Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Manchester Airport

Hi, Im going off to Ibiza next Saturday flying out of Manchester. As I have a considerable length of time to wait before departure, instead of "propping" up the bar is there a viewing area within the airport where I could put my digital camera to good use ?I promise that I will put some pics in the screenshots forum ;-)Bill :-beerchug

Bill,There is a viewing area above the Terminal 1 car park. There is a fence around it, but I have been told that there are holes in certain positions so that you can film the airliners. By the way, what time will you be there ? I am pretty familiar with Manchester Airport, since I take my digital camcorder there now and again. If I know when you are going to be there, I could give you a few ideas about which airlines and airliners will be parked in a suitable location for photographs.In fact, if the weather is good (warm and sunny with only a light breeze), it is VERY likely that I will be there filming !! I always position myself overlooking the threshold of runway 24L (the new runway), so I will be on the opposite side of the runway from the terminals). If you depart before 12 noon, or after 3 pm, you will very likely take off right in front of that location. If the weather's nice, give me a wave !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Chris and thanks for the reply, Actually my departure time isn't until 0015 (Sunday) but I will probably arrive at the Airport about 5pm as I am driving down from Aberdeen. It is Terminal 1 we depart from so I will have a trip up to the viewing area and find the holes in the fence :-)Bill :-beerchug

Bill,If I visit Manchester Airport, it is usually between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. At this time, most of the interesting stuff has departed. However, China Airlines Cargo fly a 747-200 here on a Saturday, and the scheduled arrival time is 5:40 p.m. (departure 8:10 p.m.) There will no doubt be the usual mixture of JMC, My Travel, Monarch, Air 2000, and Britannia planes around, but you may want to watch out for some new liveries.You will probably be familiar with the fact that AirTours is now known as My Travel, and they have various aircraft with only half converted liveries. They have fully repainted versions of the A320 and 757 that visit Manchester. Monarch have a 757 in their new livery, Air 2000 have at least a couple of 757's in their new livery (together with a brand new A321), and Britannia are currently converting their entire fleet to the new World of TUI livery (light blue and white). I have seen 757's and 767's in this new livery at Manchester.I know that a couple of My Travel DC10's return to Manchester around 5-6 p.m. on Saturday. There will probably also be a Pakistan International 747-300.Best Wishes,Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png