Sign in to follow this  
SidekickUBT

Blurry Textures - Dedicated Hard Drive?

All,I've read so many threads around blurry textures. Seems to me that people whoi do not experience blurry textures fly small lanes not the heavies. Would a dedicated hard drive help with blurry "ground" textures?I've got a overclocked 4ghz pc and still get blurries.Tim

By itself, probably not. If you're getting blurries on a 4ghz system, something is not set up properly.Get the dedicated drive because it will help, and then tune your system.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest wims

A dedicated drive is not important, what is important is how you have set up your gfx driver and your fsx.cfg

Make sure you are using:Anisotropic=1MipBias=5 (higher numbers - up to 9 - can decrease bluriness)AntiAlias=1Under display device in your fsx.cfgIn the terrain section tryLOD_RADIUS=8.500000 (note that you need to change it in the cfg every time you make a change in fsx though).Defrag, defrag and defrag again.make sure you are using the latest video drivers.Hope some of these might help.IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Thank you very much. I was expecting some $mart-a$$ comments.Tim

Make sure you are using:Anisotropic=1MipBias=5 (higher numbers - up to 9 - can decrease bluriness)AntiAlias=1Under display device in your fsx.cfgIn the terrain section tryLOD_RADIUS=8.500000 (note that you need to change it in the cfg every time you make a change in fsx though).Defrag, defrag and defrag again.make sure you are using the latest video drivers.Hope some of these might help.IAN

A dedicated drive is not important, what is important is how you have set up your gfx driver and your fsx.cfg
I would have to agree with what he said. Although I have two drives, one is only used as a backup for downloads and stuff like that. I have WinXP and FSX on the same drive and fly mostly airliners into the hubs in my sig and never have any problems with blurries and I am running an older CPU and only 2gb RAM.You could try this tuning thread here by NickN that has a lot of suggestions for getting set up correctly. http://www.simforums.com/forums/setting-up-fsx-and-how-to-tune-it_topic29041.html

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

There's nothing wrong - there still isn't a computer out there without exotic cooling that can handle FSX with complex scenery and weather and complex airplanes.

One thing that will cause blurries is this one:[MAIN]FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.25Make sure it is .2 or larger. I think 0.33 is normal.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest wims

0.33 is default, but I dont think that line has any function after SP2. It was used when FSX was single threaded, to determine how much time would be spent on loading and filtering textures

0.33 is default, but I dont think that line has any function after SP2. It was used when FSX was single threaded, to determine how much time would be spent on loading and filtering textures
nope; Climbing out of Seattle, turning 240 at 2000' in the Maddog I can produce blurries over a goodly area by reducing fftf to any figure less than about 0.18. I now leave it at the .25 and all's good.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Reduce vis to 20NM. Turn down autogen one notch. Ensure water is set to 2X Low.

Keith Sandford.

After all of that, perhaps the next thing to play with are the bufferpools settings. I am using 10 million (10000000) it's not supposed to work, but it does for me.IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)