Sign in to follow this  

how do real world airlines determine there destination

I simulate a one man VA, more like a simulated air charter/taxi company.what i am curious about is what determines which airports you service?uh.. the thing that got me going on this is, i saw a route map from ohh... i think it was ...nope dont' remember which airline, i know is was a small off beat one that i found surfin' the net and i noticed they stop at one city and there is lets say another city oh.. 20-30 miles away, same size, etc. why one over the other?thanksciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Guest Lizardo

Several reasons, one may be that the other airports are already serviced. 2ndly are "landing fees"..they vary considerably. (as a forinstance, it's considerably less $ to fly out of Lousville Intl than it is Cincinnati Intl simply for the landing fees.) A poor 3rd is that he has established a "market" from/between those airports of "regular" customers.

thanks for the response, thats correct i forgot about those landing fees, ok greatciao!Brian S

Ciao!

In the US it goes further than just landing fees.To start-up service in a new airport there exists gate-space issues, staff, maintenance, loads and equipment availability both in ground service equipment and pulling a plane off another route/schedule. You can get some other carrier to service you but it cost $$$$$.Also there is some politics and slot considerations into capacity controlled airports, if you are flying into your "hub" will the additional flight upset the balance there. At one time the government gave slots to major airports tied to cities as incentives to maintain service to smaller cities.If you follow at some websites they have the drops/adds listed of some city pairs.If you want to play a rather nifty card game based on airline economics pick up "Airline 1" and "Airline 2" by Avalanche Games. It isn't a flying game but kinda fun airline game. Timothy