Sign in to follow this  
Daviddv

Which bgl file contains a particular airport?

I can not seem to find the answer to this.Is there an easy way (or a piece of freeware) that one can use to locate the .bgl that contains a particlar airport? Obviously it is easy enough with addons, but in the scenedbeasthemeurnw for example there are a huge number of meaningless file names.Can anyone help on this?ThanksDavid(I'm referring to FS2k2)

First of all, I am all but familiar with scenery/BGL stuff. Anyway, there's a tool out there (AFDTree) by Manfred Moldenhauer, head over to www.scasm.de and get SCASM first, I think AFDTree is included there. Then you can open up the files in the SCENEDB/AFDFILES/SCENERY directory and start searching... lolBut this is, as the name already states, just for the AFD (at least in FS8), not the visuals.Good luck,Etienne

EtienneThanks for your suggestion, but I already have Scasm and AFDTree.As you said, AFDTree seems to work only on the afd files. I have also got BGLAnalyse, but while this produces a .sca file which gives the Lat/Long of the contained scenery, it doesn't give the airport names. I'm sure someone must have written a program which can search the .bgls.I shall keep looking...David

If you get NAV 3.0 by Ted Wright for FS2002 it will give you the file name of the bgl. Just search for the airport and click in it and the details will show the file name. Regards, Bob.P.S It won't work in FS2004 yet.

Hi DavidI have what I think is an excellent solution for you:InfoRapid Search & Replace 3.0c is one ofthe most powerful search and replaceutilities currently available for the PC.It can use WinWord converters to searchand preview all common file formats.System requirements:Windows 95, 98 or NT 4.0Copyright © 1998-1999 byIngo StraubSchuetzenhof 273116 Waeschenbeuren (Germany)E-Mail: info@inforapid.comPhone: +49-(0)7161-582151Fax: +49-(0)7161/582152WWW: www.inforapid.com(I assume the link is still valid)I have used this for about four years and it will search anything.Just point it to your scenery files such as eurw or eure and list the airport name such as LIMC and it will rapidly tell you which APxxxx.bgl file it is in.I use Win2000 as my OS.I have been using inforapidsearch for locating airports as I convert all the little parking spaces into large gates, while waiting for AFCAD to arrive.CheersMike

For FS2004, I've been using an Explorer file w/text search with the apt identifier as the text string. All airport files are prefixed with ap in FS2004. So I use s search mask of ap*.bgl.... For instance, if you want to locate the bgl containing KSFO, search the NAMW folder for files containing text "KSFO". Using this search in this example yields the filename ap915180.bgl...Beware, however. One APxxxxxx.bgl can contain many airports. As an example, the bgl mentioned also contains KAPC, KOAK, KSJC, etc.... Also, the ap bgl's don't contain the buildings--just the runways/taxiways, AFD data, and taxiway signs.... Here's an example of SFO, without the runways/taxiways after I renamed the bgl in my example above :) Note that you can see clearly the runways from the underlying photoreal texture, however.....-Johnhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/34848.jpg