Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Christian

FS9 crash... needing help...

Hi to all...I'm encountering a very annoying problem in FS9...my setup crashes enroute...I was flying from Manila to Puerto Princesa in Palawan, and about halfway on the flight, the sim crashed...I tried flying other routes, but they were perfectly fine...I tried some fixes that I knew... removing AI traffic and flight plans, placed an afcad fix... but still the problem persisted...I have an active GPS that time, actually, the GPS was integrated in the cockpit panel (for both cockpit & VC windows)...the error report says that the scenery.cfg and FS9.exe files were contributory to the crash...for that, I reinstalled the sim, and put back the modifications... but it still the same deal...for my setup, I have FScene 4X & REX textures, various sceneries for Philippine Airports (for RPLL, Lowil Espada's most recent RPLL scenery, and for RPVP, the one posted here in the avsim library for FS9)and as a last resort, I may try reinstalling all of the sceneries one by one to determine what's causing this...any input will be very helpful...thanks guys!

Maybe try disabling any addon sceneries that might come into play on this flight and see if things are OK. If so, re-enable them one at a time to see which one is causing your crashes?Cheers, SLuggy

Before diving in head first and ripping your setup to bits, you might save some time (and stress!) by establishing the cause of the software crash.Flight Simulator usually reports the DLL that has failed and this is a good pointer to the cause. If you aren't sure how to identify the DLL, I have details on my web site:http://www.adventure-unlimited.org/faultfinding.phpThere are also some clues there as to what each failure might be attributable to.In some cases, Flight Simulator shuts down without an error message; this is generally caused by an outside factor - other software or driver issues. Very often it can be resolved by updating the Video and DirectX drivers.John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

@sluggy - I was suspecting at one time that some of the add on sceneries might be at fault on this one... but I'm sketchy about it because I've test flown every add on that I put into the sim, and all worked a-ok...but I'll try that as a last resort measure... thanks for the tip!@johnhinson - Thanks for your great site! I nevere knew that there was an update for FS9 on Microsoft's website... I'll try flying the route again to see what DLL failed during that time...(the sim crashes and shows that "stopped working") windowI'll get back here for any update on my setupthanks guys!

sir John... I have an update regarding the fix...this time, I'm flying a different route, when suddenly the sim crashed again... but this time it was no CTD... the entire PC went out like a light bulb (total PC shut down)I have to push the power button again to get it running, and after it booted, it doesn't indicate anything wrong...I suspected it maybe excess heat, but when I ran the computer for a day, it didn't even made a squawk... it only happens when I fly in the sim at that approximate point...I now guess that maybe my OS is a possible culprit...you mentioned that you can only confirm the effectiveness of the FS9.1 upgrade when running in Windows XP with SP3... well, I only have SP2 here, and haven't downloaded SP3 yet...I'm gonna try that one... uninstall the sim, get SP3 and install it and reinstall the sim once more... then add the upgrades later...I'll get back here again for an update... but any insight will be much appreciatedthank you very much!

Guest belga1

Hello,

you mentioned that you can only confirm the effectiveness of the FS9.1 upgrade when running in Windows XP with SP3... well, I only have SP2 here, and haven't downloaded SP3 yet...
Well .. like me .. thousand of simmers are (had) running FS9 upgraded FS9.1 with all the effectiveness and with no problems (exept the usual problems not related) under Win XP SP2FS9.1 run good under all the WinXP variations.Your problem is certainly not the type of OS (WinXP SP1 SP2 or SP3) but instead a FS2004 prob or some parts of your OS is corrupted (it's happend and it's revealed only when some conditions are gathered for a particular software to crash .. or even crash the PC)You need more investigations work.Of course the drastic solution (formating-install any WinXP OS and FS2004) will certainly cure the problem :( Regards.bye.gifGus.

Hello,Well .. like me .. thousand of simmers are (had) running FS9 upgraded FS9.1 with all the effectiveness and with no problems (exept the usual problems not related) under Win XP SP2FS9.1 run good under all the WinXP variations.Your problem is certainly not the type of OS (WinXP SP1 SP2 or SP3) but instead a FS2004 prob or some parts of your OS is corrupted (it's happend and it's revealed only when some conditions are gathered for a particular software to crash .. or even crash the PC)You need more investigations work.Of course the drastic solution (formating-install any WinXP OS and FS2004) will certainly cure the problem Big Grin.gif Regards.bye.gifGus.
Hi again!I uninstalled everything, including add ons (although I made backups of any mods installed), then installed WinXP SP3, then reinstalled the sim and the mods...it worked... I tested the same flight once more, and no more crash... I flew it again to reconfirm and sure enough, no squawks...thanks sir for the tips!

Glad you are sorted, my only reason for mentioning the FS9.1/XP SP3 combination is that it is the only arrangement I have personal experience of.Best wishes,John(not yet knighted!)
yup sir, thanks very much to the info you provided!this has been very helpful to me, as I have turned this hobby many years back into an essential tool for me now that I'm a pilot...thanks again sir!hans P.S. here's my current setup for anyone interestedWin XP SP3Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz CPU1 gb RAMFS9.1REX FS2004FScene 4X (FS9) Asia texturesPhilippine AI packagesAll philippine sceneries available, courtesy of PFSG