Sign in to follow this  

problems with IFR navigation with captain sim 727?

I put in the course heading, the correct nav beacon number in nav radio 1. activate it, and set the autopilot to the nav setting.But the airplane keeps flying on a different course, example:I set it to 129, and the airplane was flying 150. The ATC obviously kept telling me to turn left and proceed on course, and after doing that, I set the nav again and it went right back to the different course heading. What am I doing wrong? I know the autopilot adjusts for wind and such, but I am going to keep getting called on to go back from the ATC if this keeps up. Help!

Is your autopilot set to the NAV function or the HEADING function. The VOR should be set so it shows a TO radial and the NAV button illuminated on the autopilot and it will track on that TO radial.

Guest cimgrp

Have you checked to make sure there are no conflicts between the settings on the Collins Flight Director (glareshield) and the Sperry AutoPilot (popup)? Especially with the roll mode knob on the Sperry. This is covered in the manual (fd.htm and autopilot.htm sections).

It tracks the nav beacon because I see the number of miles away the airplane is on the lower part of the panel. I made sure the autopilot is set to "nav", and the proper beacon number is on the nav1 radio. There are no conflicts either, it seems to be tracking it but not as well as the ATC wants. It keeps telling me to turn left heading .... then proceed on course. I turn left like they say, switch back to nav from heading and the airplane goes right and past the course line and goes back to the old course, then the ATC calls me again to tell me to turn left, and the same thing happens over again.I'm flying with FS2004, could this be a bug or am I missing something here?

they both show nav as the autopilot setting. There are no other differences. The only other thing I see that could be the problem, is I'm using FS2004.

Guest Tim W

The captSim 727 has no GPS switch on the panel, to simulate this,If you are flying a flight plan in FS9, go to assignments and create a keyboard shortcut for NAV/GPS switch. (scroll down the list till you find the entry)Now when you are flying the flight plan, hit the key you selected, this will simulate the gps being switched on, then put the a/p switch onto VOR/LOC and it will fly the flightplan. Then, no more ATC calls !regardsTimhttp://www.cambridgeflyingclub.com/images/timavatar2.jpg