Sign in to follow this  
kestutaitis

transition altitude

In FMC VNAV page i entered transition altitude let's say 6000,starting flight,climb to FL320,and when i starting desent,at flight level 18000 feet ,at Primary flight display apear yellow mark line look like, i am reached transition altitude,but it's not correct, it must apear when i reach this altitude 6000 fett,but not at FL 180,why??

Hi some one can correct me if iam wrong but iam sure when u are decending u need to input the transition as well other wise it will be set to 18000

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Transition Altitude is for climbing, you still need to enter the Transition Level in the descent forecast page or it will default to 18000ft. It's been a while but that's how I remember it.Regards

Rob Prest

If I fly in non-US countries,I set my transition level to 14000 feet in Europe and 11000 feet in Asia.I set these levels in both the Climb page as well as the Descent page,and to date,have had no issues at all.If I recall correctly,the purpose of setting these transition levels is so that you have to switch from the normally routine departure airport 29.92 pressure to STD when reaching the transition level.

If I fly in non-US countries,I set my transition level to 14000 feet in Europe and 11000 feet in Asia.I set these levels in both the Climb page as well as the Descent page,and to date,have had no issues at all.If I recall correctly,the purpose of setting these transition levels is so that you have to switch from the normally routine departure airport 29.92 pressure to STD when reaching the transition level.
In Europe the Trans Alt/Level changes a lot so it's best to check the charts. In the UK alone it changes quite a bit, 6000ft for Heathrow & Gatwick 4000ft in other areas.

Rob Prest

A very rough list as they do vary within each country:- Austria 5000 Australia 10000 Belgium 4500 Canada 18000 Denmark 5000 France 4000 Germany 5000 G. Britain 6000 Hong Kong 9000 Hungary 7000 Ireland 5000 Italy 6000 Japan 14000 Korea 14000 Luxembourg 4500 Netherlands 3000 Norway 4000 Portugal 4000 Slovenia 10500 South Africa 7500 Spain 6000 Sweden 5000 Switzerland 7000 Turkey 15000USA 18000 USSR 1000MJohn Ellison

A very rough list as they do vary within each country:- Austria 5000 Australia 10000 Belgium 4500 Canada 18000 Denmark 5000 France 4000 Germany 5000 G. Britain 6000 Hong Kong 9000 Hungary 7000 Ireland 5000 Italy 6000 Japan 14000 Korea 14000 Luxembourg 4500 Netherlands 3000 Norway 4000 Portugal 4000 Slovenia 10500 South Africa 7500 Spain 6000 Sweden 5000 Switzerland 7000 Turkey 15000USA 18000 USSR 1000MJohn Ellison
This is absolutely brilliant John.Thank you for such a well researched item.You have taught me something because I have been flying for years non-USA 14000ft and North America 18000ft.Now,thanks to you I know better.

It pays to check the charts for the particular area though Rick. As I stated it is very rough, for example Spain LEBL area the TA is 6000ft but if around the LEMD area the TA is 13000ft; just depends on the area rather than a blanket coverage of the country.As Rob stated above the UK varies between 6000ft and 4000ft .John Ellison

... As Rob stated above the UK varies between 6000ft and 4000ft .
I'm not fundamentally disagreeing with you, John, but Jersey (EGJJ) is part of the UK, and if I remember correctly the TA there is 3000 ft? :( Cheers,Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

I'm not fundamentally disagreeing with you, John, but Jersey (EGJJ) is part of the UK, and if I remember correctly the TA there is 3000 ft? :( Cheers,Brian
I was saying it varies quite a bit in the UK 6000 & 4000ft were just figures I could remember.Anyway I think we all agree it's best to check the charts! :(

Rob Prest

It pays to check the charts for the particular area though Rick. As I stated it is very rough, for example Spain LEBL area the TA is 6000ft but if around the LEMD area the TA is 13000ft; just depends on the area rather than a blanket coverage of the country.As Rob stated above the UK varies between 6000ft and 4000ft .John Ellison
Thanks for the suggestion,John.If only I could afford the various charts.This hobby is expensive enough with all the Add-on aircraft,never mind the Addon-sceneries.If there is a link to a freeware charts,I'd be grateful.

If there is a link to a freeware charts,I'd be grateful.
You're at EGCC, according to your profile. So these ought to keep you happy for a while..... :( They're often prettier than the ones from Navigraph, too. But I couldn't fly without them, let alone do the flight planning..... Cheers,Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

Cheers Brian, I didn't check then all lol but admit I forgot that one - shame on me. Emil, Ill correct my list, dunno where I got 4000 from, must have been an odd airport that I thought was general.Rick if you go to Google and type in the code for the airport and chart it usually brings up a few pages for them, although not always up to date I will admit.For example 'egll charts' will bring up lots of links to them.... just some are REALLY hard to track down unfortunately.For the UK Brians linkage there is very accurate as is any on Flightaware.com for the US and Airservicesaustralia.com for OZ, EAD.eurocontrol.int for Europe - could go on listing sites but there are soooo manyJohn Ellison