Hi guys,Im looking for a new card that perform more in AA conditions.Im not happy with my current card the ATI HD5850.System specs:I7 860 @4ghz.8GB DDR MSI GS65650Watts powerWich card is better for me.. GTX460 or the more expensive GTX470.Thanks for tips

It's hard to say which one's better for you. The 460 comes highly recommended as the best bang for the buck, but if you're willing to part with the extra money, go ahead and get a 470.

GTX 470 Maximum GPU Temperature (in C)105 C, Maximum Graphics Card Power (W)215 W, Minimum Recommended System Power (W)550 W, Supplementary Power Connectors6-pin x2, High Dynamic-Range Lighting128bit
GTX 480 Maximum GPU Temperature (in C)105 C, Maximum Graphics Card Power (W)250 W, Minimum Recommended System Power (W)600 W, Supplementary Power Connectors6-pin & 8-pin, High Dynamic-Range Lighting128bit
The PSU may need upgrading if you get the 480.

The PSU may need upgrading if you get the 480.
GTX480 is not a option.. It is GTX 460 vs GTX 470.how big is the performance different between 460 and 470 in FSX

It's hard to say which one's better for you.  The 460 comes highly recommended as the best bang for the buck, but if you're willing to part with the extra money, go ahead and get a 470.
It depends on if you want a cool and quiet card bad enough!  I'm sure that the 470 - with its extra shaders may work a bit smoother but I really like a card that doesn't divide my case cooling in half.enjoyjja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

GTX480 is not a option.. It is GTX 460 vs GTX 470.how big is the performance different between 460 and 470 in FSX
*facepalm* I misread "460" as "480" brickwall.gif

If it helps, SpiritFlyer has tested the GTX 275, 470, and 480 and logged his results in this thread. It does not address the 460, but I would imagine it's slightly better than the 275 based on this chart from PassMark.To address the issue of size, a quick look at the EVGA and MSI websites shows that the 470 seems to run about an inch longer than the 460.

That is a good price...anyway to add more ram to it to accommodate a triple screen setup?
No you don't need more RAM to run 3 screens 1.2Gb is fine. But the thing is you'll need 2 cards then Or you can go with ATi 5XXX which supports 3 monitors on 1 card, of course your FSX performance won't be as good for the money.

No you don't need more RAM to run 3 screens 1.2Gb is fine. But the thing is you'll need 2 cards then Or you can go with ATi 5XXX which supports 3 monitors on 1 card, of course your FSX performance won't be as good for the money.
I have a triplehead2go and an ati card with 1gig ram and it doesnt seem to be enough. The extra ram is so i can keep a high FPS while there are a zillion textures spread across 3 screens while landing at a new york airport.

Well if you want go ahead and but another. But what's your Ati card? It probaly performs worse that 2 GTX460 or 470 in SLI for sure.

Well if you want go ahead and but another. But what's your Ati card? It probaly performs worse that 2 GTX460 or 470 in SLI for sure.
Its 3 years old now. HD3870x2. Ive been with ATI for my last few cards but I'm disappointed with how they handle smoke and clouds, not just in FSX but in any game. Crossfire is also next to useless. So I give up on them I want to go back to nvidia. SLI & physx would be good to have.

I'm not sure there are any NVidia cards that have three DVI outputs, but most, if not all, 4X0 series cards do have one mini HDMI and two DVI outputs. That means you could stick to one GPU if one of your monitors has an HDMI input; you'd just need a mini HDMI to HDMI cable or adapter.It's a little bit above your $300 budget, but running two 460s in SLI would blow away almost any single card out there, and that includes the 480. If you did that though, you'd want to get a stronger power supply.