Sign in to follow this  
bob.bernstein

Tacoma Narrows Scenery in FS2004

I tried using Bob Bernstein's excellent scenery in FS2004, but only problem is that some of the trees appear as a black rectangular object. Has anyone tried this? I also installed Gray's tree library, but that did not solve the problem.Thanks for any help!Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

Hi Airbus, this is easily understood...fs9 no longer supports older extended bitmap formats. Thus, what had been previously coded as transparent, now appears as opaque black. I'll provide a fix soon...right now, I've been taking a break from design....actually flying the sim!Bob Bernstein

Airbus, I started to think thru the state of Tacoma...realized that it wouldn't be too much work to fix this....I think I have it done. I have converted textures, zip file is a bit over 3mb. I'll send it to you if you can accept that big a file. That way you can test it before it gets generally distributed. I find the textures work well on my machine, and the frame rates are better also.Let me know where to send it...you can send me a private message if you wish to keep ur email more private.Bob Bernstein

Guest nhill

Hi Bob. I also would like to see Tacoma upgraded as it and Harvey are the two airports I'd like to keep as photorealistic. I have Tacoma installed but I've only landed at night and didn't notice the trees. I think your Harvey is in GMax and looks great. Are there two runways at Harvey now? A couple of years ago they were talking about adding one and I see Microsoft shows it but I haven't been back since I don't feel comfortable just walking around the field since 9/11, might get arrested! Keep up the great work.

Hi Neil, the second runway is in at harvey, has been for a year or so. I just haven't added it, cuz its grass, and there really isn't much indication of it in real life. I don't much like the way the default indicates grass strips.Best,Bob Bernstein

I had this scenery installed in FS2k2 and used Lago's free utility fsmigrate which transfers scenery links only to FS9 (OK as long as you intend to keep FS2k2 installed). In this mode, interestingly, the trees appear perfectly in FS9 without any need for new textures.

Guest nhill

Thanks Bob, just picked up the Tacoma Narrows update here at Avsim. It seems to me that MS made the asphalt runway at Harvey very narrow, the wings of all planes hang over the edges. Is there an easy way to widen it? The grass runway looks much bigger! Thanks for the Tacoma update, I'll get it in tonight.

I think the runway is right...its a really narrow runway. It used to make me sweat a tad to land there in a cross wind, mostly cuz its so narrow. its supposed to be only 36ft wide. I take another look at the default, thou I mostly fly with my addon in place.B