Sign in to follow this  
Guest Miller

Aircraft Carrier Landings CFS2 any help...

Guest Miller

Having trouble landing on an aircraft carrier in CFS2. Hook down, gear down, speed right, glide path right, flaps down. LSO shows I am in right form, then I get to deck, cut engines and tail hook never grabs. Tried many times. Obviously there is something I'm not doing. Maybe more of a flair than usual? Any suggestions are welcome. I posted in CFS forum but not many people stop by there.Miller

Guest outtatimeiii

Since the tail hook is located near the tail wheel, you almost have to three-point land or get the tail as close as you can to the ground. As I recall, there should be a line on the carrier where the hook line is (havent played CFS2 for a long time LOL), make sure you land before it.

Guest Douglas K

You didn't mention which aircraft you 're having trouble with on the carrier landings. I had a hard time with the F4F Wildcat, the main landing gear damping ratio was too low making every landing a series of skips and bounces no matter how soft the initial touchdown.It was nearly impossible to catch a wire on the ship with this aircraft due to the bouncing, so I increased the length of the tailhook by about 3 feet and finally managed to hook the cable and stop. I have since reworked the damping ratio to cure the bouncing on landing, but have left the hook at the modified length because I need all the help I can get when it comes to landing on a boat!If you want to try the longer tailhook, then use notepad to open the aircraft.cfg file of the aircraft you want to modify, and in the following section (this is from the F4U Corsair):[TailHook]tailhook_length=4<-----change to 7 tailhook_position = -15.0, 0.0, -1.0 cable_force_adjust = 1.0increase the default length by three feet or so.You might also try offloading some fuel and using a slower approach speed, around 95-105 KIAS for the American aircraft works best for me. Also, I think that the LSO on duty really isn't the best man on the ship for the job, I suspect he's just filling in for the regular LSO who went on sick call with a hangover or something he picked up on leave.I close the LSO window to eliminate the distraction, you need all your concentration on the stern of that big boat you're descending towards, not a stupid little man in a box who gives you wrong directions.

Guest daveg4otu

Don't know about CFS or how its carrier systems work but I do carrier flying in FS2k2 using arrcab carriers/arrestors.Mainly fly the C2A greyhound and ,after a few crashes initially ,I found the best way to ensure a capture was to literally fly the aircraft onto the deck with minimum flare and bags of power.If you miss(which doesn't seem to happen much doing it this way) ,you've got the speed for a bolter.I realise this may not help ,but I would be interested to know how the arrestor system works in CFSDaveAny landing you can walk away from is a good one

Guest Miller

I put length of tail-hook at 7 feet and landed the first try. Thanks for the tip, though that feels like cheating. It does seem like too much flare is not a good thing either. Coming in at about deck level and cutting power before you reach the leading edge of the deck allows the plane to drop onto the deck just after you pass over the edge, which is how I landed on the couple of passes I tried. Also at a speed of 95-100.The LSO's timing is not good and by the time he tells you to cut power and land you are too close unless you happen to be dropping like a rock anyway. So I ignore the LSO now also. The game says you need to do a three point landing, so am thinking to land with the 3ft tailhook you have to be in just the right attitude to nail it? Will try landing with more power as well, as has been suggested. The plane I have been trying to land is the Wildcat. I watched 'Midway' yesterday and noticed the arresting cables start just a few yards from the stern edge of the deck and the planes would come in and do a pretty hard three point landing. How they didn't destroy those tiny rear wheels with those landing is a mystery. It appeared that wheels was forced down into the deck with great force. Anyway, thanks alot for the help and suggestions. These forums are amazing to say the least. Miller

Guest Miller

I put length of tail-hook at 7 feet and landed the first try. Thanks for the tip, though that feels like cheating. It does seem like too much flare is not a good thing either. Coming in at about deck level and cutting power before you reach the leading edge of the deck allows the plane to drop onto the deck just after you pass over the edge, which is how I landed on the couple of passes I tried. Also at a speed of 95-100.The LSO's timing is not good and by the time he tells you to cut power and land you are too close unless you happen to be dropping like a rock anyway. So I ignore the LSO now also. The game says you need to do a three point landing, so am thinking to land with the 3ft tailhook you have to be in just the right attitude to nail it? Will try landing with more power as well, as has been suggested. The plane I have been trying to land is the Wildcat. I watched 'Midway' yesterday and noticed the arresting cables start just a few yards from the stern edge of the deck and the planes would come in and do a pretty hard three point landing. How they didn't destroy those tiny rear wheels with those landing is a mystery. It appeared that wheels was forced down into the deck with great force. Anyway, thanks alot for the help and suggestions. These forums are amazing to say the least. millerMiller

Guest jinks

I normally ignore the LSO (though sometimes his 'go left' and go right' commands are correct--but I ignore the 'yoo-lpw-too high commands' and I come in with parking brakes set (CTL+ . (period) and that stops me-- I recently had a series of landings with the Hellcat (default) and boltered 1 out of 20 times--missed only one. And my bolter was a case where I was too high and I did not even bother to touch the deck--just flew on and around...