Sign in to follow this  
Guest 747drvr

What do you guys n gals do when....

Guest A321

Hi all,I just finished a flight from, EGLL - to KIAD, using IDFG's 767, and lonney's panle, awesome combination IMHO.However what do you guys do when your in CRZ and the Autopilot is taking care of things. I just seemed to get a bit boared thats all. Im not complaining, just wandering if im missing something. I did check the weather, plan my descent and stuff. once over canada i used a little 16X for a while, just before ATC started to descend me. So guys n Gals what do you do? am I missing something, or is this pretty much what happens in real life? apart from the 16X :)Jason

Enjoy the scenery, Check out the pretty pretty clouds.... Oh wait, you said you do that. Take out an IFR flight plan. The ATC will keep you a lot busier than VFR (go here, go there, go back to there...sometimes a little too busy). Turn off the autopilot. It'll keep your mind sharp. ;-)It is a civilian flight sim after all. That's uhh, pretty much it. Pretty sweet eh?Btw, I do 16X in real-life all the time. Sometimes after a few Snickers bars washed down with a quart of Jolt cola, I'll even hit 32X!

I usually 8x to 16x and keep my finger on the ATC key to respond to my handoffs. Until I am about 100nm out, then the autopilot comes off and I take over to landing. I admit it gets pretty boring sitting in the cockpit for hours. Especially on those long haul flights. I find no shame in fast forwarding to the best part. Landing....

Guest captbulldog

I eat, sleep and read a book and enjoy the hum of the 2 GE's engines.

Guest odog

I surf the web thru the knee board! What an awesome way to kill time, much like real pilots i bet. I can now look up information on the city im going to, check the radar, and respond to posts. Im really enjoying this new trick. If your getting bored you need this discovery for yourself!

Well you could work on your spelling a bit. Boared? Wandering? (ok correctly spelt if you mean walking around).No offence intended, just a friendly joke.:-)Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest crashing_pilot

well,I make sure to have a plane that needs to be flown:727,737-200,and my favourite:DC-8,for the longer journeys that is....for the short ones i use either a 737 or the dash 7....and so i'm never bored in cruise ;-)

Guest SlimDady

I got a tv right behind me so ocationally i turn aroudn to watch.. or i watch scenery.. but not much goes on above 30,000feet

Guest tascaso

I used to do very long flights 12 hour non-stops so then you can clean bathrooms run the vacumm... fold laundry your wife will think you are a hero!I do very short flights now...my long haul days are over. I spend time with my 15 month old daughter instead!LoveTony

Guest BAW894

Well I never fly a route thats more than 2 hours, I fly in the Uk and just over the coast in Holland, mostly EHAM to EGKK or vice versa, as I only have limited time available due to wife and kids, but flying on Vatsim helps to add a bit more realism to the procedures, so never realy get much time to become bored.

Guest 747drvr

yea, it gets very boring especially in real life I live it. look at the scenery look at charts, I surf the web on a wireless laptop when the boss is driving