Sign in to follow this  

My 8800gt which I was happy with just burned out.Can someone recomend a current good card for under say $250 that would be an improvement/good value? I haven't kept up with video cards at all.I have a Intel i7 920@2.67ghz, 12 gb ram, windows 7.Thanks for any advice!

Geof,You will want to look at the GTX460 or GTX470 price range from $229 to $380 depending on wheter you want a superclocked edition or not.Regards,Bob

What is it for Geofa? if it's just for flight simming, the GTX460 1GB is the best bang for the buck at the moment. Maybe even the GTS 450, but I'm not sure if it can run 16x AAThe 460 is smaller a lot less power hungry and overclocks better than the 470-480sI picked the Gigabyte for the dual fan and because it's very quiet. Many suggested to get that one when I asked in other forums

What is for Geofa? if it's just for flight simming, the GTX460 1GB is the best bang for the buck at the moment. Maybe even the GTS 450, but I'm not sure if it can run 16x AAThe 460 is smaller a lot less power hungry and overclocks better than the 470-480sI picked the Gigabyte for the dual fan and because it's very quiet. Many suggested to get that one when I asked in other forums
Thanks Bob and Dazz for the advice-sounds perfect.. It is only for flight simming.

Thanks Bob and Dazz for the advice-sounds perfect.. It is only for flight simming.
I also have the Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB. It does the job very well and I was able to easily overclock it by 25%. But to be honest, it runs FSX just fine at the factory settings, so I just leave it at that.However, I would advise you to steer clear of the Gigabyte for now. I've read a number of reviews on Newegg about that one failing; it seems like they've had a bad batch. A good alternative would be the MSI. From what I've read, it's just as quiet as the Gigabyte and there don't appear to be any quality control issues with it. Around the time I was buying, they were also throwing in better freebies than Gigabyte. Too bad they were sold out and I was impatient, haha.

My 8800gt which I was happy with just burned out.Can someone recomend a current good card for under say $250 that would be an improvement/good value? I haven't kept up with video cards at all.I have a Intel i7 920@2.67ghz, 12 gb ram, windows 7.Thanks for any advice!
Hi Geof,This reminds me that years ago I bought a 8800gt for FS9, and unless my memory completely forsakes me, I think it was on your recommendation..can't be too certain though. Anyway, I too think that the 460 GTX (with the highest possible memory) would work very well for you if you leave your CPU at stock clock. If on the other hand you have a mind to overclock at some point, a 470 GTX would be a better match. Prices are coming down on all the 400s lately so a wee bit of shopping around should get it close to the $300 range.Kind regards,

I also have the Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB.  It does the job very well and I was able to easily overclock it by 25%.  But to be honest, it runs FSX just fine at the factory settings, so I just leave it at that.However, I would advise you to steer clear of the Gigabyte for now.  I've read a number of reviews on Newegg about that one failing; it seems like they've had a bad batch.  A good alternative would be the MSI.  From what I've read, it's just as quiet as the Gigabyte and there don't appear to be any quality control issues with it.  Around the time I was buying, they were also throwing in better freebies than Gigabyte.  Too bad they were sold out and I was impatient, haha.
Mine seems to run fine.    :Confused:  Just luv it!  Go ahead and overclock but it cruises along just fine with the factory OC.  Also, it is important to get the core to memory sync just right.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Mine seems to run fine. :Confused: Just luv it! Go ahead and overclock but it cruises along just fine with the factory OC. Also, it is important to get the core to memory sync just right.jja
Thanks again all-just installed my Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB and am waiting for a reboot to give it a test drive. The price was right and I am looking forward to it.Thanks again for the quick responses.

Mine seems to run fine. :Confused: Just luv it! Go ahead and overclock but it cruises along just fine with the factory OC. Also, it is important to get the core to memory sync just right.jja
Mine does too... here's hoping it stays that way! I just feel like I have to throw that out there when someone's considering the card.Congrats on the purchase. Enjoy it!

Mine does too... here's hoping it stays that way! I just feel like I have to throw that out there when someone's considering the card.Congrats on the purchase. Enjoy it!
Thanks again everyone-I picked one up for just a little over $200 and am very impressed with not only increased performance butter beautiful visuals.Great card for the price!