Sign in to follow this  
Turbine777

Name signing rule

Neither am I. But being part of this community is not a must, and when You decide to be part of any community You should stick to it's rules.

... and when You decide to be part of any community You should stick to it's rules.
There it is

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

If The Management (and Dan) would like to know why I sign as I do, I can supply a powerpoint presentation on why. It's not a paranoia, it's a defence security thing. I'm sure you will understand. Hell, I'll even supply my surname in a PM, but here in an open forum, sorry I can't and won't.Cheers, Chris D

As a complete aside, (Let me reiterate that I have no qualms or comments about the name signing rule), it has been noted in the past and in other message boards that you name - just your name and the city you live in - is enough to find detailed information about you in most cases. The devs from the online game "WoW" recently asked the internet community to find info about them from just the names of several new or unknown employees - within an hour information about past wives, past addresses, attended schools, even the worth of some of their houses were being posted.In light of that, I even went ahead and googled my parent's names - just their names and the city I'm in - and found my address. I even found information on when my house was built. :( (And no, I've never touched myspace/facebook/etc). While I don't intend to distill fear or say anything other than an interesting perspective on the rule, I thought it was an interesting factoid to put out here.(Though to be honest, anyone with a PPL is also listed on the FAA's website with all pertinent information available)

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

If The Management (and Dan) would like to know why I sign as I do, I can supply a powerpoint presentation on why. It's not a paranoia, it's a defence security thing. I'm sure you will understand. Hell, I'll even supply my surname in a PM, but here in an open forum, sorry I can't and won't.Cheers, Chris D
Then your making a decision that goes against the rules and should have your posts deleted. I mean seriously, people like you could just make up a fake name and live happily ever after until you need support that is, then you could just PM a Moderator and speak your case, but why do that? Yes that in itself is wrong to do, but it's a whole lot better than just posting the way some do saying "Hi folks, I disagree etc... signed one name"Is that meant to show standing up for ones rights or something? To me it screams "Hey look at me, I'm an individual" and to me it makes no sense. I disagree with countless things in my life but despite what you see here in forums and right now, I blend in rather good and don't make waves and cause any uneccassary attention to myself. It reminds me of people that chain themselves to trees just for publicity, haha seriously it really does.I also am not going to say whether I agree with the rule or not. I think in some way that in itself is wrong, but that's just me. To me it is disrespectful and doesn't matter and has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Is that suppose to say I want everyone to like me so, yeah my full name is below, but hey guys, don't hate me for it because I'm cool too and on your side? :( It's not about sides, it's about not being difficult or a trouble maker.If people don't want to sign a full name, great, don't, no ones stopping you, but knowing it's a rule? Well then you shouldn't post anything.I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking you, I'm really not, merely going into example and starting to ramble is all (haha, getting a little heated,,, lack of sleep will do that I suppose). I respect everyone and of course their privacy. I don't however agree with the decision to go against the current when the water isn't yours.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Well Dan, as I am a genuine customer (as I said previously, I'm more then happy to supply my surname and order numbers and email address to The Management), I'm also entitled to support. If you search for my previous posts, you'll see that like yourself, my posts are generally providing support to others.And as you have no more rights than myself on this forum (whilst you are easily the most prolific poster on here, and pretty close on the entire AVSIM forums, you are still a 'mere' customer), I'll take my advise from The Management and not from yourself. I appreciate your help to others on this forum, but you're not an employee of PMDG.Sorry Dan, but my job comes before your ego. And anyone else on this forum with defence contractor experience (and I know I'm not the only only one) will also understand where I'm coming from. If you're interested, in some of my earlier posts I did sign my full name, and have the caution from my security officer to prove it. :( Regards, Chris D

