Sign in to follow this  
SteveLewis

FS2004 autogen/framerate problem WORKAROUND!!!!

Guest 747drvr

yes, but what is it Im running the program "virgin" and its still unflyable.

Guest kilo_sierra17

Well I got some improvment, went from around 14 FPS around YVR with a POSKY 747-400, to about 17 FPS. I then turned autogen up to Normal and they went down to about 13 FPS, so I think it will stay on Sparse.

Guest dcc

no improvement for me either :-( still have to fly with autogen at lowest 1.6 GHz P4 512MB GF3 Ti200 64MB WinXP 1024x738x32- dcc

Guest 747drvr

20fps res is 800X600 16 AA= none Anos=4 but changed it to none same crappy performance

Worked for me. Kept 'TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_OBJECTS' switch on because I find the bridges do add to the scenery. Renamed 'default.xml' to 'default.xml.bak' and noticed a small framerate increase flying circuits at Boeing Field. While framerates only increased by maybe one, this is significant when, like me, you are running between 12-15fps with moderate weather over urban areas.Personally, I never even noticed the burger joints and service stations until I took the Robinson Helicopter for a spin and landed downtown. This is after one month of flying mostly GA aircraft bwetween 2000 and 5000 feet around Vancouver, BC with Russell Dirks Fraser Valley Landclass installedI also keep my autogen density at sparse but have tweaked the terrain.cfg file to show bridges and powerpoles at the sparse setting (thanks Kurt)It's been a bumpy road, but after some upgrades (memory, cpu and video card) totalling $200, installing Chris Willis' clouds, the frame rate friendly autogen and runway textures, I am finally doing some real flying on this thing and enjoying it very much.Thanks you fellow simnuts out there for answering my questions and keep those tweaks coming. Daniel, CYCWAMD Duron 1.3ghz512MB pc133 ramGeforce FX5200 128mb videoWin ME

Guest JonP01

Speaking of autogen, I found another issue over the last 4 days that I've reported to MS. The autogen slider influences whether or not certain ground objects in third party non-autogen sceneries will display or not. As far as I'm cocnerned, autogen is autogen and proper hand-placed scenery is proper hand placed scenery. The slider for one should not influence each other. I wonder if this one was picked up before the sim shipped, or whether it is one of those "intended" features. If it is by design, I'd love to hear the MS's reasoning behind that one.

Guest kilo_sierra17

When you mean tweaked the .cfg file to display bridges, does that mean the 'TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_OBJECTS'?

Guest product

This tweak worked for me, running an ATI 9700. Seems like these autogen objects had some problem being "released" from memory even when you fly a great distance from them.Well we all knew fast food was bad for us:-)Joel

Guest 747drvr

ok, OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home EditionVersion 5.1.2600 Build 2600OS Manufacturer Microsoft CorporationSystem Name ####System Manufacturer vpr Matrix, Inc.System Model 253RSystem Type X86-based PCProcessor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2533 MhzBIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. BT84510A.31T.0005.P04.0206181600, 6/18/2002SMBIOS Version 2.3Windows Directory C:WINDOWSSystem Directory C:WINDOWSSystem32Boot Device DeviceHarddiskVolume1Locale United StatesHardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148)"User Name ###############Time Zone US Eastern Standard TimeTotal Physical Memory 1,024.00 MBAvailable Physical Memory 752.07 MBTotal Virtual Memory 2.41 GBAvailable Virtual Memory 2.01 GBPage File Space 1.41 GBPage File C:pagefile.sysAll this and a GeforceTi 4200 4x agp with 45.23 drivers oh, and Sound blaster live 5.1 gamer

Guest jabberthecat

I had a look at the default.xml and would like to keep the Ruralclasses because I like the barns, etc.Is there a way to edit the .xml and save it without actually having a web page software?If I edit in wordpad I can only save as .txtThanks,Myles

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi,I search google and found a program called 'Cooktop'. I checked it out. First, when I started up the program my firewall(Nortons Personal Firewall 2003) said the program was attempting to listen for connections from other computers. I just told my firewall to block that. I always have Norton Anti-virus Automatic Program watch running and didn't get anything from installing the program. But after what happened, I decided to run a scan on the folder where Cooktop was installed to. No report of a virus or trojan. So, I am just blocking it from listening for a connection. Now, I used the 'Open' icon below the 'File Edit.. ect' menu, opened the 'default.xml file then made a couple small changes. When I closed the file it didn't ask me if I wanted to save the changes. So, I clicked on menu item 'File' and then it had my 'default.xml' file as a recently opened file. So I went down to it and clicked on it and it gave me some error about the file being encoded in UTF-16 and that Cooktop doesn't support that. So, I used the 'Open' icon again and browsed to the file and opened it that way again. The edits I had done earlier were there. Now, I don't know anything about XML files or editing them, but since my edit were there, it seemed to work. I don't know why the program wants to listen for open connections. But like I said, I just let my firewall block it and go on my merry way. Ok, well, I just decided to look at the options for the program and from what I see in the options it would seem the program is 'web aware'. Lastly, the program is freeware and looks decent enough.http://www.xmlcooktop.com/Cheers,Jim

Chris, The freeze on arrival has happened every time except once: when I had autogen set to NONE. I changed the FS9.cfg file per JimmiG's suggestion and set the Autogen back to Normal and flew back to Cleveland. That's where the freeze occurred. I've downloaded RamIdle to manage my RAM and I use Register Clean Pro to insure everything is up to snuff. I also defragged just day before yesterday. Could it be something in my System.ini file? I just looked and under {VCACHE} was the following: MinFileCache=0 MaxFileCache=128 CHUNKSIZE=16 I erased these. I'll try a quick flight and see what happens.

Guest Kurt

Wordpad works fine, do not do a Save As. Either just click Save or use the X in the upper right corner of the window to close and it should ask if you want to save changes, choose yes or no. Kurt M