Sign in to follow this  
Guest mrblutarsky

autogen Kurt's tip, nice one...

Hi,In another thread here Kurt posted a great autogen tip to disable new autogen objects and get autogen like FS2002, thanks Kurt:**********************FS2004 has additional types of autogen. You have the regular autogen that is mostly assigned by the .agn files like FS2002. In addition you have autogen that is assigned in the terrain.cfg file, bridges, high tension towers, highway signs, etc. and these can be disabled individually in the terrain.cfg. They can also be completely disabled by changing this line in your FS9.cfg under the GRAPHICS SECTION.TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_OBJECTS=0 0=off/1=onAnother type of autogen is assigned by the default.xml file in the Autogen folder. This is where the fast food buildings and other types of new autogen objects are added. The default.xml file can be edited to get rid of certain types of objects, you can also disable this type of autogen on a texture by texture basis with the annotator tool included in the FS2K2 autogen SDK. You can also disable all of these types of additional objects by renaming the default.xml todefault.xml.BAK.***********************I did it here (the vector_objects=0) and the default.xnl.bak) and the performance is better.I'd like share another test I did, I set the FPS slider to unlimited and set the Vertical Sync in windows video properties to Always ON and the sim is running a lot smoother here, nice turns :)I know many people will say it is a bad idea to set FPS to Unlimited, but visually it is better here, so I'll leave it in this way for now. Looks like FS is not trying to lock the FPS everytime *what can cause stutters.Ulisses

Are you guys talking about the vertical sync in the video card display properties. I have an ATI card so I assume you look in the ATI display settings . Or is this some other setting,can't actually find a windows display properties in my system. XP Thanks Chris

I5 13600KF 5.1GHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 12G| | MSI Z690 Tomahawk DDR4 WiFi MB | M.2 NVMe SSD"s 2X1TB/2X2TB / HDD's 3X4TB and 1X8TB | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 64 Pro 

Does this completely eliminate the accumulation of autogen objects that causes the slowdown after flying for a while?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Hi,Not sure if eliminate the autogen accumulation, but it is smoother here in this way, now I can use the autogen at normal without affecting the FPS.My system: Athlon XP2400+, 1gb RAM, ATI 9800pro.Ulisses

Guest 747drvr

Is there a way to do this with the scenery density..I love the airbridges but the trucks etc eat up fps very fast.

Read this from Kurt:Another type of autogen is assigned by the default.xml file in the Autogen folder. This is where the fast food buildings and other types of new autogen objects are added. The default.xml file can be edited to get rid of certain types of objects, you can also disable this type of autogen on a texture by texture basis with the annotator tool included in the FS2K2 autogen SDK.Ulisses

For even faster performance and realism just turn off autogen slider to none. That way you improve perfomance and you don't get any of that cartoonish looking autogen. Some of the ground textures are so darn good, almost photorealistic from above with the right haze that adding autogen just ruins it. I think autogen is fine for people who are into cropdusting and low level flying and while parked at an airport but if you you plan on flying 5000ft or above, I really see no reason to turn it on except to slow down the sim. Just my opinion. Autogen off=realism, (almost) photorealistic terrain, autogen on=cartoonish eyecandy that turns FS into a GAME.Just my humble opinion. Tim

I agree,Many autogen looks like Nintendo games :)But some autogen helps while in the airport.Ulisses

I totally disagree, the autogen is what makes the sim for me. I thought the autogen buildings and textures in Fs2002 were very blah and colorless, then again, I am a VFR flyer and rarely go higher than 10K, so I rely on seeing the "objects" on the ground.The new autogen eliminates me having to import 3rd party scenery which is an even bigger FPS hit most of the time.Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest mrblutarsky

Actually, the new Socal megascenery gives me much better frame rates than the default MSFS scenery.

What scenery you are using for Socal ??? link ???I found that autogen and traffic can kill the flight smoothness in FS2004, these autogen settings really helps FS2004 killing the new FS2004 autogen and rendering like FS2002, but traffic is another history. Everytime I set the traffic slider to 0, the flight is a lot smoother, the turns are nice, etc....maybe traffic calls much CPU while processing...thanks,Ulisses

What you need to do is get rid of FS's default traffic and go to http://projectai.flight1.net/ and install some of these which are very frame rate freindly. FS's default traffic will eat up the FPS but with PAI's packages installed I'm able to have traffic at 80% or higher and no big frame rate hit. Just make sure you delete the FS traffic file (make a back up). Check it out!Tim

Good, how about Ultimate traffic ??Where is the traffic file located ?Thanks,Ulisses