Sign in to follow this  
Nandan Patel

REX and Active Sky together

What I want to know is how and the heck replacing default textures, even over and over again, causes a hard drive to become severely fragmented. If that is the case there are tens of thousands of ASv6.5, GE Pro, FE, REX users out there with hard drives that are ready to explode from fragmentation.And how long has ASv6.5 been replacing default textures? Since FS2004 was released. FE and GEP soon after that!Guess what? I install some type of textures from some program before each FS2004 session and it takes about 2 minutes and my hard drive is not "really fragmented". So Nandan if you want to install texture before every flight, go right ahead because nothing bad is going to happen!

Hi Jim.So what your saying is that even though the texures being replaced by the same file name, they end up going back into the same location in the disk? I was always under the impression, that anytime you overwrite a file it would go to a new location on the disk, thus causing the need for a defrag to put the said files back into the same location they oringinally started?For example, after you install GEPro or GEX and replace the default textures with the new ones, even though they are the same file names as the default one, a defrag was recommended, at least that's what NickN used to say. I would have imagined that re-running REX and installing new sky, cloud, runway, water, and whatever other textures would cause the same thing to happen, even though they are the same files names as the default textures. I think that is the point B777ER was making when he said that. In fact, after I have installed new REX textures and ran my defrag program it would always show a bunch of files out of order, even if I had recently defragged.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

What I want to know is how and the heck replacing default textures, even over and over again, causes a hard drive to become severely fragmented. If that is the case there are tens of thousands of ASv6.5, GE Pro, FE, REX users out there with hard drives that are ready to explode from fragmentation.And how long has ASv6.5 been replacing default textures? Since FS2004 was released. FE and GEP soon after that!Guess what? I install some type of textures from some program before each FS2004 session and it takes about 2 minutes and my hard drive is not "really fragmented". So Nandan if you want to install texture before every flight, go right ahead because nothing bad is going to happen!
It was me who installs new textures every flight. There is a difference in the rain clouds using REX. Everyone is forgetting the GB load of textures for REX. My flights are different for each time I fly. That is one of the main purposes for REX. i do defrag my drive once a month with no problems. This is just good computer cleaning. One last time, to all who want the same BORING flight do not reload any REX textures. For those who want to experience new looks, just like the real weather produces, than load REX beofre every flight. period.Carl Perry 7+year sim pilot