Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Real Pilots : What about trim changes?

Hi All.I'm working on a little utility to modify the way trim forces are felt in FS with a FF Joystick. I think trim forces are modeled wrong, but I've only had 12 hours dual instruction in a C150, about 2 years ago, (What a blast! Hope to be doing more soon) and I need some current pilots to confirm or deny my theories.So here goes : In FS, when you are out-of-trim, but flying a constant attitude (say, straight and level), and you then change the trim setting to remove the control forces, you have to make substantial changes to the yoke (joystick) position, in proportion to how much you change the trim, in order to maintain your present attitude. It's like you're chasing this imaginary "neutral" position, which usually results in a lot of unplanned pitch excursions.My recollections of the C150 are that no such "chasing" is necessary. You just change the trim until you can no longer feel any forces, but at no time do you have to make significant changes in yoke position to compensate for trim changes.How does this sound to the rest of you?Russ Dirks

That's correct. The displacement of the yoke doesn't change as you hold a constant attitude and trim off control pressure.

That is true for aircraft which use trim tabs, but not true for larger aircraft which trim via all moving stabilators. So these modifications would only apply to the GA sort of aircraft.

For me-the #1 problem of fs now that reality is so good in so many areas-are the control forces/feedback. I use the ch usb yoke/pedals-but frankly the "feel" is not right, and the trim is definately not.Considering what an important aspect of flying both are, there must be a nitch here-either in better hardware or software that can somehow help.I don't really see how flight models can be improved when the control device doesn't really give feedback that is even close to reality.The trim is the most frustrating for me right now-seconded by the actual control feel.....http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg