Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

TrackIR 4 and FSX (no connection)

Hey Mike: Here's what I have in WinSxS:-x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_none_dd92b94d8a196297(version 10.0.60905.0 (for RTM))x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61242.0_none_e079b46b85043c20(version 10.0.61355.0 (for SP1))x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61259.0_none_55f5ecdc14f60568(version 10.0.61637.0 (for the Expansion Pack)I can't find much more that's useful for this dll, Mike. It's totally strange that it works fine with FS9. Personally I would refer back to Vince at NP, as it's their software that's having the issue. It would also be good if some of the more knowledgeable Avsim experts/devs would chip in on this, as I'm all clue'd out. :(
Hi Paul,Hang in there, my friend, I'm determined not to give up on this one just yet!Yes, your 3 folders and content match mine exactly.Before I continue, I should point out that FS9 uses FSUIPC to connect with TrackIR and not SimConnect.Now, here's what I've done so far:1. Downloaded SDK SP1a and SP2 from Microsoft.2. SDK RTM is already installed.3. Installed SDK SP1a (no problems) and I found there were now 2x SimConnect.msi files4. Installed SDK SP2 (again no problems) and now there are 3x SimConnect.msi files in the SDK installation5. I deleted the 3x SimConnect folders under WinSxS6. Installed RTM, SP1 and SP2 SimConnect.msi in sequence and the 3 lines under WinSxS reappeared and confirmed to be the same in every respect with the original folders.7. I then checked the listing in Add or Remove Programs:8. I ran ASE and then FSX and finally ADE9X Environment Checker:As you can see, all is well (ignore the references to ADE - refers to Jon Masterson's Airport Design Editor which isn't installed).9. I confirmed that TrackIR is still working (using FSUIPC) with FS9, and it is.However, the situation remains the same as far as TrackIR and FSX are concerned - no connection :( So, I feel I have now verified that this connection issue with TrackIR is not being caused by a bad installation of SimConnect.I think I need to be looking elsewhere for an answer. I recall that there are other files like SimConnect.xml and SimConnect.ini. The latter is in the My Documents\Flight Simulator X files folder. Are these installed by TrackIR? If this is the case then perhaps I need to now consider reinstalling TrackIR to refresh such files. At one point near the end of the troubleshoot, Vincent did ask me to search for SimConnect.xml and check that the following lines were present:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?><SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0"> <Descr>SimConnect</Descr> <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename> <Disabled>False</Disabled<SimConnect.Comm> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Protocol>Auto</Protocol> <Scope>local</Scope> <Address></Address> <MaxClients>64</MaxClients> <Port></Port> <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize> <DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle></SimConnect.Comm>Having done a search, I can only find 3 instances of SimConnect.xml in the following folders:D:\Program Files\HiFi\ASA\SimConnectFiles D:\Program Files\HiFi\XEngine\SimConnectFilesD:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\configShould there be others? The ASA file contains the following lines:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?><SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0"> <Descr>SimConnect</Descr> <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <SimConnect.Comm> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol> <Scope>global</Scope> <Address>myserveraddress</Address> <MaxClients>64</MaxClients> <Port>500</Port> <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize> <DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle> </SimConnect.Comm> <SimConnect.Comm> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Protocol>Auto</Protocol> <Scope>local</Scope> </SimConnect.Comm></SimBase.Document>AND, the SDK file contains:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?><SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0"> <Descr>SimConnect</Descr> <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <SimConnect.Comm> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol> <Scope>global</Scope> <Address>myserveraddress</Address> <MaxClients>64</MaxClients> <Port>500</Port> <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize> <DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle> </SimConnect.Comm> <SimConnect.Comm> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Protocol>Auto</Protocol> <Scope>local</Scope> </SimConnect.Comm></SimBase.Document>In passing I noted the presence of SimConnect.cfg as well as .ini files.More food for further thought.Regards,Mike

