Sign in to follow this  
Turbine777

Flight Sim up close

I think the moon phases are accurate in FSX.
Not on my install of FSX it sure isn't.@ Etienne, Awesome write up, bookmarked for life.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Sort of unrelated, but I found this a while ago:http://www.btinternet.com/~gb.mitch/index.htmlIt updates FSX navaids to airac 1004, so if you find there's some VOR missing somewhere, this may sort it out. Besides, as Eric pointed out, the 3D model will be added too

@ Etienne, Awesome write up, bookmarked for life.
Thanks man, glad you like it. I gotta admit I only took those NDB and the VOR close ups today specifically for this very thread, the others are only crops from older pics I had lying around, but whenever I get the chance I will make sure to update them accordingly so they reach the higher quality too. Also I forgot ILS markers and I hope I can add them soon enough.
Sort of unrelated, but I found this a while ago:http://www.btinterne...itch/index.htmlIt updates FSX navaids to airac 1004, so if you find there's some VOR missing somewhere, this may sort it out. Besides, as Eric pointed out, the 3D model will be added too
Thanks for the link, I will recheck later but as of now it seems to be broken for me. Googled for it but returned the same link as first result so I don't know. Would certainly be alright to have a more current DB in FSX. :(sig.gif

Thanks for the link, I will recheck later but as of now it seems to be broken for me. Googled for it but returned the same link as first result so I don't know. Would certainly be alright to have a more current DB in FSX. :(sig.gif
That's weird, it works for me. this is the direct download linkhttp://www.btinterne...airac010410.zipthat can be found in the "AIRAC" sectioninstructions: 1). Click on the Download button below and save the file to a temporary location. 2). Extract the AIRAC file from the ZIP file using WINZIP or a similar program 3). Copy the extracted AIRAC file to the following location C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 9/Addon Scenery/Scenery 4). Ensure that ADDON SCENERY is active by going to SCENERY withing the SETTINGS menu in Flight Simulator ensuring the ADDON SCENERY option tick box is selected. 5).Important:= If you update and have already updated with an earlier file - you MUST delete the OLD file before carrying out the update process.

LOL I do the same thing, even talking about places I can't help but adding a comment like, "Oh yeh, I know where Stonewall TX is because there is a VOR there!" and that is when my daughter will give me the eye-roll. Ha.
I totally do this. Casanova, VA, East Texas, PA, Carmel, NY, all ones my wife doesn't want to hear about any more.Dan777: Try to find a VOR in VA called "Linden". Its on the side of mountain.

AFAIK the stars, moon phases and positions, all such phenomena are accurately simulated in FS X, and so far everything I've seen checkout to what I see out the window. Yes, falling stars too... :) Reg VORs in real life, here's a photo from a Romanian VOR: the location is unique in that it is at the top of a mountain. It is the BRV (Brasov) DVOR/DME at 5900 feet (near top of Bucegi mountain). Although it is not used in any airway or procedure it is important in that in is used for INS position updating for a very big range.

Interesting posts.. To be honest I have never thought to look at the VOR stations in FSX..Just kind of track and pass over them usually at 30,000ft+... I guess this gives me something cool to go check out and do though... Only station I have ever seen in real life is a TACAN station that is at my work. Which is the NS Mayport TACAN. Those VOR stations look pretty cool though.. Almost like UFO's.

I totally do this. Casanova, VA, East Texas, PA, Carmel, NY, all ones my wife doesn't want to hear about any more.Dan777: Try to find a VOR in VA called "Linden". Its on the side of mountain.
Yeah - it's right on Skyline Drive.MOL is somewhat similar, being up on top of a ridge down near Waynesboro, also on Skyline/Blue Ridge Parkway.

Kyle Rodgers

I think the moon phases are accurate in FSX.
Not on my install of FSX it sure isn't.
I wonder why Dan? I've noticed that in my FSX install, as long as the time and date is set correctly, my moon phases show up correctly and the moon also appears to be in the correct position of the sky. Sometimes I notice this when I go for a jog at night and look at the sky while running. When I get home I will sometimes fire up the sim for a quick flight and from what I have noticed the moon in my sim seems to be accuratly represented from what I see outside as far as position and phase.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks Dario, I always wanted something that would update FSX like this. Will this also update the FSX Map and flight planner? I imagine by the explanation on the site it would but would thing that info was in something other than a .BGL. Thanks.Awesome pic Eric, I wonder how many Skiers think it's either a ride or some type of gear for the lift!As far as the moon in FSX goes, I'll have to keep a close eye on the moon but have compared it several times to full moons and it was never even remotely close.Etienne, I can't believe you just took them today. After thinking about it I think I'll definitely start making some short road trips and start gathering some pics of my own. I'm also going to start keeping an eye out more for NDB's and start planning routes more with them in it when possible. If they did it with the VOR's I don't see why they wouldn't with the NDB's. Now if they could only put a Hooters 1 mile from every truck stop, now that would be pretty cool :wink:Edit:

I wonder why Dan? I've noticed that in my FSX install, as long as the time and date is set correctly, my moon phases show up correctly and the moon also appears to be in the correct position of the sky.
Hi Sean, I prefer night flying personally. I have more night hours in FSX I think than anything. I normally set up the time whenever I fly to put me about 1hr before dusk so I see the sunset during flight and personally love light bloom on my addon airports during approach so that is my main reason for wanting to land dark, well that and I love the taxiway lights too.I never change the date though unless I'm showing someone a quick demo of my set up and it's winter and I want a little better fps (yeah say what you will but winter textures are larger files and do indeed cause my fps to drop :().I never knew though that it was suppose to be modeled or would have paid more attention to it. I will do some tests this week and compare, although I'll have to get the moon phases on line since my current weather is going to be overcast for the week it looks like.I'm glad it is modeled and starting this posts is worth it just to finally know that.Thanks, Edited by Turbine777

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

A really cool thing with the VORs too is that you start to recognize them in real life on road trips.
That, along with AWOS/ASOS, and especially airport beacons :(

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Another fun game (for those who are really bored) is finding all navaids from a certain area in Google Earth. Usually, since navaids position is given to a precision of hundredths of a minute, you will find then no more then 20 meters away from Google Earth pinpointing.

@ Dan- I believe that airac update does show on the map. It also adds everything to the default GPS. In the readme they tell you to look for a particular navaid thru the gps after installing to be sure the install worked right. FYI, that airac update also works for FS9 too since both use the same navaid database.

Bill Howard

pmdg_trijet.jpg

Thanks Bill, I just got back in and had a look after installing it. I can clearly see intersections that weren't there this morning and I think some jetways as well. I've been using the FSX map a lot lately while working on a project and soon as I loaded it I noticed the difference. I never used a GPS before but after buying the Realair Duke B60, I bought the RXP WAAS 530 since it's modeled already for their VC. It uses the garmin trainer files I believe so don't think this made a difference for it, but will definitely help when I need to reference the map and perhaps I won't mind doing that as much now.@ Felipe, That's what I mentioned but with using http://www.runwayfinder.com. It too uses google map's satelite images (the same) but is much easier since you can just first find the Navaid on the IFR map, zoom in, then change it to satelite and zoom in further and there she be :(

Dan Prunier

Another one to look out for in FS - if you fly over very Northern Europe (top of Norway, Iceland, Finland etc) you'll often see the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis). I do have a screenie somewhere but can't find it right now, in FS it usually shows as swathes of shimmering green light across the night sky and is quite dramatic.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg