can think of (and some not so top of the line). Not to mention a crap load of freeware stuff too. I also run FSX with many addons (ORBX, Aerosoft, Mega Scenery).Knock on wood...NOT ONE OOM ERROR! So for me a 64bit OS was the BEST addon I have ever owned.

http://forums1.avsim.net/topic/239523-oom-errors-pmdg-md11-fs9/page__st__86http://forums1.avsim.net/index.phptopic/239523-oom-errors-pmdg-md11-fs9/__st__86Check that link out. There is a lot of tips and techniques you can use. There are more links within that post to simforums which further explains how to stop OOM. But I also would have to say upgrade to 64bit. That is what I did with great success.-Justin

Agreed on the x64 system being the cure (along with the large address aware flag). I just started getting OOMs flying the MD-11 across an U.Terrained USA into JFK (with ASky, RC4 etc)as the Win7 release arrived, I was running XP 32bit. Picked up Win 7 x64, never had a glitch since. Touch wood, but never had an FS9 problem since Win7 x64 moved in, although I still have an XP x86 FS9 install for GA flying with RXP gauges.Cheers, SLuggy

I had many OOM errors while running FS9 on a 32bit system (usually with ultimate terrain and a complex plane like PMDG for example).
Exactly like in my case: UTE+PMDG=OOM.Until I applied the 3GB switch a year ago - no single OOM till now. :(

Fr. Bill,How does this happen, internal to MSFS, nothing else running - default MSFS aircraft, just default MSFS?"It is also caused anytime FS cannot find a 1MB contiguous block of virtual address space (VAS) in the application's VAS table."
Running a totally stock FS9 or FSX one should never encounter an "OOM Error," unless some file in the stock installation has gone pear-shaped.In every instance of "OOM Error" I'm aware of, the proximate cause has been one or more of the following:1. too many add-ons (scenery, external weather programs, complex aircraft, etc.) running simultaneously, exhausting the pool of addresses in the FS VAS table.2. poorly designed scenery add-on that creates a memory leak, which in turn "eats" addresses in the VAS pool.3. poorly coded gauge(s) that create -but never release- memory addresses, which in turn "eats" addresses in the VAS pool.Take note that the available pool of addresses for any application's VAS table is not determined by the amount of physical RAM a system has. The only affect that low RAM should ever cause is a general slowdown of the application as the system swaps data to/from the "Virtual Memory."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Fr. Bill,Yes, now that all sounds correct to me.

Best Regards,