Sorry Dan, but my job comes before your ego. And anyone else on this forum with defence contractor experience (and I know I'm not the only only one) will also understand where I'm coming from. If you're interested, in some of my earlier posts I did sign my full name, and have the caution from my security officer to prove it. :( Regards, Chris D
You miss the point. I wish you really knew me, I really do, I have zero ego. Not to sound sarcastic but I don't care if you're a defence contractor or a burger flipper it has nothing to do with anything. Nice of you to point that all out though, because if I was or someone else is out to steal your identity, you making sure to keep pointing out how classified your name should be will probably have people looking for those posts you mentioned where you signed your full name :( Hurry up! Find them and PM a mod to delete them! It's a case of national security after all, hahahaha.As for working for PMDG? I would turn them down if I were unemployed and homeless to tell you the truth. Last thing I would want is to be a moderator and have to hold back from voicing my opinion :(

Dan Prunier

******* Christ, I was trying to explain my reasons to you. If you think I'm trying to big note myself, go get knotted. And as an 'ex-army ranger', I thought you'd get it. **.Sorry in advance, mods.Regards, Chris D

Chris, I apologise. Seriously I do.I was trying to make light of the situation and be funny, but I guess I did that at your expense, and it was the wrong thing to do. I am no different than any other man on this earth, that is fact numero uno. I applaud anyones efforts that (ever) go out of their way to help a stranger, there is nothing anyone could ever say bad about that. Just like I missed your point I think you may have missed mine. To say I don't have an ego really isn't true, of course I do to a point I guess. I make mistakes like everyone else and in no way EVER think I'm better than anyone.One thing I honestly hate, or should say that makes me uncomfortable, is when someone praises a post I made or says "Dans the man" or anything like that because for one I don't do it for that reason and two hate the way I know that may make someone else feel. Sometimes I get lucky and come up with the right answer, that may be because if theres a bug in a program to have, I will be the one to most likely get it first. I'm glad I can help, as I am sure you are too. I spend more time on here than some but doesn't mean my help is any different than anyone elses that answers once a week or month.One thing I've tried to do several times is to remind others theres a person behind their screen name and someone that has much better things to do with their time than read through countless posts. If someone misses the rules, people should remain courteous when (and if) pointing it out to them. Most people don't go out of their way to miss a post that answers their questions, or break a rule for that matter, then again, some do. There are many here that flaunt it actually. Every now and then I will say something to them, but for the most part ignore it believe it or not. I know my place or at least I try to always keep that fresh. This brings me to my next point.I've done support for a good part of my life up to my last job where I was system administrator for 300+ companies (tied to my old company, not my own). BUT, more so I have had to be supported for anything from my cable service to my cell phone to my FSX addons. I have worked with hundreds of people that have gone out of there way to be a jerk to someone just because they didn't want the call, or in forums you see this as someone seeing a duplicate post and making it their responcibility to answer them even when they're just ganna go for their throat. There are a ton of developers in the FS arena that are worst than any other company representitive that I have ever seen in my life. Some of the things these people say to their customer base litterally drops my jaw to the floor. If I thought PMDG wouldn't delete it I would start a topic just for voicing frustrations and examples of this. I have been told to RTFM by devs and mods, talked at IN ALL CAPS by devs/mods just because my question was somewhere in their forum and they already answered it, etc... etc... The golden rule I try my best to adhere to is treat people like you want to be treated. This forum seems to be different than any other. I have about 100 logins in forums, most having nothing to do with FS. I truly believe it is the name thing that helps people stay down to earth. If it was just to sign first names I bet my life you would then see discussions about that, there is no doubt (sorry I realize I'm starting to ramble again, but have nothing else to do at the moment so here comes some more).Developers and moderators need to take vacations from the forum, as do many of us. I'm no different and most days at one point or the other need to calm myself down like I'm doing right now. In my posts above I was trying to get to a point. I saw that it started to look like I was attacking you personally and mentioned that it wasn't what I was really trying to do. It wasn't. Just like I stated above people (and me to, I'm a people :() can be focused on a point, their point, and things can go south. Sometimes I too read words and see it as just words, and react and comment based on the actual arguement or debate at hand, and if you new me in real life, boy do I love a good debate. It's hard not to get into that type of tunnel vision for mods, devs and us. This isn't a matter of me needing a break from the forums, but just a topic I deal with and have dealt with for eons.Being in support and needing the customers to provide certain things, or even dealing with my family and teaching them computers the #1 topic (especially lately) has been identity theft or my mother won't use her credit card on line or whatever the case may be. Me and my sister actually got into a pretty heated debate just 2 days ago because of something very similar. My point? I guess I too am just burnt out on this topic and am allowing everything I have already told others (in real life) as well as here in the forums to fall on one individual to take all the heat. I got an email from my mother a couple weeks ago about putting microchips in babies, haha. I get forwards from her on a daily basis about how unsafe things are, from identities to tampons having aspestos,,, you know the types I'm sure when someone just starts learning the computer and starts dwelling on all the crap out their on the net.Ok, this is what eating paint chips as a kid does to you I guess (just proof read and the point is nowhere in site :( )... Time to close.I am no different or any better than anyone here or out there and don't mean to come across that way, again I'm sorry. There just doesn't need to be so much hype about names. There's no need for it. I know there are nut cases out there, heck I think quite often that I am one myself. My name is there for the whole world to see, I'm on Myspace, facespace, never found time for twitter and don't care for any of them any more, but I'm out there, my profile open to EVERYONE. My email address is in my profile here and on all my websites. Please (not you Chris) STEAL my identity, if your a nut job, come kill me (again not you Chris). Believe it or not, despite popular belief, I try not to sweat the small stuff, and to me "the small stuff" includes this name game we all seem to be involved with now.Perhaps some people just like a good debate. I actually will take the opposite side many times in a debate just to help bring out valid points on both ends, maybe that's what some are doing here, but it doesn't seem that way to me. Everyone has their own beliefs, but again, this isn't the place for that. If I were at your house I would follow your rules and vice versa. It really is no different than that in my eyes. So, I welcome anyone to steal my name, track me down, hunt me stalk me (That would be cool, I think), or do whatever they want, just be sure to bring bagged lunches and lanterns cuz it's ganna take all night :wink:Woohoo done! Finished before it got locked!!!,,, although now I realize I should have made my point a bit earlier.

