Sign in to follow this  
Guest macman4

Upgrading an TNT2 pro

Guest macman4

card.I have HP AMD1300 with an TNT2 pro 32MB sdram 4X AGP. Will i see a good improvment when if upgrade to another card. I'm looking at an ATI 9600 Pro 128 MB AGP,at CompUSA for $99. Or an GeForce 5600 256 MB DDR AGP at Best Buy for $149.These cards are both 8X.My old card is 4X,will that matter? Or any other suggestions. I don't want to put more than $150 into a card. My pc is 3 years old and will replace within the year.Right noe I fly FS2002 on the high settings at about 12-14 FPS. thanks for any info Bob

Guest fly4beer

4x or 8x won't make alot of difference coz I doubt your mainboard supports it. Anyhow even if it would support it, this would be a minimal increase. look at it like a marketing thingie for the time beeing. Upgrading to a middle of line card would make a difference even with your cpu, but this cpu is at the bottom limit for "survival" in fs9.Now, what I would consider is if you want to buy the new pc later on with a card or without. I doubt it makes sense to spend dosh for a middle of line card now if you get one with the pc then. just a thoughtLucien

Guest daveg4otu

A 128 or 256 mb graphics card is going to make a big difference in my opinion.It can always be used later in an upgraded machine.I would disagree with Lucien that your "cpu is at the bottom limit for "survival" in fs9." A couple of weeks ago,as an experiment I installed FS9 on an old 700mhz AMD/MS663Ultra PC that I keep for my grand daughters to play on.The only thing the machine has going for it is a ATI Radeon 9000 128mb graphics card.It has 256 mb SDRAM.The sim runs fine on it turning in frame rates of 15 - 23 most of the time(full screen- default settings but res at 1024) .Occasional drops to 10 in complex areas.I'm sure it's the video card that responsible for the performance.Dave

Guest daveg4otu

Previous post somehow got duplicated here???Dave

Hi Macman,If you can find one, go with an ATI 9500 Pro instead. Also, you might consider upgrading your CPU. How much RAM do you have on your mobo?Cloud9

Guest macman4

I have 512MB of ram.I saw a ATI 9500 Pro at Best Buy .Don't remember what the price was. What kind of CPU do you suggest,How much?

I'm not familiar with HP PC's, but you should get at least an Athlon 1800+ if your mobo can take it. You'll need to contact HP for more information.A home built system gives you the greatest flexibility.Cloud9