Sign in to follow this  
Nandan Patel

REX and Active Sky together

How is it possible to run AS6.5 and REX together? Would this work?:-Install REX textures for everything, clouds, runways, water etcTHEN-Install AS6.5 textures from "active sky graphics"Is this how it is done, or do you guys have some other way of doing this? Sorry, there are lots of threads but I just want a straight forward answer...

Straight forward: You can do what you suggest, but most of the textures will be redundant, but yes, it will "work". My suggestion based on my personal experience: Don't use the Active Sky textures. Just use REX textures, but definitely use the AS 6.5 weather engine.

Straight forward: You can do what you suggest, but most of the textures will be redundant, but yes, it will "work". My suggestion based on my personal experience: Don't use the Active Sky textures. Just use REX textures, but definitely use the AS 6.5 weather engine.
How does that work? So REX textures reinstall them, then just run the AS6.5 weather engine...My system is: Pentium 4 -3Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 256mb Graphics cardSo don't think REX would run to it's full potential on my computer huh...

Yes, install the REX textures you want and then run Active Sky for your weather engine. Your system should run REX better than either Active Sky's textures or the built in ones, especially the REX clouds as they are better engineered using newer technology (REX is only a year old, AS V6,5 is over 5 years old). But if you already own both packages I would try it both ways to see how either one performs on your particular system.

How does that work? So REX textures reinstall them, then just run the AS6.5 weather engine...My system is: Pentium 4 -3Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 256mb Graphics cardSo don't think REX would run to it's full potential on my computer huh...
First go into Active Sky 6.5 and deactivate the button that LOADs texture bottom right.You will still select all the weather components. I also have GroundPro so you have to check the switch in Activesky for that. always start Activesky first and then go into Rex make sure you have check the buttons that representing the load of textures only and nothing to do with the weather part of Rex. you still have to download the weather button after chossing the flight planner tab. Load or let it pick a flight plan then load textures. If you load water textures it will take twice as long. once the textures are load and it says OK. CLOSE REX. DONOT leave it running. Active Sky will take over the REX textures in the SIM. You only have to set up ACTive sky buttons once but REX everyflight. I use these two with other programs everytime I fly.Carl Perry 7+year sim pilot

First go into Active Sky 6.5 and deactivate the button that LOADs texture bottom right.You will still select all the weather components. I also have GroundPro so you have to check the switch in Activesky for that. always start Activesky first and then go into Rex make sure you have check the buttons that representing the load of textures only and nothing to do with the weather part of Rex. you still have to download the weather button after chossing the flight planner tab. Load or let it pick a flight plan then load textures. If you load water textures it will take twice as long. once the textures are load and it says OK. CLOSE REX. DONOT leave it running. Active Sky will take over the REX textures in the SIM. You only have to set up ACTive sky buttons once but REX everyflight. I use these two with other programs everytime I fly.Carl Perry 7+year sim pilot
Wow, that seems like a lot of work, changing REX each flight, I used to have Real Environment Pro, so was only able to see 1 type of textures for everywhere i went, so having only 1 set of textures for REX for whole world won't be too bad for me (atleast I won't have to change it each time)So REX texture installs then just AS6.5 weather engine, sounds good. Do you think I could run REX HD clouds on my system? Or will it lag...etcHow can i use different textures for water etc if i have REX installed, if I want to in the future. Just install them after REX textures, will they overwrite the REX ones?

How can i use different textures for water etc if i have REX installed, if I want to in the future. Just install them after REX textures, will they overwrite the REX ones?
Yes, they will generally overwrite REX textures, ASSUMING they have the same name. I did that for a long time, but found that it really wasn't necessary, the REX textures were just about the best overall. BTW, I don't reinstall REX textures before every flight with no ill effects. If you're supposed to do that, I didn't realize it and have been flying perfectly happily ever since I bought them and have never noticed a problem.

Make sure if you update your textures with REX before every flight you decrease your time between defrags. You will build up fragmented files quicker. This is why I fly with the same texture set for a while instead of constantly swapping out textures.