Dan Prunier

Chris, I apologise. Seriously I do.BRB with more on this...
Apology accepted. And you're right, I have PMed the mods and will gracefully refrain from posting in here anymore.Regards, Chris D

Back to the topic, I must say that I abide to this rule exclusively out of respect for pmdg team. Otherwise I am strongly against it. I browse this forum very often from my office (when the workload is not high) and I hate the fact that my boss can see post signed with my name during working hours (by monitoring with GateKeeper or connecting thru VNC.)If the reason for the rule is to validate customers, I would be happier to sign with my order number if I need help or support. If the reason is „increasing the intimacy on the forum,“ how come no other forum is interested in having so „intimate“ members? Internet is simply no place for intimacy; it may have very bad consequences. People can get very friendly even if addressing each other by nicknames.(Anyway, I am not on the FBI or Interpol list so here it goes:)Daniel Sagner

As does my girlfriend
+1

Louis Vallance | P3D v4.5 (no shaders) | i9-9900K | 32GB | RTX 2080

According to Google, I am a famous London fashion designer, a mathematicion, a musician, a medal of honour winner, a boxer, an actor, and my personal favourite, I directed Woody Woodpecker cartoons! "Ha-ha-ha-HAA-ha!"

If I put my name in it brings up stuff about me and my family which is kinda scary. Whats even worse is if I put my girlfriends name in it lists her address on one of the links!! #####, zero privacy..

Rob Prest

Hmmm, I found out something I didn't know. There is a Prunier AB LFYR.It goes to show you how much people actually spend googling even their own name.@Rob, that's a little creapy. If you want me to look into PM me her name, haha totally kidding :(

Dan Prunier