Sign in to follow this  
Emile

Trouble downloading files from the library?

Is anyone else having trouble downloading files from the file library? Im trying to download a few files and every time I click on the download link the page that says "download in progress" but then I get "the page cannot be displayed"Is anyone else having this sort of trouble?

Yeah there seem's to be some sort of problem right now.Oh well, I'll go get some sleep & hopefully it will be fixed by the morning.

Ok, it just seems to happening with the files Im trying to download and no others. I and trying to download leal2003_addon1.zip and leal_2k_afcad.zip. Wierd

There have been several threads on this subject in the AVSIM File library Forum. I had the problem and it was cured by making the following browser changes indicated by Ken Salter and Tom Allensworth in one of these threads.From Ken:'Make sure you have PASSIVE set for ftp transfers in your browser.'From Tom:"If you have IE that is updated with the latest security patches, that will cause the problems. If you go to TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, SECURITY and TRUSTED SITES and then click on SITES, you will need to put the following in to get IE to see AVSIM as a trusted site:www.avsim.comftp.avsim.comforums.avsim.net*.avsim.netUnclick 'Require HTTPS: for all sites in this zone" to get those URL's to work.'Some other replies indicated that firewall settings might need to be changed, but that wasn't necessary in my case.Hope this helps,Dugald

Thanks for the assist in explaining this Dugald. /rant mode=onMy personal rant is that in trying to protect us from ourselves, MS assumes that all users of their products will know how to fix issues that their automated updates create. In the case of the issues with the AVSIM library, these primarily result from MS' view of security risks. One of the security issues they addressed in version 6.1 of Internet Explorer (or there abouts), was that of "cross URL" page links. In other words, if a frame called a page from a different URL than it was hosted on, MS IE would interpret this as a threat. And it can be. Rogue webmasters can use this facility to do bad things on your system. However, in implementing this, MS disregarded the thousands of web sites that use multiple servers to provide content to users, lik AVSIM. If you enter the AVSIM Main Page, and then click on FILE LIBRARY at the top menu, you will force the system to bring up the library page in the main page frame. In doing so, you "violate" MS' assumed security rules. In order not to do this, you must allow in IE, that secondary URL (ftp.avsim.net) as a trusted site. And so it goes with *.avsim.net, forum.avsim.net, etc.My second rant is that users don't take responsibility for understanding what is being done to them by MS, or others, when they allow auto-updating. Instead of taking the time to understand what the update might have done, the immediate assumption is that AVSIM (and other sites) have done something to shut down their access. You should see some of the infantile email and PM's that we get assuming the worst and blaming us. It's frustrating beyond measure, very time consuming to respond to, and sometimes forces us to consider havingg a group head examination with our closest $4.99 an hour shrink. :)/rant mode=off

Guest Bigshot

The only update I've applied for XP Home was the recent MSBLASTER patch. I got XP last September so it's an early version with no SP1. I see they caught that blaster guy. I download 99 percent of my files from the AVSIM library. Good speeds on my cable modem and never had a failed download yet. Works perfect almost always. The forum is kinda slow this morning though. I'm having to wait a couple seconds for the pages to open. This place can spoil one!!

Guest 747drvr

Yea, but Tom there is a problem. The whole site is VERY slow today and it takes about four to five minutes to see a thread.Worked great last night at 11PM central time u.s. And no sir its not a microsoft update.Might be alot of people trying to access here though.

Hello,I did remove the XP Firewall and all was OK

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64