Eric 

Are the AS textures better than REX ones? Also, doesn't REX only let you install one type of clouds textures etc? So if it is a bad, grey sky, with raining weather in real life, but you have blue bright sky textures installed with REX, will it show grey skies or a bright blue sky with rain? That's why i think AS would be better right? Does AS install textures according to the weather? Like using "weather infulenced" in "Active Sky graphics". That's why i'm confused...I believe FS9 can only install one type of textures, am i correct? So textures can't change with change in weather...Also, when I look over the side of the aircraft, wingview, the clouds change position, they stutter when i fly past. Is this normal?

Are the AS textures better than REX ones? Also, doesn't REX only let you install one type of clouds textures etc? So if it is a bad, grey sky, with raining weather in real life, but you have blue bright sky textures installed with REX, will it show grey skies or a bright blue sky with rain? That's why i think AS would be better right? Does AS install textures according to the weather? Like using "weather infulenced" in "Active Sky graphics". That's why i'm confused...I believe FS9 can only install one type of textures, am i correct? So textures can't change with change in weather...Also, when I look over the side of the aircraft, wingview, the clouds change position, they stutter when i fly past. Is this normal?
I install Rex Textures before every flight because I keep getting amazed with the variations REX has. I continue to find DIFFERENT skys almost every flight(not dealing with rain clouds, they are very simuliar) There are so many combinations of my REX and Ground Pro textures it is out of this world. I have seen triple cloud layers with different kinds of clouds at different altitudes. Some flights my start off looking the same but once Active sky really kicks in (my delay settings on upload and control) you will experience such real life type of weather changes and different looks. It is worth the 10 minutes or more to download Rex everytime. Look at it as preflight pilot briefing before boarding the plane like real pilots do.Carl Perry 7+year Sim pilot

But you don't HAVE to do that for REX textures. In fact, it's not even recommended. To the uninitiated, your original post gave that impression which may turn some people off (see the OPs response to your direction). Raised%20Eyebrow.gif

But you don't HAVE to do that for REX textures. In fact, it's not even recommended. To the uninitiated, your original post gave that impression which may turn some people off (see the OPs response to your direction). Raised%20Eyebrow.gif
Yes. Sorry to misled anyone. I go between Zinertek water and Rex water textures depending on where I fly. I also vary my Ground Pro so I vary REX with the others to get endless combinations. If you are just a regular old flyer than you do not have to downlaod REX everytime. BUT if you want a new experience EVERYTIME you fly take the 10 mintues (shorter without REX water textures) it is worth it. Trust me. It starts to feel just like when real pilots fly when they think they know about a particular weather situation but find out is is slightly different from what they have experienced before. Is that not one of the reason why pilots are paid more for there flying experience espeacillay in different weather conditions. I am just try to get as close to being a pilot as I can. Too far along in life to drop job and family for a GA license when a fly heavy metal in the sim world almost every day. As you can see by my signature I have been at this sim flying for some time with as many addons as you can think. Carl Perry 7+year sim pilot.

How do you like "not install" some REX textures? Like Water textures or cloud textures? What if i want to use "zinertek" or freeware "ground environment pro" textures for water...

How do you like "not install" some REX textures? Like Water textures or cloud textures? What if i want to use "zinertek" or freeware "ground environment pro" textures for water...
In the option screen of REX you uncheck what you do not want installed. Save that settings and go to flight planner.Carl Perry 7+year sim pilot

I must say, I am tired just reading this thread and seeing what you guys do before each flight, lol.Like Trelane said, all you need to do is install from REX all the textures you want once, such as sky colors, cloud sets, etc. I would wager that the majority of people find one set of all these things and install them just ONCE, not before each flight. Personally, I like to use the most realistic sky colors I can find, granted they maybe boring, but generally the sky where I live doesn't have generate all the different colors that REX is capable of rendering. Then once you have selected all your sky, cloud and whatever other textures you want, install them and your done. Then start AS 6.5 for the weather and that's it. Installing new texture sets is going to really fragment your drive if you do it before each flight. Besides, even after you install a sky and cloud set from REX, when you have AS 6.5 weather running and you fly into a storm or overcast area, the sim is still going to give you gray, overcast looking skies, not bright white clouds.If I went through what you do, installing new texture sets before each flight, I would probably hardly ever use the sim just because of all the work to do prior to flying. Perhaps, you may want to install some new sky textures every once in a while, like every three months if you get bored with the same looking sky colors, but if I were you, I would run a defrag each time you install new sets to keep your HD running at peak condition.Just my .02.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator