Sign in to follow this  
Robi77

Problem with a MD-11 flight

I wonder if anybody could help me by trying the following flight and let me know if it works.Somebody who flies a lot and would not mind doing it.For my part I have never achieved it and after 30 attempts I am aboutto give up.My goal is to fly from Geneva,Switzerland ( LSGG,rwy 05 ) to Zurich,Switzerland ( LSZH ),using the same STAR as described in the MD-11 Tutorial "London - Zurich ).I downloaded the Tutorial London-Zurich MD-11 and entered the following:Loading: Mixed Class,1/3 Pax,all cargo squares green,fuel 30 tons which provides: ZFW : 175.3 ZFWCG : 22.5 TOCG : 26.7Flight Level 260 CI = 80My flightplan was then entered as: LSGG - SPR - FRI( 110.85 freq ) - BLM and then the STAR ( BLM1G - ILS14 - Gipol )The big problem is the approach and landing.I got the LOC,the G/S andat appr 1400 feet radio alt the Green Box.But no green Dual Land.After that messages like terrain,terrain appear and prior to landing theautopilot disconnects.I try to figure out what goes wrong and appreciate your help.Hubert Werni

Hello!You did adjust your altimeter to local pressure at the transition altitude usually 18000ft didn't you? Guthrie Zuehlke

Hello!You did adjust your altimeter to local pressure at the transition altitude usually 18000ft didn't you? Guthrie Zuehlke
What I did when approaching 8000 feet was to press B on the keyboard.I assume that should have done it.

If you had the altimeter set to STD at the time you might have to switch it off to a numerical reading before the "B" option will work.

Bill Howard

pmdg_trijet.jpg

What I did when approaching  8000  feet  was to press B on the keyboard.I assume that should have done it.
Hi Hubert,that's correct, if pressing B you setup the local barometric pressure. The difference between flying in the States and Europe is, that Transition Level (TL) in your case isn't based to 18.000ft. It depends on the local barometric pressure.if QNH > 1013 hPa:                                            Transition Level = FL60if QNH is between 983 and 1013 hPa:                 Transition Level = FL70if QNH < 983 hPa:                                              Transition Level = FL80The Transition Altitute (TA)  is always given by the chartsback to you primary problem:The MD-11 Autoflight System (AFS) checks shortly below 1500ft AGL several parameters as speed and wind conditions. If something doesn't fit to get the AFS satisfied, the  "Autoland" Test announcement, shown in the FMA, fails. regards

Hello Hubert,I have just flown the route, LSGG-LSZH. No problems at all, here's what I did:-I would not download the tutorial, begin by using the FSX Flight Planner LSGG-LSZH, this will give you the below plan and will allow your FMC to load it from FSX, or you can string it yourself if you want to.Route should be:LSGG>GVA>SPR>VADAR>ULMES>BADAP>ROTOS>BERSU>SUREP>DITON...then ...from DITTON Star BLM1G>ILS14>GIPOL.The STAR I had to amend:-...T/D DITTON> BLM> ZH677 delete this waypoint > GIPOL> TRA/10> CF14>FF14> RW14. ( Its important to delete ZH677 its too high and adds a 180 degree turn.........clearly wrong!)From BLM to CF14 there is quite a descent so I needed to obey the ADDDRAG and use the spoilers to maintain the magenta dot. Otherwise no problems. This will give you a nice approach, well clear of the ground and some nice views into Zurich!:( On your post you state a ZFW @ 175.3? I cannot achieve this weight with 1/3PAX? I flew it with ZFW @325.724 with about 90,000lbs fuel. I set Cost Index at 50. The APPRLAND goes in at CF14 @4000', LOC capture is almost instant with G/S very soon afterwards.Hope this helps. Give it a go and see if it works on your aircraft! I fly a lot in the Alps, I love the challenge of mountain approaches, especially around Sion. Regards.David Harrison
Thanks.I will try this.Hubert

Herbert Werni

David,I'm intrigued where you got the ATC chatter from in the cockpit on T/O and that UK voiceset in that video for Hubert?

Hello, Hubert how did you get on?I did a small film of this flight. Its a wonderful little trip, in a superb aircraft. Have a look. I amended the cruise altitude to 240, since its such a short flight ( 128 miles)Here:http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yakUnTi_5PI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yakUnTi_5PI

RegardsDavid Harrison.Hi,I watched the film which I find wonderful.Hubert Werni

The STAR I had to amend:-...T/D DITTON> BLM> ZH677 delete this waypoint > GIPOL> TRA/10> CF14>FF14> RW14. ( Its important to delete ZH677 its too high and adds a 180 degree turn.........clearly wrong!)
David,nothing wrong with ZH677, but with your STAR choice. Coming from Geneva you should NOT fly a BLM1G but instead a DOPIL1G, followed by whatever transition is needed for the runway in use and its ILS, that's what's being flown on that route on real flights. Plus the cruise altitude is never as high as FL240, this flight stays in the lower area sectors at all times. Normally the agreed cruising flight level between Zurich and Geneva is 150 and 160 respectively. This one is really low altitude...Cheers,Markus

Markus Burkhard

David,you're welcome, I just thought I'd give you some more information as I know this route well from work. It was flown with real MD-11 too from time to time. Swissair and later Swiss Intl. Air Lines used to have an MD-11 on the Geneva-New York run, so from time to time the aircraft was scheduled between ZRH and GVA to get maintenance and/or exchange it with another MD-11.Cheers,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Markus,how coincidental what you write up about those Swissair flights because in the Just Planes Swissair MD-11 DVD,a scheduled MD-11 flight from LSZH to Buenos Aries is actually shown taking off from Zurich for a short hop to Geneva before proceeding onwards to Buenos Aries.One of the best MD-11 DVDs IMHO specially seeing the static arcing across the windshield at night.Your reply to David was also helpful to me,as I too learned something new too.Thanks.