Sign in to follow this  
Turbine777

Name signing rule

This is just meant as a detour. If people want to complain about the rule, here ya go. At least this way there will only be one topic that should be deleted rather than several posts,,, a time saver no doubt.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Guest wims

I do not wish to complain about the rule, its their board and obviously their rules apply. However, I do wish to express my opinion about people taking it into their own hands to play the moderator role. This is not something normal forum users should do and it is bound to cause friction between forum users like you and me. There's a reason why they appoint moderators, probably for the same reason why the government wont let everybody be the policeman and take matters into their own hands, vigilante style. Leave the moderating to the moderator crew, and if there's a post that is breaking the rules and you feel strongly about it then I recommend using the report post feature. Thats what the report post feature is designed for

wims, in that case when You see drunk man beating girl on street You do nothing, right? "Hey that's police work, what do I care..." Ok, it is stupid example I know, but anyone has right to kindly ask for putting signature if tis is forum rule, and You don't have to be moderator to expect and ask for order.

I do not wish to complain about the rule, its their board and obviously their rules apply. However, I do wish to express my opinion about people taking it into their own hands to play the moderator role. This is not something normal forum users should do and it is bound to cause friction between forum users like you and me. There's a reason why they appoint moderators, probably for the same reason why the government wont let everybody be the policeman and take matters into their own hands, vigilante style. Leave the moderating to the moderator crew, and if there's a post that is breaking the rules and you feel strongly about it then I recommend using the report post feature. Thats what the report post feature is designed for
I don't know about you, but if I am accidently breaking a rule I would like to have someone warn me before my post gets deleted and/or I am banned. And when people are obviously breaking the rule on purpose (such as you are) then it makes no difference whether they are stopped by a moderator or a normal player. Its the "rule breaking" part that matters.Also, breaking a rule just because you agree with it doesn't mean your not breaking it. If you don't want to post your name here, don't post here. Its that simple. Its not like people can say "I think marijuana should be legal" and go smoke it and not get arrested.-Greg Hetherington

Gents-In our opinion, the beauty of what makes this forum effective is that everyone looks after one another.That means answering questions for others when you know the answer- and it also means politely pointing new participants toward the norms and the requirements of participating here.The goal is that everyone should treat one another with respect and dignity. For those who can't: well... the moderators have the power to make them non-persons in the old Orwellian style. Just ask...oh....wait...Ryan already did away with him... I'll find another example.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I don't know about you, but if I am accidently breaking a rule I would like to have someone warn me before my post gets deleted and/or I am banned.-Greg Hetherington
This is the main reason I actually started reminding people. I think forums are pretty funny, being that the normal residence of the forums can really cut someone down for nothing more than missing something. I think it's pretty pathetic and glad things are different here. I myself had to be reminded several times years ago by D.D.The rule states all posts, but I normally just say it to the topic starter to avoid the topic being locked or deleted. I honestly hate the arguing over it and love the rule since if you've been around this forum long enough, it really adds more to it than takes away. I think it's much more personable to read "Hi Dan" and type things like "Hi Greg" rather than Hi battlestartgalaticafan0008293, haha.It makes things more personable.I will continue to help others and give them friendly reminders. I do agree with what others have brought up that it would be nice if it was enforced more since certain individuals with over 7000+ posts still refuse to do it. That of course is a mod thing and I stay out of it, but will not stop being friendly and helping others.Edit: You type much faster than me Robert!

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

wims, in that case when You see drunk man beating girl on street You do nothing, right? "Hey that's police work, what do I care..." Ok, it is stupid example I know, but anyone has right to kindly ask for putting signature if tis is forum rule, and You don't have to be moderator to expect and ask for order.
As far as the whole checking for illegal copies go I prefer the tech forums where you have to register your product so you at least know the person your helping hasn't downloaded the program off piratebay. As far as I'm aware thats not possible on Avsim.It is polite to use your real name when posting and I'm glad I know a lot of the guy's here on a first name basis but I don't think it should be forced on anyone. I dont really have a problem with it but I can search my own name on Google and it brings some of my old Avsim posts which is a little worrying.If I ask someone to sign there post it's only because I dont want to see the post get deleted, especially if it's a good topic.well it's not a democracy and not like where posting credit card details on here...

Rob Prest

I dont really have a problem with it but I can search my own name on Google and it brings some of my old Avsim posts which is a little worrying.
That's exactly the issue with this policy. You never know (nor you can imagine) reasons why an individual prefers to hide in global communities like the Internet. Even in honest and noncritical areas like flightsimming there might be good and understandable reasons for doing so. Imagine R/W pilots who love flightsimming but don't want to be recognized by their corporate fellows? Not the ideal example I know, but ... Not to mention divorced former husbands, work seekers and so on ...Data privacy is for sure not a "nice to have" these days but something we should appreciate and support. Even "old" public media like journalism, TV etc had always been defining ways to protect individuality - why should it be different in Internet forums?Don't get me wrong, I fully agree with asking for registration to check proper licensing etc; it's a proper way to protect investment against SW piracy and something we should appreciate.But to sign a reply with a "real" name which can easily be faked as described above looks a bit like a mid-term solution which hasn't been brought to the end.Forum contributions (particularly the good ones) are characterized by content, not by real-world signatures. IMHO.Kind Regards,Torstenps: with regards to the potentially cryptic login names ... Dan, I still recognize you much better as Turbine777 :-)

Dan, I still recognize you much better as Turbine777 :-)
As does my girlfriend

Dan Prunier

When you purchased your PMDG product from their website, you are in their database. A faked alias will not get support.

Guest wims

What if you purchased from a Brick and Mortar store? Or if your wife bought it to you as a present? Or what if you dont own any PMDG products, but are only here to see the progress of the 737ngx which you are planning to buy in the future? I always thought the name policy was to increase the intimacy of the forum, especially here in the general PMDG forum, which doesnt really support any specific product

When you purchased your PMDG product from their website, you are in their database. A faked alias will not get support.
Hi Alex,I was just referring to the topic: named signing rules.BestTorsten

I am no fan of the full name policy, since I use my alias on several messageboards with varying topics. I have no problem with giving my first name,but I don't want anyone to be able connecting too many dots. I value my internet privacy.Karsten

I think people freak out about their name way more than they should. Normally these same people have a wide open Myspace, Twitter, Facespace, you name it. I think most people don't really believe half their own BS but rather use it as what they can temporarily lean on.

Dan Prunier

I think people freak out about their name way more than they should. Normally these same people have a wide open Myspace, Twitter, Facespace, you name it. I think most people don't really believe half their own BS but rather use it as what they can temporarily lean on.
The funny this is that as long as you don't have some really really uncommon name a quick google search can find a lot of other people with your same name. Apparently I'm also a football player from Canada. Big%20Grin.gifAlso, I don't completely agree with the full name rules or anything, but since I post here, I do it. The people who just put their first name or none at all are simply being rebellious in my mind. I also don't think that its a coincidence that people that don't post their name tend to have worse attitudes than those that do. It seems to help keep things civil if people actually some vague idea of who you are. -Greg Hetherington