Hey Mike: Here's what I have in WinSxS:-x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_none_dd92b94d8a196297(version 10.0.60905.0 (for RTM))x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61242.0_none_e079b46b85043c20(version 10.0.61355.0 (for SP1))x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61259.0_none_55f5ecdc14f60568(version 10.0.61637.0 (for the Expansion Pack)I can't find much more that's useful for this dll, Mike. It's totally strange that it works fine with FS9. Personally I would refer back to Vince at NP, as it's their software that's having the issue. It would also be good if some of the more knowledgeable Avsim experts/devs would chip in on this, as I'm all clue'd out. :(
Hi Paul,Hang in there, my friend, I'm determined not to give up on this one just yet!Yes, your 3 folders and content match mine exactly.Before I continue, I should point out that FS9 uses FSUIPC to connect with TrackIR and not SimConnect.Now, here's what I've done so far:1. Downloaded SDK SP1a and SP2 from Microsoft.2. SDK RTM is already installed.3. Installed SDK SP1a (no problems) and I found there were now 2x SimConnect.msi files4. Installed SDK SP2 (again no problems) and now there are 3x SimConnect.msi files in the SDK installation5. I deleted the 3x SimConnect folders under WinSxS6. Installed RTM, SP1 and SP2 SimConnect.msi in sequence and the 3 lines under WinSxS reappeared and confirmed to be the same in every respect with the original folders.7. I then checked the listing in Add or Remove Programs:8. I ran ASE and then FSX and finally ADE9X Environment Checker:As you can see, all is well (ignore the references to ADE - refers to Jon Masterson's Airport Design Editor which isn't installed).9. I confirmed that TrackIR is still working (using FSUIPC) with FS9, and it is.However, the situation remains the same as far as TrackIR and FSX are concerned - no connection :( So, I feel I have now verified that this connection issue with TrackIR is not being caused by a bad installation of SimConnect. Moreover, it now seems very unlikely that a repair install of FSX followed by the reapplication of SPs 1 and 2 would get me any further forward - just a lot of grief reinstalling and reconfiguring all my 3rd party stuff only to find I was no further forward.I think I need to be looking elsewhere for an answer. I recall that there are other files like SimConnect.xml and SimConnect.ini. The latter is in the My Documents\Flight Simulator X files folder. Are these installed by TrackIR? If this is the case then perhaps I need to now consider reinstalling TrackIR to refresh such files. At one point near the end of the troubleshoot, Vincent did ask me to search for SimConnect.xml and check that the following lines were present:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?><SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0"> <Descr>SimConnect</Descr> <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename> <Disabled>False</Disabled<SimConnect.Comm> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Protocol>Auto</Protocol> <Scope>local</Scope> <Address></Address> <MaxClients>64</MaxClients> <Port></Port> <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize> <DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle></SimConnect.Comm>Having done a search, I can only find 3 instances of SimConnect.xml in the following folders:D:\Program Files\HiFi\ASA\SimConnectFiles D:\Program Files\HiFi\XEngine\SimConnectFilesD:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\configShould there be others? The ASA file contains the following lines:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?><SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0"> <Descr>SimConnect</Descr> <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <SimConnect.Comm> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol> <Scope>global</Scope> <Address>myserveraddress</Address> <MaxClients>64</MaxClients> <Port>500</Port> <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize> <DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle> </SimConnect.Comm> <SimConnect.Comm> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Protocol>Auto</Protocol> <Scope>local</Scope> </SimConnect.Comm></SimBase.Document>AND, the SDK file contains:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?><SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0"> <Descr>SimConnect</Descr> <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <SimConnect.Comm> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol> <Scope>global</Scope> <Address>myserveraddress</Address> <MaxClients>64</MaxClients> <Port>500</Port> <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize> <DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle> </SimConnect.Comm> <SimConnect.Comm> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Protocol>Auto</Protocol> <Scope>local</Scope> </SimConnect.Comm></SimBase.Document>In passing I noted the presence of SimConnect.cfg as well as SimConnect.ini files.More food for further thought.Regards,Mike

"I think I need to be looking elsewhere for an answer. "I think so, too, Mike. You have what I have. My other "thought" was to suggest a different version of the TIR software. I purchased TIR4 a while ago, but I'm running version 5.0.300 build 6335. Perhaps here is a difference?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

"I think I need to be looking elsewhere for an answer. "I think so, too, Mike. You have what I have. My other "thought" was to suggest a different version of the TIR software. I purchased TIR4 a while ago, but I'm running version 5.0.300 build 6335. Perhaps here is a difference?
Hi Paul,Sorry about the double post - don't quite know how that happened.That's a possibility certainly worth exploring. Am I to understand that the version 5 software is compatible with TrackIR 4? I have been assuming that this was written with TrackIR 5 in mind. When I check for updates in the TrackIR 4 GUI it tells me that "The TrackIR software you are using is up to date!" so I didn't take it any further.Regards,Mike

Yep, it works fine. TIR3 to TIR4 doesn't go, but 4 to 5 does. Got nothing to lose...... :( :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Yep, it works fine. TIR3 to TIR4 doesn't go, but 4 to 5 does. Got nothing to lose...... :( :(
Hi Paul,Guess what? It Works!!!!!!!!!!Fantastic :( I'm now running TrackIR 5 (ver.5.0.300 build 6225).Installed no problem and I do believe both FS9 AND FSX are the better for it. Much smoother operation than before in FS9, no hit in performance in FSX ...............and no reinstallation/repair of FSX was necessary!! Perhaps the methodical reinstallation of SimConnect has done some good - it certainly was an interesting experience - but your suggestion to try installing TrackIR 5, in the end, proved to be the answer.Now, I would like someone to tell me what the TrackIR 5 software installation did exactly to restore the connection with FSX? I note there are 2 files in the TrackIR folder: simconnect.manifest and simconnectSP2.manifest and they appear to be identical with those files in the TrackIR folder. And what about this SimConnect.xml file that I am led to understand is necessary for the link with FSX to be successful - where is it?Thank you, Paul.In case you were wondering, what started this off was an announcement on the front page of AVSIM a week or two back which brought to our attention the Mountain Flying in Switzerland missions by Vertical Studios. These really are very enjoyable immersive experiences and I completed the first 2 missions with flying colours. I then purchased and installed mission 3 and it was at that point that I decided to try this final mission with TrackIR rather than the POV on my yolk and the rest, as they say, is now history.I'm a very happy chappy and should sleep well tonight.Regards,MikeEdit: I nearly forgot to say how very impressed I am with the version 5 GUI. It's a vast improvement and, once you get the hang of it (I confess I rarely take the time to read manuals), is very easy and intuitive in its conception and implementation. Well done NaturalPoint!

I'm a very happy chappy and should sleep well tonight.
Actually, Mike - BOTH of us will sleep well tonight! :(

Now, I would like someone to tell me what the TrackIR 5 software installation did exactly to restore the connection with FSX? I note there are 2 files in the TrackIR folder: simconnect.manifest and simconnectSP2.manifest and they appear to be identical with those files in the TrackIR folder. And what about this SimConnect.xml file that I am led to understand is necessary for the link with FSX to be successful - where is it?
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....Ugh, what's that? Bother, I knew I'd missed something:That should have read, "I note there are 2 files in the TrackIR 5 folder: simconnect.manifest and simconnectSP2.manifest and they appear to be identical with those files in the TrackIR 4 folder." :( Hmm, that's better.....Yaaaawwwwwwn.....zzzzzzzzZNOREzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzSNOREzzzzzzz :(