Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

Do you think the autogen power utility pylons are large enough and easy to see?

Guest JonP01

I can't believe I've spent maybe 50 hours flying and only started to notice these pylons last night! And that is the problem. On my 17" monitor at 1024 x 768 resolution, these pylons are *extremely* difficult to see, unless one is quite close to the ground and deliberately making a concerted effort to look for them.The two problems I see are this: Firstly, the background bitmap upon which the pylon vectors are placed blends very well with the surrounding scenery. Secondly, I am sure the pylons are true to scale, but is that what we really want when we are using a flat, 2D monitor with a much lower resolution that real life and a much smaller viewing area than real life?What do real pilots think? Are the pylons in FS2004 harder see than they are in real life?And maybe a question for Chris Willis. Would you know of any way the terrain mask for the utility plyons could be changed to make those narow strips of terrain easier to see? I tried changing the terrain.cfg file to change the bitmap mask but it didn't make any difference at all.

Guest Gordius

I would say it's personal preference. For myself I think that they fine. Their size needs to be relative to other scenery and I would rather that they are hard to spot / unobtrusive. Maybe someone can add how they really look from the air I haven't ever seen any for real myselfAndrew"If it can go wrong it probably will. If it doesn't then turn it off"

Guest JonP01

Hi Andrew,That was the exact question that was now on my mind. Can someone like Geofa let us know if they are realistic in terms of visibility? I tend to think they would be easier to see in real life. One big difference I notice in FS9 in Australia is that the pylons tend to run over the generic forest textures which are dark green. Although they use a light green bitmap mask, the resulting "trail" is still sometimes hard to pick out. Here in Australia in real life, the pylons usually have a fair amount of sparse terrain around them, which I imagine makes them quite visible as long, wide bands from the air. But like you, I've never been up to see for myself.