Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

MegaScenery Hawaii and Honolulu v5

I've got a problem with Bill Melicher's Honolulu Intl V5 scenery I'm hoping somone might be able to help me with. It's not the scenery itself, but a compatibility problem with MegaScenery's Hawaii scenery. The latter uses the default scenery's terminal buildings at PHNL. When I installed Bill's Honolulu scenery I discovered the default terminal building were still visible and overlapping the terminal buildings in Bill's scenery. In some cases trapping aircraft in boxes formed by this overlap. In others, aircraft are embedded in the still visible default buildings.The easiest solution, of course, would be to dump one or the other scenery file. I'm loath to give up Megascenery Hawaii because the terrain is considerably better than the default scenery. I'm equally loath to give up Bill's excellent PHNL scenery! Anything anyone might be able to suggest or know that will get rid of the default scenery buildings at PHNL altogether would be very much appreciated!BTW, I'm a big fan of all Bill's Hawaii scenery files! I use them in both FS2004 and FS2002. Regarding the latter, however, only the Lihua airport scenery works in FS2002 perfectly. At the time Bill uploaded his Hawaii scenery files, he commented in their file descriptions that he thought that they would work in FS2002, and they all do, but aside from his Lihua scenery, most have problems in FS2002:Honolulu - Ultimate Traffic A/C don't line up with the gates correctly and/or are embedded the terminal buildings/static aircraft (not an uncommon problem with addon scenery!). It's kind of strange to watch AI planes suddenly emerge from buildings or pass through static aircraft as they taxi to the runway!Hilo - works nearly perfectly with FS2002. It's only problem is that UT AI aircraft don't line up with the gates at Hilo just as with Honolulu.Lehina - the tarmac shrinks/expands as one's perspective changes in Spot view (Boeing Field in Seattle, WA in the default scenery has the same problem). I've never figured out why....Kona - the tarmac doesn't show up at all in FS2002!Lanai (sp?) - in addition to similar problems cited above (a/c embedded in buildings, static/AI planes not lined up with gates), ground vehicles such as baggage carriers are out of position and/or appear oversized (one, partially embedded in the terminal building is nearly as large as the terminal building is!).I wish AVSIM still had a forum for FS2002 or hadn't got rid of it's Orphaned FS sims forum. Either one would have been a more appropriate place to post the FS2002 related issues...Still, any assistance anyone may be able to provide would be appreciated! Thanks!Scott

I've got a problem with Bill Melicher's Honolulu Intl V5 scenery I'm hoping somone might be able to help me with. It's not the scenery itself, but a compatibility problem with MegaScenery's Hawaii scenery. The latter uses the default scenery's terminal buildings at PHNL. When I installed Bill's Honolulu scenery I discovered the default terminal building were still visible and overlapping the terminal buildings in Bill's scenery. In some cases trapping aircraft in boxes formed by this overlap. In others, aircraft are embedded in the still visible default buildings.BTW, I'm a big fan of all Bill's Hawaii scenery files! I use them in both FS2004 and FS2002. Regarding the latter, however, only the Lihua airport scenery works in FS2002 perfectly. At the time Bill uploaded his Hawaii scenery files, he commented in their file descriptions that he thought that they would work in FS2002, and they all do, but aside from his Lihua scenery, most have problems in FS2002:
1. Megascenery excludes certain default scenery and moves it to match the photo-terrain. The solution is to write an FS9 exclude (use for example excbuilder2) for the megascenery objects that are duplicated in Bill Melichar's PHNL. Place the exclude in your PHNL scenery folder, and ensure it has a highe scenery priority than the mega scenery. (Note: this problem may also exist if UT USA is installed along with the relocated objects QLRP4UT download.)2. AI in FS9 use bglcomp AFCAD2 bgls. In FS2002, AFD bgl files are used and AFCAD1 is used to adjust. I have no experience (always used Lago PHNL) but doing a search in the library for Melichar came up with a couple AFCAD1 files for PHNL.scott s..

1. Megascenery excludes certain default scenery and moves it to match the photo-terrain. The solution is to write an FS9 exclude (use for example excbuilder2) for the megascenery objects that are duplicated in Bill Melichar's PHNL. Place the exclude in your PHNL scenery folder, and ensure it has a highe scenery priority than the mega scenery. (Note: this problem may also exist if UT USA is installed along with the relocated objects QLRP4UT download.)2. AI in FS9 use bglcomp AFCAD2 bgls. In FS2002, AFD bgl files are used and AFCAD1 is used to adjust. I have no experience (always used Lago PHNL) but doing a search in the library for Melichar came up with a couple AFCAD1 files for PHNL.scott s..
Thanks, for the tips!Scott M.

I went ahead and renamed a couple of MegaScenery objects to use Bill's scenery. Actually, I moved them to another folder because I've heard that needs to be done because MegaScenery may still see them. So from the "Hawaii Oahu\Scenery" folder move the following bgls to another folder and see if that helps.PHNL-HonoluluIntl.bglhawaii-004.bglI've also been told that Afcads work best when placed in the Scenery folder where MegaScenery resides. Now if you have only one Afcad for PHNL, then you might try placing it in the MegaScenery "Hawaii Oahu\Scenery" folder. If that doesn't work well then either put it in Bill's scenery folder or one that is above both PHNL and MegaScenery Oahu.Let the group know if it work out...Mark

I went ahead and renamed a couple of MegaScenery objects to use Bill's scenery. Actually, I moved them to another folder because I've heard that needs to be done because MegaScenery may still see them. So from the "Hawaii Oahu\Scenery" folder move the following bgls to another folder and see if that helps.PHNL-HonoluluIntl.bglhawaii-004.bgl
PHNL-HonoluluIntl.bgl is the AFCAD. You can get rid of it. Note that there are other AFCAD2 files for Melichar's PHNL in the library, might be worth checking out esp if you run a lot of AI.hawaii-004.bgl has exclusions for the default scenery objects and and then places them in corrected positions, including at PHNL the terminal and other things there. So getting rid of this will fix your problem, but I suspect it might cause other objects away from the airport to also disappear, unless you have a replacement for it like the QLRP4UT file I mentioned. scott s..