Sign in to follow this  
badaboom

42 yrs ago today

The first 747 rolled out of Everett today,42'years ago!!..........Incredible that she's still as dominant as ever!!

Congratulations Boeing!Thank you for creating this remarkable aircaft and inspiring the dream of many people, especially children around the world. This must be the most iconic and most recognized airplane in the world.Truly a testament to human ingenuity.

Yes. It is too bad however, that the "real" best recognized aircraft (744) has been retired. Only 748s from here on out.I'd like to see some alien shrug his protrusions at the fact that 400 revolutions of the sun ago, we were exploring the world in a boat. 200 revolutions ago, we were playing with electricity, and thinking the lightbulb was a pretty cool invention. Come 100 revolutions ago (I mean you can count to 100 in your head!), we first tasted flight, there we have been, and there we will long to return.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

we first tasted flight, there we have been, and there we will long to return.
Paraphrasing Leonardo da Vinci there? :(

Yes, and now it is in your signature. Or it has been there and I never noticed.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Yes, and now it is in your signature. Or it has been there and I never noticed.
Big%20Grin.gifI have been wanting to change my signature for a while now, since the J41 Banner was getting old. Your short essay inspired me to use Leonardo's quote. I hope you don't mind.It will probably stay until the NGX banners arrive.By the way, I wonder why this topic got so few responses. Where are all the 747 fans?

"Where are all the 747 fans?"Right here!I remember in the early 70's going on a class trip to JFK. We got to ride out on the crash truck and shoot foam (which was the highlight for some of the kids) but the real high point for me was getting to sit in the Capt seat of a TWA 747-100 series in the old livery. I still remember it clearly to this day! Fortunately I have flown on more 747-400's than anything else I have flown in and it really is a remarkable aircraft. Sadly, the route I fly most often (JFK-NRT) has been replaced with 777-300ER's (well, maybe not TOO sadly!) and therefore I am unlikely to travel in one anytime soon, but thankfully Japan still uses alot of 747s domestically, so it could happen if I fly from Tokyo to Sapporo again. I'll keep my fingers crossed :(

Bill Howard

pmdg_trijet.jpg