Sign in to follow this  
garydpoole

Suitable 8800GTX Replacement Advice

Hi AllI'm thinking about a graphics card upgrade to my current 8800GTX.I have a good system at the moment that comfortably runs most sliders to right at approx 27fps.However, I throttle this back to 20fps to give the CPU some breathing space for other tasks. This generally works really well and gives a very smooth simming experience with no FPS drops, micro-stutters etc.However, there's one issue that's preventing me from having FS9 Nirvana. Whilst flying overphoto-realistic scenery such as Aerosofts's Mallorca X, I experience ground texture tiles that simply refuse to sharpen, but remain blurry. Interestingly, if I re-fly the flight, it'sthe same tiles that do this. I can generally mitigate the problem by either pausingthe sim (and waiting up to 20 or so seconds) or forcing a texture reload.When not flying over photo-realistic scenery, I use UT and GE Pro and apart from FS9's propensity for blurries at high altitude, have no other issues.Really, my question is does this sound like a GPU issue? Using TH2Go, I'm running at a resolutionof 3840x1024, so the 8800GTX is being worked pretty hard. Btw, overclocking the CPU to 4GHz made absolutely no differenceI've tentatively started looking at the Gigabyte GTx460 OC as a replacement, but wanted to gaugeopinions on this upgrade path or the actual problem itself.Any help or advice much appreciatedGary

The CPU is being bottlenecked by that old card, as justin said a GTX460 looks good!

Hi Gary,I replaced my 8800GTX (awesome old card), with a GTX260 and its better than the 8800gtx. So as a reference the 260 will be a bit better than your old card and very cheap these days, but....definately consider the bottleneck issue and get the best thing you can afford, obviously :biggrin: David.