Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

PMDG 737 NGX: PMDG's attitude toward realism

That is interesting about the transient quirks being modeled. Sounds like it is going to be fun kind of like another developer that models quirks and such in their birds. You learn to watch that certain engine, or that certain system that you know tends to give you trouble from time to time. Guess this means we will need to comb the documentation with more care than normal to see what we can find. I do not think it is a lack of picking it up from the documentation though Robert.. I think it is a lack of reading the documentation altogether. That is just my opinion though.

These are usually called teasers. Go to Game Trailers and you´ll see that a whole industry behave like that. For people who think NGX is taking too much time, try waiting for Duke Nukem Forever, or Gran Turismo 5!
Isn't Duke Nukem Forever coming out right after the NGX?? I've had my credit card ready to buy that thing......well......Forever!!Hmmm... I guess I'll just have to use my credit card for the NGX instead!-m@

I am all for having these "quirks" modeled in the aircraft, isn't that what simulation is all about? I learned so much about the intricacies of operating a high performance prop with the JS4100, with it's tendency to overheat if the RPM is not attended to appropriately, and the complex stop lock procedures. Such details keep you on your toes like in RL, and one can't help but respect the discipline and knowledge that is required to operate jets and props.I would love to see such realistic procedures covered in the NGX, but to also allow the user to choose such features that make them comfortable. A good example is the LevelD 767, with realism options that enable the user to have the aircraft not automatically tune the ILS, to make sure all autopilots are enabled for autoland, IRS drift etc. I do not doubt that PMDG will have these in the NGX, but perhaps they can surprise us and add more options that die hard fanatics would appreciate in an effort to make things more challenging. Perhaps an option to have the engine startup fail if the fuel levers are not enabled at the correct time, or tire bursts on very hard landings.

Isn't Duke Nukem Forever coming out right after the NGX?? I've had my credit card ready to buy that thing......well......Forever!!
I am 100% sure we will release LONG before Duke Nukem Forever lol... Even with Gearbox taking that over, it's still gonna be end of 2011 probably.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Captains-Since we've been having a conversation about "diving deep into the details" I thought it might be rewarding for those of you who "dive deep into the threads" if we tossed a few full cockpit images down here...We have a full Virtual Cockpit preview thread in the works- but here is just a sample of what you'll be getting in the NGX.Notice the depth of color and texture detail in this VC. With the resources we have throughout the industry- we've been able to gain an unprecedented level of support to help make this simulation as visually appealing as it is deep.Some of my favorite details- (things that make this "feel" like an airplane) are the fingertip oil and surface wearing that is visible on the "six pack" annunciators next to the Caution/Fire lights. You can tell that other crews have been flying and working this cockpit, because traces of the use and wear are evident all over the flight deck....Here is a close-up view of the control stand. Almost looks like you can reach in an touch those levers, doesn't it? Looks at the edges of the seat cushions... the corners of the displays, the FMS keypads... We are pretty happy with the level of detail you are getting- and we haven't put nearly the dent in FPS performance that we had feared. It is still running significantly better than the MD-11...DISCLAIMER: These images are taken from an in-development product. Some things displayed on the screen are incorrect because they aren't complete, or because we have things turned on for trouble-shooting and completion... (Okay- that makes 3 updates in 6 weeks... so I'm averaging once every other week... :( )

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I am all for having these "quirks" modeled in the aircraft, isn't that what simulation is all about? I learned so much about the intricacies of operating a high performance prop with the JS4100, with it's tendency to overheat if the RPM is not attended to appropriately, and the complex stop lock procedures. Such details keep you on your toes like in RL, and one can't help but respect the discipline and knowledge that is required to operate jets and props.I would love to see such realistic procedures covered in the NGX, but to also allow the user to choose such features that make them comfortable. A good example is the LevelD 767, with realism options that enable the user to have the aircraft not automatically tune the ILS, to make sure all autopilots are enabled for autoland, IRS drift etc. I do not doubt that PMDG will have these in the NGX, but perhaps they can surprise us and add more options that die hard fanatics would appreciate in an effort to make things more challenging. Perhaps an option to have the engine startup fail if the fuel levers are not enabled at the correct time, or tire bursts on very hard landings.
I have burned up quite a few engines on the MD-11 by not switching the fuel on at the correct time.. Not to mention if you turn on the random failures module that can lead to a fun time. Especially when stuff starts escalating if you let it go. Just have to put in a very high number of failures, and a short amount of time span for it all to happen in. Or can put a long time in there and wait and see what happens if anything at all. Although it would be cool to see stuff added like the tires bursting on landing, but I think the FSX engine has that one covered when it crashes your bird as you slam into the deck. :biggrin:EDIT: Dont really have much to say to those shots other than oh my god.. :( Edited by Roadburner426

SNAP! I saw this coming. Yes!!!! Man my college grade is might plummet...
Looks like it already is haha!

SNAP! I saw this coming. Yes!!!! Man my college grade is might plummet...
Taylor-PMDG will not be responsible for having you fail out of school. Please let us know when you have graduated and we will release the product at that time. :( (For anyone who takes this seriously: I'm joking... Except for you, Taylor... get back to the books!)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

That shot of the throttle levers and everything around them is just ... wow. Looking great.

Taylor-PMDG will not be responsible for having you fail out of school. Please let us know when you have graduated and we will release the product at that time. :( (For anyone who takes this seriously: I'm joking... Except for you, Taylor... get back to the books!)
HAHA! Gotta love the interruptions that come from Flight Sim; Too bad FSX can't get you a PPL.

:( I am a freshman too. That won't make any one mad

UA334: "LaGuardia Tower, Mayday Mayday Mayday - Our PIC just collapsed from shock after seeing some full flight deck images of the 737NG."[Pause]AA752: "Yours too?"

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

UA334: "LaGuardia Tower, Mayday Mayday Mayday - Our PIC just collapsed from shock after seeing some full flight deck images of the 737NG."[Pause]AA752: "Yours too?"
Haha, Nicely said.